Onkyo HT-R2295 vs Yamaha RX-V673 - Audessey vs. YPAO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I jumped on the Yamaha RX-V673 deal for $300 last week, and I just found a deal for the Onkyo HT-R2295 for $250.

I'm not really asking which outperforms which, more so what would be the better value for what I am looking to do.

My goal is to have a 5.1 setup in the future, but start with 3.1 as my budget for speakers and a sub is only around $700-800 at the moment.  I'm thinking I should invest in higher quality speakers up front and pick up rears at a later date (All talk for another thread in the speakers forum later).

I've read about how much people prefer Audyssey to YPAO and am wondering if it would be worth it for me to effectively "downgrade" to the Onkyo just to get this.  I don't plan on using two subs at the moment, and even then would still be able to do so with the Onkyo, correct?

With the budget I've put aside for speakers, will I be able to get the same output using the Onkyo as the Yamaha?  Am I a fool for wanting to return the V673 since I got it for $300?  Did I make a bad decision spending $300 on a receiver when I'm only spending $800 on the rest?

Thanks for any replies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've been questioning myself on the same thing. I got the 673 and am wondering if I'm missing out by not having Audyssey. On the Onkyo you listed the version of Audyssey is the lowest there is and does not correct the sub, per http://www.avsforum.com/t/1087850/what-does-audyssey-2eq-and-audyssey-dynamic-eq-mean
post #3 of 27 Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I personally do not like the sound quality of those receivers.

If it was my money, I would get the Harman-Kardon AVR 2600, which Amazon has for $299.

They all have room setup functions, but the quality of the amplifiers is the fundamental thing.

Room correction can't make gold out of tin.

You can buy some Focal or Wharfedale speakers that will be very nice-sounding. IMO you are very wise to invest in decent speakers.

Music Direct is one dealer that carries them.
post #4 of 27 Old 12-06-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The Onkyo has basic Audyssey 2EQ which probably can't come close to the YPAO in that particular Yamaha since 2EQ can't even equalize the subwoofer. While not useless 2EQ comes very close to being just that since there is no sub equalization. I've owned both. The YPAO and Audyssey machines - IMO YPAO does as good a job as Audyssey - at least in my listening space. I've had everything from Audyssey 2EQ to Mult EQ XT32. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V3900 with YPAO. It sounds every bit as good as the NR818 (XT32) which is the last Audyssey powered AVR I've owned. My experiences with Audyssey and YPAO are about as subjective as commsysman's comment: "I personally do not like the sound quality of those receivers."

So - take it all with a grain of salt...

And FWIW you are close to comparing apples to oranges - the RX-V673 for $300 is a pretty good deal - the Onkyo HT-R2295 is a very basic AVR in comparison.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 27 Old 12-06-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, the HK you mentioned is listed at $499 on Amazon now.  

That's interesting that the 2eq does not correct the subwoofer.  I think with this and the extra work I would have to go through for the return, I'll be better off just sticking with the V673.

Also, I'll definitely make sure to check out the Focal and Wharfedale speakers you mentioned.

Thanks!

post #6 of 27 Old 12-26-2013, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am happy with my two Onkyo receivers: An NR-414 and an NR-616 plus a Yamaha RX-V473. I don't see much difference between them in performance. All three are network enabled with several choices including VTuner and Pandora on the Onkyo's. The quality of internet radio is amazing these days. Stations like ClazzFM in Curacao and Jazz FM 102.2. in London and hundreds more from all over the world are dynamically tuned in on these receivers. Both brands sound sweet and laid back and offer THX and many other soundfields.

Today is December 26th and Best Buy is offering the non-network Onkyo HT-R2295 for $199.00, enticing but no internet radio and other networked features. Amazon has been selling the TXNR-616 for around $318 for a couple of months......2012 model fully loaded list price $649.
Fox Mamba likes this.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I find YPAO does pretty much as well as Audyssey above 63hz in real-world application, but only the Yamaha models 2xxx and above with EQ the LFE channel which is where Audyssey MultEQ and above have the real advantage. I also feel Audyssey does a much better job than Yamaha's Adaptive DRC for low level listening.

