Setting up new TV with HDMI to receiver with NO HDMI inputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hi All,

Just joined here and am looking forward to learning a LOT about home theatre from all you smart people:)

I am hoping I can get some assistance...

I am replacing my first generation HDTV (CRT LOL) with a Panasonic 55ST60 plasma.  However, my old receiver has no HDMI whereas the new TV does.

Here is my question:

Can I hook up my cable box and blu ray to the TV via HDMI (one HDMI for each), BUT ALSO run digital coax or digital optical from each of these directly to my receiver for the audio?  I was told that I shouldn't try and hook up the TV directly to the receiver (the only way I could would be component).

Will haveing the sound carried by both HDMI and my seperate audio be an issue (I am thinking I could just turn off the TV speakers) as I have a full 7.1 speaker setup.

Also, will this cause any type of sync issue with the audio/video?  I am currently doing this with compenent cables and digital audio cables and am fine, but I have heard this tv has a fair bit of lag.

Anyway, any suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks in advance:)

Dave

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Will haveing the sound carried by both HDMI and my seperate audio be an issue

If you turn your TV speakers down/off you wont have any issues.

One thing, your Blu Ray player probably cannot send HDMI audio and optical/digital coax audio at the same time. You have to make a choice in the system setup for the Blu Ray player how digital audio will be output. You can definitely send the video to the TV via HDMI and audio from optical/ digital coax to the receiver.

Cable box can send audio/video from all outputs simulteneously.
Quote:
Also, will this cause any type of sync issue with the audio/video? I am currently doing this with compenent cables and digital audio cables and am fine, but I have heard this tv has a fair bit of lag.

You'll never know for sure unless you try it...

What receiver do you have by the way, you didn't mention make or model.

Afro GT
post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

hey afrogt,

Sorry it's an old Harmon Kardon AVR525.  The thing still is running great - almost 11 years old.  My speaker are all mirage (canadian company) and my sub is a 6 year old velodyne 10" DLS.

So worst case scenario there is a lag between audio and video (I have already read that for this TV this happens when going to external speakers) the only thing I can do is mess with the delay on the receiver (it lets me change distance - I guess to account for cable length)?

its funny, I was all gung ho in this world when I first put together my setup in 2003 but with all the advances in the last decade, I chose to bury my head in the sand rather than try and keep up lol....

Honestly, the tv I have now is still running great - Toshiba 36HFX72 (it's a flat screen 4:3 CRT that weights about a tonne haha)..just time to upgrade :)

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
post #4 of 7 Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

One other question...

If I am not hooking upo my TV to my receiver directly, when I have to change settings on the reciver, do I just throw a yellow videos cable between the two and unplug it when I am done?  Remember, my recveiver has no HDMI and I don't want to connect the tv to the receiver by component (unless you guys think that is ok).  Wouldn't that be the limiting factor though (if all other things are HDMI to the tv).

I think I am starting to confuse myself lol

thanks

dave

post #5 of 7 Old 12-09-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
yeah, you can do that or leave the yellow cable connected. Whatever works best for you.

Many of the settings you can do w/o using the on screen display. But you have to be very familiar with the remote and receiver display. I have an old HK 325 so it has the same options as your 525.

Afro GT
post #6 of 7 Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

How can I leave that connected?  Wouldn't that then be the bridge between the tv and reciever (whic I don't want)?

post #7 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

One other question...

If I hook up the new TV to the cable box and blu ray via HDMI but run the audio from both of theose components to the receiver via digital audio and if there is a lip sync issue, how can I get rid of it?  I can't get a new AVR right now and the old one I have has no HDMI or DELAY settings....

I am guessing my options are:

1.  Connect blu ray and cable box to TV via HDMI and connect tv to receiver via optical (however this is only 2 channel and I loose my 5.1), but this should not give sync issues correct?

2.  use tv speakers - terrible option but would have no sync issues

3.  Get a new receiver.  Now for this option would I connect the blur ray  and the cable box to the TV and then connect the TV to the receiver? 

Advice?  #3 is really not an option right now but when it is I would like to know the best way.  And using HDMI doesn't garuntee no sync issues right?  The receiver with the delay adjustment is what takes care of that right?

Thanks for your help.  Sorry I know-lots of questions...

Dave

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Harman Kardon Avr 525 Dolby Digital Receiver
Gear in this thread