AVR-991 with 7.2 Plus Multi-Zone - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in the main receivers thread, but didn't seem to get any attention yet, so I figured I would try here as well.

I will finally get to use my AVR-991 I purchased two years ago with my basement remodel that just started. The framing is going to be this week, so I want to get a better picture of where I want to place the speakers. In my perfect world, this receiver would allow me to have a 7.2 setup AND a pair of speakers in a separate "zone" to help fill the rest of my basement with quality audio for music, or a football game, etc... My question is - is this even possible with the 991? It sounds like it is, but the manual was a bit sketchy and IMHO a bit incomplete with the potential speaker setups and multi-zone setup potential.

Any help would be appreciated - I am going for a LCR, pair of mids, pair of rears and 2 subs, then *hopefully* a pair of speakers wired to the other portion of my basement as well. Can someone help me out? I used to be more "into" home theater stuff, then life happens - wife, kids, job. I have all my wiring, posts, plugs, etc arriving by Thursday and need to get this stuff in the walls by the weekend so the rest of the basement project can continue...

Side question - I had a (small) budget in mind and didn't want to shake my house off its supports, so I went with a relatively inexpensive (i.e. cheap) speaker setup of Polk Audio Monitor 40's for fronts, 30's for mids and rear, CS2's and a pair of PSW10's. Anyone else use the "budget" Polk speaker setups? I figure if I ever wanted (or was allowed) to upgrade the speakers in the future, it wasn't a horrible setup for the $600 or so I paid for it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
You actually have both of your posts in the same Receivers, Amps, and Processors forum rather than in the dedicated 3311CI/991 Owner's thread linked below ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1257209/the-official-denon-3311ci-991-owners-thread-no-price-talk/0_100

The 991 is a 7CH AVR so it depends on your desired configuration as to whether you will need an external amp or not.

(1) 5.1 + Surr Back speakers - this will require connecting an external 2CH amp to the Zone 2 pre-outs and would be restricted to non HDMI sources but could play either the same or independent audio from what is playing in the main zone

(2) 5.1 + Front Height or Front Wide - connect the stereo speakers to the Surr Back speaker posts and setup as Front B speakers able to play the same source as selected in the main zone although you would lose the Front Height/Front Wide audio when the Front B speakers are selected.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 12-13-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the reply, but I still do not understand...

When I purchased it, I assumed 7.2 meant I would have 1 center, 2 front, 2 mids and 2 rears. I was not planning on a second zone. Perhaps I do not understand what 7 channel really means (entirely possible I made an assumption). I need to complete my speaker wiring this weekend before drywall goes up over the studs...

It sounds as if I cannot have a second zone if I already use 7 channels for the main speakers, which is fine. Or, I can do a traditional 5.1 and a second zone of a pair of speakers?

I should have done more research before it got too close to the framing, but I figured it would be easy, and I was apparently wrong...

So, I can have: (with 2 subs)

FL C FR

ML MR

RL RR

-- OR --

FL C FR

RL RR

-PLUS-

Zone 2 of front right and front left

Did I get this right???
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 991 , Polk Audio Psw10 10 Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Polk Audio Monitor 40 Am4025 A 2 Way Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page