No sound thru receiver for HBO go - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all I have a samsung f8500 and denon 2112 receiver. All my hdmi cables run to my receiver and one hdmi to my display, while watching HBO go I don't get any sound from my receiver, I have to enable the tv speakers and listen thru them. Am I doing something wrong? I would love to hear it thru my surround. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
What device is acquiring HBOGO? If it's the TV, are you using ARC to feed audio from the TV to the receiver? Does ARC work for other Smart TV sources?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

What device is acquiring HBOGO? If it's the TV, are you using ARC to feed audio from the TV to the receiver? Does ARC work for other Smart TV sources?
hi, I am watching it thru the HBO go app on my tv, the only cable I have running from my tv is one hdmi cable, it goes from hdmi 1 IN, to my receiver, do I need to add another cable? Thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclecky View Post

Quote:

hi, I am watching it thru the HBO go app on my tv, the only cable I have running from my tv is one hdmi cable, it goes from hdmi 1 IN, to my receiver, do I need to add another cable? Thanks
It depends on your equipment. If the TV and receiver both support the Audio Return Channel (ARC), then you can feed sound from the TV to the AVR over the same HDMI cable used to feed material from the AVR to the TV. ARC can be a bit flaky and may not be easy to configure. Running a separate optical (or coax, depending on your TV) may be easier to set up and operate. The TV and receiver manuals will explain what you need to do. At any rate, you have to feed audio from the TV to the AVR one way or another.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

On my TV hdmi in3 says AVR should I run another cable from there to my receiver, so then I would have one hdmi from in1 and another hdmi from in3. Thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

No. Presumably you mean it says ARC, not AVR. TVs do not have HDMI outputs, just inputs. Newer models with HDMI 1.4 that support ARC use the same cable that feeds video to the TV to send audio back to the AVR. You must use the TV input labeled ARC to take advantage of that feature.

But, there's more to it than that. You really need to read the manuals. And, in the end, a separate optical cable for audio may be an easier way to go.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No. Presumably you mean it says ARC, not AVR. TVs do not have HDMI outputs, just inputs. Newer models with HDMI 1.4 that support ARC use the same cable that feeds video to the TV to send audio back to the AVR. You must use the TV input labeled ARC to take advantage of that feature.

But, there's more to it than that. You really need to read the manuals. And, in the end, a separate optical cable for audio may be an easier way to go.
thank you for your help. Enjoy the holidays.

Tags
Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver