Overwhelmed with AVR options please help!!! Marantz, Yami, Onkyo #@!$!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-15-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Just like many of us thought I was done with having to research & purchase an avr after getting my Onkyo 706 from acc4less...

You know the drill, 3 years later hdmi board decide to go...

So everyone is questioning durability / reliability of Onkyo products for good reason.

Really having a hard time pulling the trigger on something, want great performance & ease of use!

Im running HSU bookshelfs with an Outlaw 12 sub.

Thought I had it figured-out as heard great things about the Yamaha a720 so i went to my local best buy magnolia store & demo'd lots of options!

From what I heard made the choices harder as dont think its an accurate way to test between avr's.

Seemed like the Yami need lots of power to get it to the same volume as the Marantz 5008 which really stood out to my ears, the Pioneer Elite even sounded bla in comparison.

I dont even like the look of the Marantz 5008 but considering it due to what I heard but questioning ease of use in comparison to the other brands?

Please help with some insight!

onkyo 626, Marantz 5008, Yamaha a720 or others?

Looking at the dedicated pages & pages of drama i mean posts on the marantz makes me wonder what I may be getting myself into in comparison to just 5 pages on the Onkyo626....

Thank You guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The problem is that it has become virtually impossible to build a receiver and sell it for under $500 that can adequatey drive 5 decent speakers (NONE of which are REALLY 8 ohms anymore).

They are all cheaping out with Class D amplifiers and inadequate power supplies, and they all sound like crap, especially when pushed hard at higher volumes.

Sure, there are lots of AVRs for under $500, but they are almost all pathetic performers with serious limitations. They also give power ratings that are a bad joke and totally deceptive, which should be totally ignored. Even the more expensive ones from OnkYamaPion are mostly junk IMO.

If all one has is $300, they are better than nothing, but you can't expect much. Bells and whistles and no substance.

Only two companies build AVRs that are really well-engineered to drive real-world speakers; Cambridge Audio and NAD.

They are the only ones that actually give meaningful honest power ratings for 5 or 7 channels, and they are the only ones I would recommend to ANYONE!

The NAD T 748 can be had for $600, and it is a good performer for the money. If you want to spend less....buyer beware.

For anyone who has $800 to spend, the NAD T758 is really a good-sounding unit that will outperform anything else at its price IMO.

If a person can afford a Cambridge Audio receiver, IMO they have the best amplifiers and sound quality of anything at any price, but you have to pay for what you get; not cheap.

Unfortunately, auditioning ANYTHING outside of your home is a waste of time. Even the best hi-end stores seldom have really good acoustics, and the stuff connected to each other is usually a mixed bag.

I won't buy ANYTHING without taking it home for a few days to try it out. There are online retailers that will give you 30 days to return gear for a full refund. That is the way to go. Buy it, try it, and pay the return shipping if you have to.

It's better than getting stuck with the wrong thing.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-15-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Convinced my bb magnolia demo was very inaccurate and I can purchase a bnib Yamaha a730 adventage for $569 vs the marantz 5008 for $750....
What's a guy to do????
post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2013, 03:36 PM

Just returned from BB MHT, thought the yam a730 sounded pretty good. Used similar speakers to what I have at home and tried various units including pioneer elite sc70, 71, 73 as well as Denon x1000, 2000 and the marantz 5008. They had a demo disc blu ray of x-men running so I didn't get to put some music on to try. I was considering yam a720 online but at this price, yam a730 will do for me. Definitely a step up from my current sony dn1030. Will be pulling trigger in the next day or so. Happy choosing!
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

So you thought the Yamaha 730 sounded better than the Marantz 5008?

I know theres no bad choice but would be nice to here from the die-hards that deal with these on the regular...

To me I thought the Marantz sounded better & everyone I spoke to a crutchfiled seem to prefer the Marantz over the yamaha.

post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2013, 05:20 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The problem is that it has become virtually impossible to build a receiver and sell it for under $500 that can adequatey drive 5 decent speakers (NONE of which are REALLY 8 ohms anymore).

Actually most of them can drive most speakers. 8 ohms has the same meaning it had 20 years ago. Commy simply doesn't recognize that it is a nominal rating.
Quote:
They are all cheaping out with Class D amplifiers and inadequate power supplies, and they all sound like crap, especially when pushed hard at higher volumes.

Not true. Very few use switching amplifiers and most have perfectly adequate power supplies to handle the job for which they were designed.
Quote:
Sure, there are lots of AVRs for under $500, but they are almost all pathetic performers with serious limitations. They also give power ratings that are a bad joke and totally deceptive, which should be totally ignored. Even the more expensive ones from OnkYamaPion are mostly junk IMO.

As commy knows, nobody shares that opinion.
Quote:
If all one has is $300, they are better than nothing, but you can't expect much. Bells and whistles and no substance.

Actually the bells and whistles start further up the line.
Quote:
Only two companies build AVRs that are really well-engineered to drive real-world speakers; Cambridge Audio and NAD.

No true but he continues to try to sell his favorites.
Quote:
They are the only ones that actually give meaningful honest power ratings for 5 or 7 channels, and they are the only ones I would recommend to ANYONE!

Power ratings are determined by statute. Manufacturers who make dishonest ratings are breaking the law and could face serious fines.
Quote:
The NAD T 748 can be had for $600, and it is a good performer for the money. If you want to spend less....buyer beware.

If you don't buy his favorite, then you are in for trouble.
Quote:
For anyone who has $800 to spend, the NAD T758 is really a good-sounding unit that will outperform anything else at its price IMO.

Another opinion shared by no one else.
Quote:
If a person can afford a Cambridge Audio receiver, IMO they have the best amplifiers and sound quality of anything at any price, but you have to pay for what you get; not cheap

No question that small production that doesn't benefit from the economies of scale of large corporations certainly comes with a high price tag..
Quote:
Unfortunately, auditioning ANYTHING outside of your home is a waste of time. Even the best hi-end stores seldom have really good acoustics, and the stuff connected to each other is usually a mixed bag.

At last, we agree. Except that most audio stores have better acoustics than most home listening rooms.
Quote:
I won't buy ANYTHING without taking it home for a few days to try it out. There are online retailers that will give you 30 days to return gear for a full refund. That is the way to go. Buy it, try it, and pay the return shipping if you have to.

It's better than getting stuck with the wrong thing.

Especially if you don't buy a NAD or a Cambridge!! Sorry guys, I'm working hard to try to correct Commy's misinformation. He spews so much of it, it is hard to keep up. Sorry for my post.
jcwhammie likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-12-2014, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

So had the marantz 5008 since about Dec. 15th but contemplating returning it & stepping-up as been reading the xt-32 is soooo worth the added expense.... So where should I stand now, the Denon 4000 vs Marantz 7008, any others that should sound just as good? Thought I read somewhere some guys were having issues with the denon 4000 having overheat or dying issues in some cases or I maybe mistaken? Im so tired of overthinking all this but want a to make the right choice.... Using xt-32 would I really even hear a significant improvement in sound on my mid-range priced HSU bookshelfs over xt?

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Yamaha Rx A720 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Marantz Sr5008 , Nad T 787 , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page