To upgrade from my HTR-5590 or not to upgrade...... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5590 that is working fine for my current surround setup. I've bought a new house (haven't moved in yet to set this up so this a hard question I realize), but am curious if I should upgrade or not. I have bought 2 pairs (4 speakers) of Polk Monitor 70's for the front and the back of the new surround set up and a CS2 center channel, with a Boston 12" (I can't remember which model) sub. Zone control isn't a huge deal for me in the new house and I listen to mainly TV and movies, but also like the ability to turn on all channels equally to crank up the music.

My question is I found a Sony STR-DN1040 for $450 at Worst Buy yesterday and bought it. The hookups of the HDMI, the great wifi features and all of the other features on the Sony are a great bonus, but not a necessity. Will I notice a difference in the sound quality of the 2 receivers with my new set up? I can't set them up side by side in the new house before I pass the return date at BB, so any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate68dog View Post

I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5590 that is working fine for my current surround setup. I've bought a new house (haven't moved in yet to set this up so this a hard question I realize), but am curious if I should upgrade or not. I have bought 2 pairs (4 speakers) of Polk Monitor 70's for the front and the back of the new surround set up and a CS2 center channel, with a Boston 12" (I can't remember which model) sub. Zone control isn't a huge deal for me in the new house and I listen to mainly TV and movies, but also like the ability to turn on all channels equally to crank up the music.

My question is I found a Sony STR-DN1040 for $450 at Worst Buy yesterday and bought it. The hookups of the HDMI, the great wifi features and all of the other features on the Sony are a great bonus, but not a necessity. Will I notice a difference in the sound quality of the 2 receivers with my new set up? I can't set them up side by side in the new house before I pass the return date at BB, so any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!

I had the STR-DN1030 and I thought it was a great-sounding receiver. I happened to get a great deal on a Pioneer Elite, so I did wind up exchanging it—but that had nothing to do with sound quality, Sony's latest offerings are solid, sound great and the digital and wireless features are probably best-in-class at the price.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs2 Center Channel Speaker Single Black , Sony Strdn1030 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Strdn1030 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page