Best receiver for under $400 - 7.2 surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys!

I'm sure you get this question ALL THE TIME. I tried searching for some AVR's and I found plenty of reviews.

However- I am not sure what to get, there are so many options out there.

That is why I', asking for help. I think with your expertise, I can get a good recommendation.

This is what I recently purchased. It is going to go in a small living room.

Samsung 55" LED - 1080p -120Hz - 6300 Series -- MODEL# UN55F6300AF

MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1

As you can see, I have pretty basic stuff. I got the Martin Logan's at a price steal, and I am aware that some of them have a sub problem (which is covered under warranty)

My questions:

*What is the best receiver for under $400 that will power and compliment this system? Now, I am looking to expand in the future so maybe a 7.1 will work for me. I was reading about the HDMI Return channel capabilities, but I don't think my TV supports that. Also, not sure how many watts per channel either... 90/100/105? I don't care much about "eco" receivers, or having multiple Zones. Wireless would be good but not necessary. 4K upscaling is also not necessary but would be a plus for the future. Possibly something that is easy to tune (speaker hz/crossover)

I will be using this combo for Movies (blurays), app streaming (Amazon Prime/Netflix), Sony PS4 Video Game, and some music (ipad/iphone plug in). So basically, for Audio and Video but focusing more on Video.

*What type of wires do I need (14 gauge?) and HDMI cable?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-04-2013, 01:27 PM

The Sony STR-DN840 7.2 Channel 1050-Watt A/V Receiver sells for between $399 and $359 (depending on what kind of support you require). With 6 HDMI inputs, HDMI 4K and 3D pass-through, Blu-tooth, and Wi-Fi
post #3 of 10 Old 12-04-2013, 03:04 PM

the problem i've found with lower budget receivers is they don't have pre-outs which eliminates the ability to have a separate amp. I would love to find a cheap-ish receiver to decode all the movie goodies fed from my computer and powered by a 200wpc amp!
post #4 of 10 Old 12-04-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I thought that having an external amp is only for higher dB's. I will be fairly close to the speakers (no more than 8 feet away).

How much do Receivers run with pre-outs?

I will look into that Sony Receiver.

post #5 of 10 Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Liked: 18
I got the 7.2 Sony dh740. Its 80$~ cheaper than the dn840. Wish i had got the 840 instead. Reasons being is because it has airplay and six hdmi inputs to my four, the .2 in mine is really just a built in splitter not true left/right support, and no airplay. But it does cover most audio, has a basic automatic setup to help tune it, is 7.2, 4k, deep color support, and 3d. No pre outs though. If only for a basic room it may suit your needs.

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
post #6 of 10 Old 12-04-2013, 04:20 PM

Btw your f6300 does support arc audio return channel. Look on the back of the TV where your hdmi inputs are one of them will say arc on it. Pretty awesome feature. And as for 4k scaling don't worry air it. As long as your receiver has 4k support your 4k tv will probably scale better in the future than any current av receiver currently made.

post #7 of 10 Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader963 View Post

Btw your f6300 does support arc audio return channel. Look on the back of the TV where your hdmi inputs are one of them will say arc on it. Pretty awesome feature. And as for 4k scaling don't worry air it. As long as your receiver has 4k support your 4k tv will probably scale better in the future than any current av receiver currently made.

I'm currently having a problem with the ARC were it drops my audio for about 1/2 a second every 5-10 seconds while watching OTA netflix (tv) . PCM drops less frequent but on Dolby digital - drops every 5-10!
post #8 of 10 Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM

Try posting your question to the f6300 owners thread. There's probably someone else who had had same problem. I believe certain Sony and Vizio tvs had that problem too while streaming. Two questions 1. What receiver did you get??? 2. Are you streaming thru a seperate device or thru the TV itself???

post #9 of 10 Old 12-16-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader963 View Post

Try posting your question to the f6300 owners thread. There's probably someone else who had had same problem. I believe certain Sony and Vizio tvs had that problem too while streaming. Two questions 1. What receiver did you get??? 2. Are you streaming thru a seperate device or thru the TV itself???
Thanks for your prompt response!
I'm streaming through the TV itself (apps), tv has wireless connectivity.
I got an onkyo 626. I've tried expensive hdmi cables as well- tv streams netflix thru tv speakers perfectly fine, but once connected to receiver through ARC- audio drops if the content is on 5.1/Dolby digital. I could go to the video settings when watching something- and if I change the digital audio setting to PCM audio drops a lot less frequent. Video is not affected whatsoever.
Receiver also plays music fine if I connect my phone to the receiver through blutooth .

Also, if I open up pandora on the tv (ARC connection to receiver) , the music will sound ok but drop 1/2 every 1-2min or so.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Hhhhmmmm....... Can you tell how strong your wifi signal is??? One experiment may be to hook a wired connection to TV and see if that is the weak link. 5.1 takes more info than pcm so if it happens frequently on 5.1 and less so on pcm that may be your problem. Have you asked anyone in owners thread?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn840
Gear in this thread - Dn840 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page