AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Subwoofer output dead on Pioneer Elite VSX-33?! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1503914-subwoofer-output-dead-pioneer-elite-vsx-33-a.html)

jchas41 12-05-2013 06:35 PM

I need some assistance as I'm out of ideas. I recently noticed that my velodyne dps-12 was no longer outputting any sound, after checking connections, cables and settings I've come to the conclusion that my receiver must be faulty. I tapped on my RCA cable and my sub responds, I also hooked it up to my bluray player and played a cd which produced bass. When running mcacc setup on my Pioneer it does not output test tones to my sub, I of course have my sub on and speakers set to small, crossover at 80. Everything worked fine for two years and all other speakers and hdmi outs are all functioning normal. Is it possible that just the sub output went bad? Seems so unlikely. I'd appreciate any ideas before I start looking for repair centers. Thanks.

FMW 12-06-2013 04:04 AM

More likely that the sub's amp has failed but it the LFE port on the receiver is certainly a possibility.

jchas41 12-06-2013 04:16 AM

Would the sub produce sound when hooked up to a source or when tapping on the end of the cable if the amp is shot? I would rather it be the sub truthfully because my sub is older, I'm gonna borrow my brothers sub today and see if it works.

FMW 12-06-2013 09:02 AM

That will settle it. I would also hope it is the plate amp. They are easy and inexpensive to replace.

commsysman 12-06-2013 09:18 AM

Look at the bright side.

This is your excuse to buy a Cambridge 651R receiver and pitch the Japanese junk in a dumpster.

You will feel so much better and it will SOUND so much better.

Make yourself a Christmas present!

jchas41 12-06-2013 11:33 AM

Okay did some more testing today and it is definetly the receiver. Tried using my brothers sub and it didnt produce any sound. Switched the cable from the subwoofer out to the center preamp directly above it and bingo sound! Very strange though as it appears the only output affected is the subwoofer out. Anyways I brought it to the repair shop and am hoping its nothing major. Thanks again.

FMW 12-06-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Look at the bright side.

This is your excuse to buy a Cambridge 651R receiver and pitch the Japanese junk in a dumpster.

You will feel so much better and it will SOUND so much better.

Make yourself a Christmas present!

Where is the cambridge 651r manufactured?

FMW 12-06-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas41 View Post

Okay did some more testing today and it is definetly the receiver. Tried using my brothers sub and it didnt produce any sound. Switched the cable from the subwoofer out to the center preamp directly above it and bingo sound! Very strange though as it appears the only output affected is the subwoofer out. Anyways I brought it to the repair shop and am hoping its nothing major. Thanks again.

Sorry to hear it. Good luck with the repair.

jchas41 12-23-2013 06:26 PM

Well, didn't get the news I was hoping for. Although, the repair shop I used seemed totally incompetent. After "looking at it" for almost two weeks, they shop called and said that the digital board was defective and deemed the receiver "beyond repair". Honestly, I'm stunned because the only thing that seemed to not be working was the LFE out. The shop did not provide much of an answer to my questions so I was pretty pissed. I'm debating whether or not to drive it about an hour away to have an authorized Pioneer Elite shop take a look at it. The big downside there is cost, the minimum repair cost is $165.00 and it could go up from there. I did in the meantime pickup a Yamaha 2020 on clearance at Bestbuy so I can take my sweet time with the Elite since it will be just be used in game room if I get it repaired.