Best receivers for streaming MP3s? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

This is probably a sacrilegious confession among audiophiles, but unless it is one of my few 5.1 dvd audio remasters I do all my music listening by streaming from my cloud through Apple TV.  Currently, I run a Sony STR-DG810 but will probably be looking to replace it soon for a number of reasons and would want a receiver that is known for enhancing the mp3 listening experience.  Any suggestions in the $500 and under range?

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 65" Plasma

Pioneer SC-1223K

Klipsch RF-82ii Front

Klipsch RC-52ii Center

SVS PB12 NSD

KLH rear surrounds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked: 3995
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfgenesis View Post

This is probably a sacrilegious confession among audiophiles, but unless it is one of my few 5.1 dvd audio remasters I do all my music listening by streaming from my cloud through Apple TV.  Currently, I run a Sony STR-DG810 but will probably be looking to replace it soon for a number of reasons and would want a receiver that is known for enhancing the mp3 listening experience.  Any suggestions in the $500 and under range?

At that price point I'm partial to Sony's STR-DN1040. I think modern MP3s sound great, I own over 400 albums bought through iTunes. For just a few, i bought a CD because I love the album so much—but I'd be a liar if I said I thought thought those CDs really sound a lot better. Modern MP3s don't need enhancement, they just need a good stereo system.

Mark Henninger
Old 12-10-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

I will check that one out.  I agree that most newer mp3s sound pretty good. However I have seen two or three receiver technologies that advertise improving the compression in mp3 and it would be good to know if that is just marketing BS or not.

Pioneer SC-1223K

Klipsch RF-82ii Front

Klipsch RC-52ii Center

SVS PB12 NSD

KLH rear surrounds

Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
About 95% of my music listening is to mp3s, and i listen to about 2-5 hours of music a day. My Yamaha rx-a2020 sounds great to me when playing mp3s. I believe all the Aventage line avrs have the some music enhancer. You might be able to find the rx-a720 in that price range.

TV: Panasonic 60GT50/ Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2020/ Bluray: PS3 Slim/ Fronts: Focal Chorus 726V/ Center: Focal Chorus cc700V
Surrounds: Focal Chorus 705V
Subs: (4) sealed SI HT 18" powered by Inuke NU6000dsp
Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
All of my music listening is MP3. I have ripped all of my CD's to MP3 and they sound exactly like the original CD's. I stream a bit from MOG which provides 320KBPS MP3 which are indistinguishable from CD's. My bias controlled listening test showed that 256kbps and higher MP3's are indistinguishable from CD's. At 128kbps there is some sonic difference and at 64kbps it sounds bad to my ears. Even the 128K internet radio stations produce pretty decent sound.
imagic likes this.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Agree with FMW, 320kps mp3 files and flac files or cd's are audibly indishtinguable. The lower bit rate mp3's can contain recognizable audible artifacts. Any player that can play high bit rate mp3's should be able to do so without adding or subtracting anything from the source. There is no magic avr that will make high bit rate mp3 files sound any better or different. If your library consists of low bit rate mp3 files then no avr will magically improve the sound quality either.
imagic likes this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I love iTunes Match service for this reason - no matter the low quality of your original mp3 files, you get access to iTunes 256kps quality streaming of the same songs.

Pioneer SC-1223K

Klipsch RF-82ii Front

Klipsch RC-52ii Center

SVS PB12 NSD

KLH rear surrounds

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver