Yamaha CX-A5000 vs Onkyo preamps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Anyone yet compare the new Yamaha unit to one of the recent Onkyo preamps?

I'd like to read some impressions.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump

post #3 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
With all the problems with Onkyo products at this time and recent past the gamble isn't worth it IMO. The Yamaha easily between these two.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I suggest that you look at the Marantz AV7701.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Anyone yet compare the new Yamaha unit to one of the recent Onkyo preamps?

I'd like to read some impressions.

biggrin.gif

Really? Didn't know you were in the market for a new AVR or pre/pro.

Tell me. What kind of features are you interested in? There are some splintering decisions to be made. Do you want/need Audyssey XT32 or DSX? Are you interested at all in Yamaha's CinemaDSP?

I know I am. smile.gif

Here's my situation. I currently own an Onkyo TXNR3007. It's very nice but it's lacking a few of the latest stuff like 3D and XT32. Now, I LOVE it but the hdmi section on it is going out and it's a few years old so I'm thinking of just getting something new. All my audio life I have wanted a flagship Yamaha. What ever the current generation, I want it. Lol. So I am looking at both the Yamaha A3030 and the A5000. I have also thought about a Denon. The one that supports 11.1 audio. smile.gif Just to change things up though I would get an Onkyo again. I really like my 3007.

Lol. Heheh.

Yeah. What kind of stuff are you interested in in a processor?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #6 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Rather than brand bashing I would be making my decision on a personal preference for Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. I had MultiEQ XT in my Integra DTC 9.8 and the improvement with my Onkyo TX-NR929 was audibly noticeable. Again this is personal but I would have a hard time going back to separates (I've had them since the seventies), but if I was I would be very curious about the delay from Onkyo/Integra with their high end components. I'm guessing they are waiting for implementation of HDMI 2.0.

As for dependability, I've had great luck with an Onkyo receiver and the 9.8. But Onkyo wasn't very forthcoming about their HDMI board problems nor have they talked much about an obvious fix. My 929 runs 30-35 degrees cooler than my 9.8 that doesn't have 9 amp channels. Also I have to say even though I thought the 9.8 had good ventilation, it actually didn't. It's definitely running cooler in it's new location. I don't know what model and when Onkyo made HDMI board changes but everything is cool now.

Bottom line, I'm glad I didn't switch but the ones being considered are all quality brands.

Patrick
post #7 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Scott,

I'm in a very similar position. I have the Onkyo TX-NR1007. It's been great. I have no problems with it and I hope I won't have any problems since I purchased new and have always had the AVR on top of my AV shelf with the top exposed to open air - thus no heat build up. I know that doesn't exempt me from potential issues but it should help! As to the HDMI problems you are worried about on yours, from what I've read Onkyo usually will give a 1 time out of warranty assistance from what I've read - have you contacted them to see if they would help you?

As to my next unit, I've been doing a bit of research and am primarily interested in another Onkyo, an Integra, a Denon, Marantz, or perhaps a Yamaha. I want to stay mainstream to avoid buggy botique brand issues. I would prefer XLR outputs, because I have a little tiny bit of hum from my AVR to Sherbourn 7-350 amp and Crown XLS-5000 amp that I can't seem to ditch and I'm hoping true XLR connections out would fix that. I use the Audyssey on my current 1007 only to setup distances and levels - then turn it off. I purchased a TX-NR818, but thought it was a bit of a downgrade from my TX-NR1007 in feature set, despite being XT32 and so sold it a couple weeks later.

Since I don't usually keep Audyssey on, then I'm not tied to Denon or Onkyo or Marantz or Integra. Another thing I've found very valuable is having independant subwoofer controls from the AVR. It wouldn't be a deal breaker to have a single sub out - but it's a big bonus to my interest level if it does. I use one of my sub outs for my buttkickers, and the other for my caps. I can adjust either level on the fly, and set unique distances. If I didn't have two sub outs I couldn't quickly adjust levels on one or the other without getting out of my theater seat and turning the gain dial on the amp. LAME. Three subwoofer outs would even be better - as the Yamaha has (I think). Then I could control the caps, my buttkickers, and the new sealed I'm putting together soon with the remote.

As another bonus I'd like to be able to control the unit through an android device, and our Onkyo TX-NRx007 units are one year before that worked mainstream.

The easier and cleaner the onscreen gui the better. It's also a must to be able to adjust subwoofer levels on the fly, cause I'm constantly tinkering with either my sub levels or the buttkicker levels song to song. The Onkyo 1007 does fine in this regard as I can get there in a few clicks and adjust subwoofer 1 and subwoofer 2 output without pausing or otherwise stopping my media.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Hey Scott,

I'm in a very similar position. I have the Onkyo TX-NR1007. It's been great. I have no problems with it and I hope I won't have any problems since I purchased new and have always had the AVR on top of my AV shelf with the top exposed to open air - thus no heat build up. I know that doesn't exempt me from potential issues but it should help! As to the HDMI problems you are worried about on yours, from what I've read Onkyo usually will give a 1 time out of warranty assistance from what I've read - have you contacted them to see if they would help you?

As to my next unit, I've been doing a bit of research and am primarily interested in another Onkyo, an Integra, a Denon, Marantz, or perhaps a Yamaha. I want to stay mainstream to avoid buggy botique brand issues. I would prefer XLR outputs, because I have a little tiny bit of hum from my AVR to Sherbourn 7-350 amp and Crown XLS-5000 amp that I can't seem to ditch and I'm hoping true XLR connections out would fix that. I use the Audyssey on my current 1007 only to setup distances and levels - then turn it off. I purchased a TX-NR818, but thought it was a bit of a downgrade from my TX-NR1007 in feature set, despite being XT32 and so sold it a couple weeks later.

Since I don't usually keep Audyssey on, then I'm not tied to Denon or Onkyo or Marantz or Integra. Another thing I've found very valuable is having independant subwoofer controls from the AVR. It wouldn't be a deal breaker to have a single sub out - but it's a big bonus to my interest level if it does. I use one of my sub outs for my buttkickers, and the other for my caps. I can adjust either level on the fly, and set unique distances. If I didn't have two sub outs I couldn't quickly adjust levels on one or the other without getting out of my theater seat and turning the gain dial on the amp. LAME. Three subwoofer outs would even be better - as the Yamaha has (I think). Then I could control the caps, my buttkickers, and the new sealed I'm putting together soon with the remote.

As another bonus I'd like to be able to control the unit through an android device, and our Onkyo TX-NRx007 units are one year before that worked mainstream.

The easier and cleaner the onscreen gui the better. It's also a must to be able to adjust subwoofer levels on the fly, cause I'm constantly tinkering with either my sub levels or the buttkicker levels song to song. The Onkyo 1007 does fine in this regard as I can get there in a few clicks and adjust subwoofer 1 and subwoofer 2 output without pausing or otherwise stopping my media.

PM'd.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Cx A5000bl Aventage 11 2 Channel Av Pre Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page