Denon X4000 Problems. Receiver keeps shutting off and red light is blinking. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've only had this receiver a few months. Bought it brand new from Best Buy. It has worked for for a few months but in the last few days it has been shutting off by itself and the red light on the front panel is flashing. I can reset power from the remote and it will come back on but after a while it just shuts off again. Very frustrating as I had everyone over for the games last Sunday and we ended up having to go somewhere else. Is this what I can expect from my first Denon product?
Has anyone else had this problem? Help please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-13-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
It could very well be one of your speaker connections. Are you using bare wire or banana plugs?

Afro GT
post #3 of 26 Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

I'm using banana plugs at the receiver and bare wire at the speakers. I haven't moved anything since I first hooked it up so I don't know why there would be a problem with a speaker connection. Also, I would expect that if there was a problem with the speaker connection that the problem would show up more consistently. Last night it happened 3 times within 10 minutes but after cycling power it was fine for the rest of the night.
post #4 of 26 Old 12-14-2013, 02:08 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
Visually check all of your speaker connections again, both at the back of the AVR and at each speaker. If no loose strands observed, then try resetting the microprocessor.

Note also the dedicated thread for Denon AVR E/X Owner's along with posts #3-6 in that thread ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134210

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 AM

I'm having the same issue. I'll follow the steps your recommended. I know there's no nails through the wire and i've check each speaker connection and am 99% sure there's no loose wires touching. Even removed the wall plates and added banana plugs in the boxes to make sure.

Hopefully hopefully running through the steps you listed will resolve the problem. If not, I'll call Denon.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Disconnect all but the two front speakers from the unit. Then play it at the levels that you were during the "issue". Does it still shut down? IF not, add speakers, a pair at a time otherwise and see how it response. This might help with isolating a problem wire or speaker.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 AM

it's seemingly very random and not connected to volume. it happens when i'm playing late at night at fairly low levels and when my kids are playing it loudly during the day...and anytime in between.

my first step will be to see if the blinking red light is fast or slow.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie View Post

I'm having the same issue. I'll follow the steps your recommended. I know there's no nails through the wire and i've check each speaker connection and am 99% sure there's no loose wires touching. Even removed the wall plates and added banana plugs in the boxes to make sure.

Hopefully hopefully running through the steps you listed will resolve the problem. If not, I'll call Denon.

How long have you owned the unit and how long after purchase did this start occurring?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #9 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 02:21 PM

I just got it. It's a refurbished unit and it first happened within a day of starting to use it.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 02:44 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Exchange it.

post #11 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapie View Post

it's seemingly very random and not connected to volume. it happens when i'm playing late at night at fairly low levels and when my kids are playing it loudly during the day...and anytime in between.

my first step will be to see if the blinking red light is fast or slow.

Your first step should be to eliminate the wiring and speakers from the potential problem list. Eliminate all speakers and wires from the system at the AVR except for the main R & L speakers. If teh problem remains, work on the R & L speakers / wires.

How many of your speaker circuits have wiring in wall, and how many speaker circuits are exposed and not in wall?

I had a similar problem one time. One external speaker wire (not in wall) was "pinched" just enough to cause an overload but it was not a direct short "like a nail" in the wiring. Stuff happens.

Did your old AVR work properly?

After you eliminate all of your speakers and wiring, if the problem remains you should return that so called "refurbished" unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

Disconnect all but the two front speakers from the unit. Then play it at the levels that you were during the "issue". Does it still shut down? IF not, add speakers, a pair at a time otherwise and see how it response. This might help with isolating a problem wire or speaker.
post #12 of 26 Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM

Almost all of the wiring is in the wall using using the correct type of wiring. I ran the wires myself after all the drywall was up so no chance of a stray screw running through the wire.

I had an HK 630 before this and never had an issue...but it may not have been as sensitize. I'll turn it in tonight and see if I can get it to work.

