How important is an HDMI compatible receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm finally upgrading my nearly 12 year old 36" tube TV. I have a 9 year old Yamaha 5.1 system that still sounds great, but I'm relatively certain that it is not HDMI compatible. Am I likely to be able to run HDMI from my cable box to the TV with a separate audio signal going to the receiver? If so, what are the odds of an audio/video sync issue? The TV is a Panasonic ST60, still in transit and I'm not sure if it will have audio out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm about 90% sure the ST60 has audio out but I have no hands on experience with them, so I'm just going off the internet here.
(anyone feel free to correct me)
I was kind of suprised that my Samsung Plasma didn't have analog audio out (not even a headphone jack) but I wouldn't be using them anyways.

As for HDMI and receivers, if you don't feel like you must have things like bitsreaming HD audio etc then it's up to you to make the switch or not, the greatest convenience in my mind is just that, convenience it makes everything that much easier to setup and use when I can hook everything up through my AVR rather than having to change channels on both units I just do that on the AVR itself, and my signals have to go through the cable box anyways..

As for audio desynch, that's really not something I can really comment, again it probably shouldn't be an issue but it can be, I would personally just wait for the tv to arrive and see if you can hook it up as you want, it should work without issue, it does here, but then again I'm on the other side of the planet.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
You should have optical or RCA type digital out from your cable box to the receiver and HDMI out that can go direct to the new TV. Presumably, your receiver has digital inputs, but probably not HDMI switching.

Sometimes there can be sync issues but your receiver "may" have adjustment options for that. As TorTorden said, wait for the TV and try the hookups. If you have problems (probably won't), you might have to consider upgrading the receiver, there are some relatively inexpensive options for that.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a 20 year old (close to 20, not positive exactly) Yamaha RXV 2090 in my garage. This was my first real receiver. It obviously has no HDMI connectivity. It does have 5.1 discrete ins. I could use this thing in a room and it would sound very good. I could grab a Blu Ray player that had 5.1 analog outs and plug it into this thing and be good to go. If you are on a tight budget, hdmi is not a big deal to you.

If you want the latest greatest codecs, the analog inputs will not work for you. Honestly, you could spend 300 bucks and get a pretty good updates receiver in today's world.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 11:41 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Since HDMI is the current standard for home theater connectivity, it is a good idea to have it. You can buy an entry level receiver for less than $200. It is a steal.
hoopsrgreat likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Which 5.1 system is worth buying and available under $200?
post #7 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
He said "receiver" and you said "5.1 system". those are not the same thing. 5.1 system implies speakers and subwoofer too.

Afro GT
post #8 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Ok... what 5.1 receiver?
post #9 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
While HDMI is handy, especially given that more and more devices only have HDMI outputs, it's hardly necessary for a cable set top box. As long as your receiver has an optical or coax input, you'll get DD 5.1 from the cable box. Why not wait and see whether you have sync issues?
post #10 of 10 Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Just like to be prepared. I upgraded the head unit in my car earlier this year and it resulted in a bit of a domino effect on things I needed.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page