This is one time I actually agree with commsysman as I like the HK 2600 at $299 myself. Sure, it doesn't have the features of competing receivers, but has a great amp section, great GUI, and Dolby Volume.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-02-2014, 12:45 AM

The HT-R2295 is $149.00 at Best Buy for in-store pickup:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-910w-7-1-ch-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver/2843013.p?id=1219079204943&skuId=2843013

It says "Deal of the Day" -- not sure if that means Thursday (not Thursday here yet).
post #9 of 27 Old 01-02-2014, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, from $250 down to $200, now $150.  Seems like they're trying to get rid of these things quick!  

This is perfect though since I have a friend trying to upgrade from his < $100 HTIB with less than $500 for a total budget.

Thanks!

post #10 of 27 Old 01-02-2014, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

And just to let everyone know, this forum is dangerous for the wallet!  I'm now eyeing the LV12R for my sub which stares at my $800 total speaker/sub budget and laughs :D.  I'm in the process of looking for a house to buy so it all depends on what type of room I'll be using for my HT for whether I'll need something bigger.

post #11 of 27 Old 01-02-2014, 05:44 AM

I just saw the Best Buy deal on the Onkyo 2295 for $150 as well...here's my situation: I bought a Pioneer VSX-522 refurbished model from Newegg on Thanksgiving. Because of their Iron Egg guarantee, I can return it through the end of January. While I'm very happy with the receivers sound and features for my purposes (it's a 3.1 bedroom setup), it randomly shut off power the other day while I was about an hour and a half into Avatar. I've read other reports of this problem, so it makes me very nervous that I have a defective receiver, but I have had very little time with it to know if this was some fluke or something that will occur in the future. That being said, I've got a buddy who had an Onkyo go out on him prematurely, so I'm not sure if I should add one anecdotal story to the equation or not. My question is: how do these two units compare on reliability and sound quality? Again, my guess is that feature-wise both would be more than adequate for my small needs.

Thanks,
Chris
post #12 of 27 Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracepreacher View Post

I just saw the Best Buy deal on the Onkyo 2295 for $150 as well...here's my situation: I bought a Pioneer VSX-522 refurbished model from Newegg on Thanksgiving. Because of their Iron Egg guarantee, I can return it through the end of January. While I'm very happy with the receivers sound and features for my purposes (it's a 3.1 bedroom setup), it randomly shut off power the other day while I was about an hour and a half into Avatar. I've read other reports of this problem, so it makes me very nervous that I have a defective receiver, but I have had very little time with it to know if this was some fluke or something that will occur in the future. That being said, I've got a buddy who had an Onkyo go out on him prematurely, so I'm not sure if I should add one anecdotal story to the equation or not. My question is: how do these two units compare on reliability and sound quality? Again, my guess is that feature-wise both would be more than adequate for my small needs.

Thanks,
Chris

My take would be that if you got the Onkyo you would be getting longer warranty and if you have a problem you might have a local Best Buy that you can deal with.

Also, if the Pioneer is giving you problems already I would do something about it.

Also, if you do get the Onkyo use a credit card that will extend the warranty for free.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 PM

Liked: 10
Great timely thread as I had an old Onkyo receiver go out on me (an HT-RC360, which to their credit Onkyo said that the problem I had (main speakers stopped working) was not unusual and they'll fix it for free). Unfortunately I can't be out of a receiver for the house for the 2-3 weeks while it's being repaired so now I'm looking to get a different one (will probably ebay the old one when it's fixed). I've been pretty happy with the onkyo so far, but thought I'd mix it up and try something new.

So I plunked down $399 for the RX-V673 at Amazon just the other day...then saw the Best Buy deal. Now I'm torn. That's a big enough of a difference to make it worth my while. I don't have very high requirements for a receiver so either one will be fine for me. Mostly it's got to switch multiple sources, support powered zone 2 and on rare occasions do surround sound. I figure I'll try the Yamaha out when it arrives and if I'm particularly happy with that can return the Onkyo to Best Buy. Or vice versa.
post #14 of 27 Old 01-03-2014, 02:14 PM

Bladerunner, thanks for the sound logic and good advice. I went ahead and purchased the Onkyo. Next question for everyone...I also have a Pioneer VSX-820 from several years ago in my main setup...is this Onkyo a better fit in that place for any reason? From what I can tell, the specs are similar in terms of power, distortion, inputs, etc. One feature I'm not using yet is ARC...I just have optical coming from my TV...seems to be no problem. I'm just trying to decide if I should leave what works alone, or swap everything around so the newest equipment is in the most crucial spot. I don't think newer is always better. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris
post #15 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 AM

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V573 7.1. With the cable box HDMI cable running through the Receiver I can NOT watch TV and listen to my Airplay device at the same time. My father just purchased the $150 Best Buy Deal of the Day Onkyo HT-R2295. Is he going to have the same problem?  Just  a side note: On my system, I ran the cable box HDMI cable directly to my Samsung TV and used an optical cable to the RX_V573. So my Blue Ray and Xbox runs through the receiver, which still sucks because if i'm playing Madden '13 I'm forced to listen to Simms instead of listening to music.

I forgot to mention that I realize my Yamaha has built in Airplay and the Onkyo does not. But my father does have an Airport Express that is going to be hooked up to the CD input.

post #16 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Floor View Post

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V573 7.1. With the cable box HDMI cable running through the Receiver I can NOT watch TV and listen to my Airplay device at the same time. My father just purchased the $150 Best Buy Deal of the Day Onkyo HT-R2295. Is he going to have the same problem?
I forgot to mention that I realize my Yamaha has built in Airplay and the Onkyo does not. But my father does have an Airport Express that is going to be hooked up to the CD input.

Hi Ron Floor, on the HT-R2295 you can watch a HDMI video and select an audio (like Tuner or music source connected & assigned to TV/CD port - via optical, coaxial or analog).

- connect music source to "TV/CD" jack via optical, coaxial or RCA
- select your HDMI video input source
- wait until the source video is playing
- on the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "TV/CD" or "AM" or "FM"
post #17 of 27 Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 PM

Thanks. That helped a lot of hair pulling. Now, am I correct on the Yamaha with Airplay built in? I can't watch video through an HDMI an listen to Airplay at the same time?

post #18 of 27 Old 01-08-2014, 12:58 PM

I have Onkyo HT-R2295 , I had Yamaha RX-V673.

Onkyo HT R2295                            Yamaha RX V673

1) No Ethernet.                                 1) Has ethernet, easier to connect to wirelessly.

2) Can buy a 20 Dollar Wifi adapter.    2)built in ethernet plug.

not very reliable.

3)better calibration (audesey).            3) Ypao is also Ok.

You can calibrate at 3 different

points. 

4) Has little distortion at very high        4)No distortion at all.

pitches.

5) Audesey make the sound better      5) Yamaha is not bad. 

at low and mid pitches.

6) Much cheaper. (I got mine for          6)Expensive ( 400 USD).    

150 USD).

7) Cannot display the remote             7)Easier to use, can display the remote on TV.  

display on TV. Harder to use

using the small LCD display.

In Conclusion Yamaha is a better receiver. It can work well even at very high tones. Also built in Ethernet gives edge over Onkyo.

Even the remote is much more convenient.

But Onkyo is not bad at all for the large price difference. 

I will pick Onkyo.

post #19 of 27 Old 01-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks for that comparison SAIK...I got the 2295 to replace a Pioneer VSX-820. I'm wondering...do you use Netflix 5.1 titles? If so, have you noticed a digital pop sound when you exit a Dolby Digital Plus stream "mid-stream"? My Onkyo is doing this, and I don't think it is normal.

