Need help to choose a good power amplifier for my big CLS-215 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I have no experience with poweramplifier and I just need some advice to do the right choice. I actually run my speakers with a stereo receiver (Yamaha RX-797) of 100wpc with some klipsh RF-82 and a BIC Accoustech PL-200 sub and I will use the pre out for the cerwin Vegas. They are rated peak at 500w.

So I know I need a poweramplifier that will give me something like 250-300wpc at 8 ohms but I'm simply lost with all the brands... I dont need a lightweight version, I just want to let them sound very loud and boost their 15's bass more smile.gif and keep the sound clear like it is now.

Witch way to go? QSC GX3, Behringer EP2000, Crown XLS1500 or the Emotiva XPA-2 seem to be an advised choice but does it really worth the price? Or something else?

I saw this site and their price seem very good, http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/live-sound/power-amplifiers/

thank for your interest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecMagnac View Post

Hi guys,

So I know I need a poweramplifier that will give me something like 250-300wpc at 8 ohms but I'm simply lost with all the brands...

I can't imagine where you got that concept. Speaker power ratings are maximum ratings, they are ratings above which you can damage the speaker. They say nothing at all about how much power the speaker will dissipate in use. That depends on a lot of factors, none of which are the speaker power rating. It is actually fairly rare to find a two channel system with a subwoofer than ever dissipates more than about 20 watts per channel. 100 watts is way more then enough.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 501

I'm confused, are you getting rid of the Klipsch or are you running them with the Cerwin Vegas?

If you plan on running the Klipsch and the Cerwin Vegas together with the same AVR I'm not sure your plan will work. It has always been my understanding that once you plug into the pre-outs it tells the AVR that power no longer needs to be sent to the speaker terminals. But I may be wrong about that.

Finally, if you are replacing the Klipsch, why do you feel you need more power? Unless you play your music very very loud the 100 wpc will be fine for your speakers even large ones.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

I'm confused, are you getting rid of the Klipsch or are you running them with the Cerwin Vegas?

If you plan on running the Klipsch and the Cerwin Vegas together with the same AVR I'm not sure your plan will work. It has always been my understanding that once you plug into the pre-outs it tells the AVR that power no longer needs to be sent to the speaker terminals. But I may be wrong about that.

Finally, if you are replacing the Klipsch, why do you feel you need more power? Unless you play your music very very loud the 100 wpc will be fine for your speakers even large ones.

I want to keep the klipsh and the cerwin, like now. The klipsch don't need more extra power they are nice like that, but the CLS 215 need a power amp to make them come alive. It's clear my amp cut out when too much bass is demanded, all the owner of those cerwin post that it's a crime to don't use them in a power amplifier. And yes I want to run them with the avr, so the avr will amplifie the Klipsh but with the pre-out connected to the power amplifier to the cerwin all can work. But I just need some advice for the good poweramplifier for me....
post #5 of 5 Old 12-11-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 501

If I were in your shoes I would go with the Emotiva XPA-2 if looks are important and you want a HT amp but you want to keep the price lower.

If looks aren't as important, I have heard that the Crowns are good amps but people don't think they look so hot.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page