Would a crappy tv somehow cause this to happen? I have a Samsung Plasma that's starting to hum badly. Would some sort of signal be transmitted back down he HDMI cable?

I'll also make sure the Denon is plugged into the wall rathr than the power strip.

One more thing, I will try removing speaker sets to eliminate them from the equation but since it only happens once every couple of hours, I'll try other things first.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-19-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Well if your previous AVR did not have this problem, then I suspect that your wiring and speakers are fine. I would just disconnect and run the front stereo pair for a while, and if it fails I would just returninstall the old AVR and return the new AVR.

It could easily be the new "refurbished" receiver. "Refurbished" means the original owner had a problem with the unit and returned it. The only "refurbishment" that was done was to plug in the unit and let it run for a while.

I never buy so called "refurbished" items because there is a good chance the original problem was never observed nor repaired. The amount of money you save buying a refurb is just not worth it.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Well if your previous AVR did not have this problem, then I suspect that your wiring and speakers are fine. I would just disconnect and run the front stereo pair for a while, and if it fails I would just returninstall the old AVR and return the new AVR.

It could easily be the new "refurbished" receiver. "Refurbished" means the original owner had a problem with the unit and returned it. The only "refurbishment" that was done was to plug in the unit and let it run for a while.

I never buy so called "refurbished" items because there is a good chance the original problem was never observed nor repaired. The amount of money you save buying a refurb is just not worth it.

I agree the problem is the AVR was likely never properly repaired. Send it back.

I agree that refurbs are risky and probably not worth buying unless the savings are substantial. I bought a refurb 4311 for around $1,000 when new ones were going for $1,600+. Fortunately I have no issues with it. To me, saving $600 was worth the risk.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-19-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 383
With a refurb if bought authorized you get the same one year warranty from Denon, Onkyo or whoever made it (usually, Pioneer is only 90 days on Elite). I have bought two refurbs from A4L and they are both going strong 5 years and 2 years later. I like KidHorn bought a refurb 4311 over 2 years ago because of the savings, great receiver at an even better price. There is no evidence to support your conspiracy theory that they never got repaired. If that was the case companies like the one above still wouldn't be in business years later.
post #16 of 26 Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the assurance. The refurb'ed Denon actually only has a 1 year warranty. I did buy an extended warranty which covers an extra year for about $40.
post #17 of 26 Old 02-22-2014, 05:01 AM
585-645-1006

Check with your credit card issuer as it's possible they will add an extra year for FREE which would save you on future purchases.

post #18 of 26 Old 02-22-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
As I posted previously..rolleyes.gif
Refurbs are not always the best buy..
Customer and store returns are often for a technical problem, unfortunately when the AVRs are at the refurb line they are powered ON only for a few minutes but not run for any extended time..
If they power up and pass a simple function test into the box they go..
So these intermittent problems are not caught..
A good test would be to put the AVR on a burn-in rack for a couple of hours then run the function test...
But the refurb techs are paid on "How many AVRs go through the line in an hour..."
Thats the risk of buyng a refurb..
Everyone like the $ savings but once they get into a return hassle for a refurb for freight and exchange, the next time they buy new in the box..
Just playing the odds, just like Vegas, some win and some lose..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #19 of 26 Old 02-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Check with your credit card issuer as it's possible they will add an extra year for FREE which would save you on future purchases.

well...i used amazon gift cards for most of the purchase and my credit card will only give an extra year if you pay for the entire purchase with the CC.
post #20 of 26 Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 AM
585-645-1006

Sure. I was referring to future credit card purchases as you already have the extended warranty you bought that you can use on this purchase. smile.gif
cheapie likes this.

post #21 of 26 Old 02-24-2014, 05:17 AM

I haven't had a single problem since I posted the issue here...I wonder if the recent update fixed it. Fingers crossed!
post #22 of 26 Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 PM

