Marantz SR7002 lacks hdmi passthrough & ARC support -- help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roger877's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago metro (burbs)
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just ordered a new LCD/LED TV (Sony KDL-55W900A) that that's 3D enabled as well as providing online content (Netflix, etc). I can't afford to spring for a new receiver that has passthrough and ARC with comparable performance to my Marantz SR 7002. So looking for the best solution to my dilemma.

My solution for DVD, as of now, is to connect my Oppo BDP-105 via HDMI 1 to the receiver for multi-channel HD audio and to the TV with Oppo's HDMI 2 output for video. That should take care of that aspect. But for viewing and listening to the TV's own built-in streaming content, I don't think it would work to also hook up dual HDMI cables (for audio & video) because I would have to select one or the other on the Marantz -- right? And then there's my set-top HD cable box....groan.

So I'm thinking of using digital coax for the TV's audio output and HDMI to the Marantz for the video. And maybe the same for my cable box. I know it won't provide 3D content via cable (not really into that, anyway) and Netflix, Amazon and Hulu Plus don't do 3D either.

I've googled this thing to death, and am getting more baffled as to what the best logistic solutions would be to get the optimal audio and video with this TV. Can anyone who has a 7002/8002 provide some advice?

Thanks!
roger877 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roger877's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago metro (burbs)
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone?
roger877 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,455
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
Using HDMI (video) to the TV and optical (audio) from the set top box to the AVR and optical from the TV to the AVR are your best options.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roger877's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago metro (burbs)
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Using HDMI (video) to the TV and optical (audio) from the set top box to the AVR and optical from the TV to the AVR are your best options.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of doing with my Oppo 105 all along -- the set top box can come later. I thought someone here might have more insightful comments. Guess not...rolleyes.gif
roger877 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,455
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
What additional insight? confused.gif You asked about how to connect devices and about a work around for ARC. I responded to both.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 12-08-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger877 View Post

Yes, that's what I was thinking of doing with my Oppo 105 all along -- the set top box can come later. I thought someone here might have more insightful comments. Guess not...rolleyes.gif

You don't need anything more insightful. JD is right. Connect optical cable from TV to Marantz 7002 to send audio to receiver for TV apps.

That's all there is to it.

You don't need anything special for the set top HD box. Just connect it via HDMI to the receiver and it'll send audio and video there.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #7 of 14 Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roger877's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago metro (burbs)
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You don't need anything more insightful. JD is right. Connect optical cable from TV to Marantz 7002 to send audio to receiver for TV apps.

That's all there is to it.

You don't need anything special for the set top HD box. Just connect it via HDMI to the receiver and it'll send audio and video there.

Thanks for all your replies...I didn't mean to sound ungrateful or snippy...just a bit apprehensive whenever I make a major new change to my system.

The optical cable from TV to 7002 worked just fine -- I had a bit of trouble finding the correct input mode on the remote, but all is well. The Oppo 105 connected via two HDMI's in split AV mode works just fine, especially with 3D BDs. Funny thing though: I was watching 3D content from Comcast's On Demand 3D selection, and despite my cable box HDMI going solely through the Marantz, I got full Dolby, etc. audio as well as wonderful 3D effects. Wondering if, contrary to what Marantz tech support said about the 7200 not supporting passthrough, it indeed does. Go figure...rolleyes.gif
roger877 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 12-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Socketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
AHH you meant 3d passthrough.
Socketman is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 12-15-2013, 11:02 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,455
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger877 View Post

Thanks for all your replies...I didn't mean to sound ungrateful or snippy...just a bit apprehensive whenever I make a major new change to my system.

The optical cable from TV to 7002 worked just fine -- I had a bit of trouble finding the correct input mode on the remote, but all is well. The Oppo 105 connected via two HDMI's in split AV mode works just fine, especially with 3D BDs. Funny thing though: I was watching 3D content from Comcast's On Demand 3D selection, and despite my cable box HDMI going solely through the Marantz, I got full Dolby, etc. audio as well as wonderful 3D effects. Wondering if, contrary to what Marantz tech support said about the 7200 not supporting passthrough, it indeed does. Go figure...rolleyes.gif

An HDMI 1.3 AVR will generally pass 720p 3D video (eg. PS3 games and cable/sat box 3D channels); however, will not pass full 1080p 3D video (Blu Ray) which requires an HDMI 1.4 device.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 12-15-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roger877's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago metro (burbs)
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

AHH you meant 3d passthrough.

Yes, I guess so. I'm not edjumicated enough to distinguish between 3D passthrough and 'general' passthrough, if there is a distinction.

So am I to assume that the 7200 can pass through audio in 3D content with a single hdmi? It seems to work with my Comcast cable, but haven't tried it using a single output from my Oppo. I would seem that a dual a/v connection to the Sony TV & receiver also benefits from the Oppo's excellent rendering, etc. Also, I wonder if the Cable box>Marantz>Sony works in 3D for reasons not clear to me...while a bd player>Marantz>Sony TV needs a more sophisticated passthrough connection offered on the newest receivers?
roger877 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 12-15-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roger877's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago metro (burbs)
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

An HDMI 1.3 AVR will generally pass 720p 3D video (eg. PS3 games and cable/sat box 3D channels); however, will not pass full 1080p 3D video (Blu Ray) which requires an HDMI 1.4 device.

Thanks much for your explanation, that makes perfect sense. I was posting my previous response concurrent with yours. Speaking of HDMI 1.4 devices, I've read a number of pretty authoritative sounding articles online that suggest there is on HDMI 1.4 cable, per se. They say any fast 1.3+ HDMI will work for 3D, as long as it conforms to HDMI standards. Sounds like more a semantic issue.
roger877 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Socketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The spec you should be concerned with is hdmi 1.3a vs 1.4a .... the audio is not the issue its the ability of the hdmi to carry the high bandwidth required for 3d video vs 2d. Cable based 3d bandwidth may be low enough to be carried by the 1.3 spec. Your receiver is rated at 1.3a so in reality it is not 3d capable when played from a bluray player such as your oppo. Hope this make sense .

PS sorry JD didn't see your post.
Socketman is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 45,455
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger877 View Post

Thanks much for your explanation, that makes perfect sense. I was posting my previous response concurrent with yours. Speaking of HDMI 1.4 devices, I've read a number of pretty authoritative sounding articles online that suggest there is on HDMI 1.4 cable, per se. They say any fast 1.3+ HDMI will work for 3D, as long as it conforms to HDMI standards. Sounds like more a semantic issue.

A cable is a cable (aside from Standard and High Speed) and can no longer be produced with an HDMI number on it. It's the device that must be HDMI 1.4.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 12-15-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
roger877's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago metro (burbs)
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ah....*light bulb goes off* -- I intuited as much, but you guys confirmed it. 1.3a/1.4 refer to the device, not the cable.

Thanks to Socketman & jdsmotthie for clarifying. One of these days when I've recovered from my recent Oppo 105 & Sony kdl900 purchases, I'll look into a capably equipped receiver that sounds as good as the 7200,
roger877 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off