Putting together a simple but wirelessly expandable 2.1 system. Advice needed. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There was a time when I very much enjoyed spending hours putting together new systems, wiring and rewiring the house, and programming universal remotes, however, a new house and 2 new kids has rendered those times impossible.

I have had a 70" Aquos on the wall for almost 2 years now using nothing but the TV's speakers and I am ready to get more from my viewing experience. I have looked around a bit but time and technology has seemed to pass me by in the last 7-8 years which was when I last put a system together. So, I was hoping you all could help point me in the right direction. Here are some of the highlights of what I am looking for:
[1] - 2.1 system with a sound bar and sub (the sound bar will go on the mantle below the TV so I definitely would prefer to go that route as opposed to book shelfs or other options)
[2] - Simplicity. Easy out of the box setup and operation is important to me, this factors into the universal remote as well.
[3] - Sound. I want it to sound good. I don't need my neighbors to hear it or my windows to shake, I just want decent room filling sound
[4] - Expandability. I would like to be able to add freestanding speakers in other rooms wirelessly. I have a pair of Polk Monitor series tower speakers that I like a lot that are in another room and it would be nice to be able to utilize them for music in the room they are in, wirelessly.
[5] - $1500-$2000 max budget.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Couple of questions as well:

[1] - When I think 'receiver' I think receiver/amp with the speakers AND components being connected to it. With the system I am looking for, all the speakers would be powered so is there a 'receiver' out there that would act simply as a switch allowing me to connect my other components to it but not actually providing any speaker connection/amplification?
[2] - Is the soundbar going to connect to a 'receiver' or the TV? Connecting it to the TV would be much simpler (and would also allow me to hear sound from SmartTV apps without runing a cable from the TV Audio out to the receiver) because in order to connect to the receiver I would need to fish that cable through the wall but if its connected to the TV and I want to listen to music would the TV need to be on in order for the sound to reach the soundbar? I am a little fuzzy on how that would work. My TV is a Sharp Aquos 70LE745U.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 2482
It sounds like you are looking for a Sonos system. Check my review of the PlayBar, see if that's along the lines of what you are thinking. The one issue of which component you connect to—TV or receiver—is a bit complex. If your TV will pass 5.1 audio then you are all set connecting to the TV, otherwise you are better off connecting to the AVR. With Sonos, music that is on a phone/tablet/computer does not need any sort of physical connection to play. http://www.avsforum.com/products/sonos-playbar-tv-soundbar-and-wireless-speaker-for-streaming-music/reviews/4581

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-06-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Great review! Thank you.

I do like the Sonos system and have looked at it quite extensively. I am concerned about the lack of DTS compatibility and the loss of sound quality if my TV doesn't output 5.1 via TosLink. What has kept me from serious putting Sonos at the top of the list is the receiver issue. I don't know what to buy for a receiver to handle my other components and that then adds another remote.

My concern with playing music over the Sonos system when the Playbar is connected to the TV was more along the lines of what if another person's phone or ipod comes into the mix via a dock, there would be no way to play music from their source correct?

I also considered the Bose Lifestyle 135 Series II because of the simplicity of setup, it comes with a receiver and universal remote, and is expandable via Soundtouch powered speakers but damn are both of these options expensive for what you get.

I guess I was curious if there was another, more cost effective, or at least 'better for the money' setup?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-07-2013, 03:17 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 2482
If you are not in a tremendous hurry, wait for CES, which is in one month. I'm betting there will be a number of announcements for new systems running on the WISA wireless audio standard.

Even though the system does not include a soundbar and is a bit expensive, you could also take a peek at bluesound.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-09-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mark. I think you are right. You would this some of the more mainstream brands would begin to offer wireless systems.

I took a look at the Bluesound system and I think the lack of a soundbar is probably a deal breaker for me. I appreciate the recommendation.

Are there people out there that have built their own wireless systems? I am assuming it can be done but is more labor intensive than what I am looking to do?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70ud1u 70 Inch Aquos 4k Ultra Hd 3d Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 70ud1u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page