Liked: 11
I purchased a Denon AVR-X4000, through JD at AVS just over a month ago for a great price (don't send an email... make the call). Due to a death in the family the day after it showed up I couldn't hook it up until the about 14 days after I received it. Low a behold there was an issue. It started powering down on it's own after it warmed up, and the red LED would blink fast. Not always... just when it felt like it. I called JD and told him about the problem, and the fact that I already had it so long. JD was very supportive and told me not to worry about the time that had elapsed since I had it. He asked me some questions about how I had it set up and I let him know that the last thing I wanted to do was send it back. I tried everything to figure out what was wrong. I disconnected it from everything and even tried different power circuits in the house, but in the end it would still power down on it's own when it felt like it. This process took over a week, because I would try something different and think that it was OK... then a day later it would just shut down, so I would try something else. I actually got it to run for 24 hours once without powering down. When I finally decided that I had enough JD said he would take care of it. Within a day I received notice that a replacement was on the way and was given a tracking number. Just box up the old one when it comes and drop it off at UPS. It didn't cost me a thing except my time. My new unit seems to be working perfectly. My hats off to JD and AVS. This is probably the best service I have ever had. This is not the first time that I had a problem resolved by AVS in such a swift manner. I am a very happy camper.
cheapie likes this.
post #23 of 26 Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been having issues with my X4000 after some time of issue free operation. For me the issues started after upgrading the firmware to the new transparent UI firmware. Audio channel detection seems to have gotten flacky where you hear relays clicking as it tries to make up its mind what format the audio is in. Audio starts cutting out until its gone altogether after a while.
The second issue is the blinking red light. I think it does this when it gets hot, however it has also been triggered on zone 3 which I run to an Emotiva amp so the load on the Denon is minimal.

Maybe I should check into going back to the old firmware, assuming thats possible.
post #24 of 26 Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 AM

I bought mine in jan 2014 started having problems in march. I was listening to an sacd in 2 channel mode when my right speaker lost volume. switched left speaker to right output still same problem. when I turned volume down and back up it was all right for a little bit then it did it again. was listening to tv in low volume around -24 when it went into protection fault. called denon and they said take it to authorized dealer. this is copied from receipt:

"History show DC issue-unit did not shut down for tech *[HOWEVER]- audio sounded extreamly "bassy" readjusted all speaker levels +0 and turned off dynamic EQ in setup- these settings could have caused unit to go into protect at high vol level or if there is a problem with one or more of the speakers attached to this unit- shorted or blown- repaired ground wire- 1 IC 931 regulator my have been damaged."

now I used auddessy for setup and when I checked my settings that I had written down my subs levels where -8.5 & -9.0 so if I am not mistaken the tech acutually turned them up by setting to 0. well I got it back and will be hooking up to test, mean while my onkyo 806 that was hooked before and during the denon repair had no problems. also tested speaker wire and ohms of all speakers, all tested the same no shorts.
post #25 of 26 Old 04-19-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My X4000 has been sounding very digital as of late, with a harshness on the upper treble end regardless od audyssey settings. I have especially noticed this on higher volumes. This did not occur with my previous Integra DTR-80.2. This happens on both internal and external source material. Also when ramping up volume, I here digital stepping on the volume control. I have everything going preamp out to an emotive xpa-5 running Maggie MMG's.
post #26 of 26 Old 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
It could very well be one of your speaker connections. Are you using bare wire or banana plugs?
Definitely invest in banana plugs to avoid any chances of stray wire strands engaging the system protection circuitry. Also check your manual speaker settings from the menu and make sure speakers sizes match your settings to reduce the load on the amp. If RECIEVER gets to hot it will shut off to protect itself from damage indicated by the slow flashing red power indicator. Make sure RECIEVER ventilation is not obstructed, recommend not stacking any components on top the unit unless you are using a component cooler which is similar to a laptop cooling pad. I have on as a buffer between my RECIEVER and DVR and have had no further incidents with the unit shutting off, unit keeps cool as a fridge. These component coolers are cheep and can be found on Amazon or Ebay and are a great insurance against unit failure.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List