Thanks,
Chris
post #20 of 27 Old 01-08-2014, 01:23 PM

I can hear the pop as well.
I don't hear it in Yamaha.
It depends on the design of audio codec, looks like Onkyo is using a older semiconductor chip.
But it won't be destructive.
post #21 of 27 Old 01-09-2014, 01:31 PM

I think I'll return the Onkyo and pay a bit more and getting the entry level Yamaha RX-V375 (only 5.1, but that's all I run). It has all the features I need. I can't live with the popping sound on the Onkyo, and I have now read way too many horror stories about the Onkyo HDMI boards failing prematurely. Thanks, SAIK for confirming the pop on the Onkyo and that it is absent on the Yamaha as well...hoping the lower model will be "popless"!
post #22 of 27 Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM

I think it is a good decision. Yamaha was flawless , after using yamaha I am not impressed with Onkyo .
post #23 of 27 Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracepreacher View Post

I think I'll return the Onkyo and pay a bit more and getting the entry level Yamaha RX-V375 (only 5.1, but that's all I run). It has all the features I need.

Hi Gracepreacher, another option is a Denon E300. If you have a Fry's store in your area the Denon E300 is on sale $220 (sale expires today).
post #24 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Gracepreacher, another option is a Denon E300. If you have a Fry's store in your area the Denon E300 is on sale $220 (sale expires today).

Thanks so much, but by the time I got this, I had the 375 back at home. It's working great, and I got it for 195...basically employee pricing, because of the trouble with the Onkyo. I have a newfound respect for Yamaha receivers after recently having trouble with a Pioneer, then an Onkyo. That WAS a good price on the E300 though!!!
post #25 of 27 Old 01-14-2014, 05:56 AM

I need advice!!!

I got in on the Best Buy deal for (I believe) $160 after taxes. I bought it to replace my old Yamaha RXV-663 receiver, but now I am torn...

The Yammy only has 2 HDMI inputs and does not have Bluetooth, and the Onkyo has 4 HDMI inputs, and does have Bluetooth. However, what does it have that this Onkyo HT-R2295 does not? Am I sacrificing anything here?

Both are 2-zone capable (I wish they had 3!), and both are capable of 7.1 surround sound (I only use 5 speakers and a sub). In my family room I have a 70" Sharp, older 60GB PS3 for bluray movies, HDMI cable box, and possibly a Wii or Xbox that I may connect to it. I don't really play games but like the option if I ever get interested in one.

I'm not very good with this stuff...Was thinking about eventually moving one of these receivers upstairs to my bonus room where I'll have a few game consoles, DVD player, and soundbar (may eventually upgrade to surround sound). Was the Onkyo a good enough deal to just keep? Or should I save the $150 and buy a much better receiver down the road. I probably don't use half the features these receivers offer...
post #26 of 27 Old 01-14-2014, 04:06 PM

Hi Paterus,

Onkyo has all the required fetures for a modern AV receiver. They are missing "Ethernet" which is more reliable than bluetooth.

My two cents:

Pros:

Sound quality is good at low and medium tones. Calibration works better than Yamaha. Price....you got it for 150USD.

Cons:

Has a popping sound whenever you turn off the receiver after watching a dolby content. (Personally I am ok with it).

Has reliability issues , especially few HDMI connectors stop working (from reviews , not my observation).

Since it costs only 150USD I am fine with reliabilty issues. Hopefully mine wont burn out.

If you use only 5.1 setup I would suggest checking out lower versions of Yamaha like Yamaha 375.

Thanks

paterus likes this.
post #27 of 27 Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 AM

For the price, I feel like I can't go wrong keeping it and using it for the time being. I feel like being able to use bluetooth to play music, and having 4 HDMI inputs compared to only 2 with the RXV663 is worth it alone...right?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page