Power for Thiel C.5's - Pioneer SC-63 or Emotiva UMC1 + UPA500 for Stereo & Surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a relative newcomer to high(er) end equipment. I'm getting a used set of Thiel C.5 (That's C-dot-5) and want to make sure I can drive them comfortably. I primarily listen from low to moderate levels for audio (smooth jazz, some light rock), but also want to have A/V capability for surround sound on occasion. I'm currently using an Haman Kardon 2600 receiver rated at 65w/ch @ 8 ohms. I'm a bit concerned about using this amp to drive the 4 ohm Thiels so I'm considering a Pioneer Elite SC-63 or Emotiva UMC1 + UPA500, both of which are 80 w/ch. I like that the Pioneer is class D which they say runs cooler than A/B's as the amp will be in a closed entertainment cabinet (glass front doors) with some holes for circulation in the rear. Also, the Emotiva combo is at the top end of my budget, another reason to consider the Pioneer. That said, I'm also a bit concerned that 80 w/ch. may be a bit lean. Any comments/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 63 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver , Emotiva Upa 500 Five Channel Power Amplifier , Harman Kardon Avr 2600 65w 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black