Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161

New owner, just received my XDA-2, great price on sale for XMas.  I thought there might be enough interest in this nice digital pre to merit a thread.  As I'm a newbie to computer audio I'm hoping to have some free-ranging discussion of related topics as well. For ex., I will soon set about ripping CDs to WAV or FLAC files.

Comparisons to other usb DACs like Dragonfly or Explorer might be interesting here as well.  Per this month's Stereophile there's a soon-to-be-released crowd-source-funded $300 model called Geek Out from Light Harmonics.

Well anyway I've hooked the XDA-2 up to my laptop via USB, downloaded the Windows driver off the Emo website and just as easy as that I'm enjoying music. :)

So far I'm  playing CDs in the laptop's drive and listening with headphones as I'm waiting for some nice little KEF LS50 desktop monitors.  The SQ with SRC engaged is very detailed and pleasing to the ear, very nice and clearly superior to no-SRC.  It is also clearly superior to playing the same CD in my Denon DBP A100 connected via DenonLink to my Denon AVR A100 and listening through the AVR headphone jack.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #3 of 13 Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

soundofmind.... I am a new owner of the Emotiva XDA-2. So far I have yet to see any information regarding recommended break in time. Typically, i've seen a 40-48 break-in period prior to critical listening. Any recommendations? How many hours of listening do you have with the DAC? Any other suggestions on settings, software etc... Do you plan on playing high res audio files thru the DAC?

Set up:

Macbook Pro (2011 Model) output via USB using JRiver MC19 

Yamaha rx-v373 input via RCA cables from DAC

TSC (The Speaker Company - were an engineering company under Boston Acoustics) 5.1 system

Klipsch rw-d12

post #4 of 13 Old 01-07-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^Hi, jl!  Welcome to my lonely little thread, LOL.:D

I guess I've been running the XDA-2 for 50 hours or more, at first just listening with my Sony MDR-7506 HPs for a few hours.  But since the new KEF LS50s arrived I'm listening thru them. And KEF says they need 30-50 hours or more of break-in!   I'm not hearing much change in SQ in any case (but  I'm not a big believer in "break-in" of solid-state electronics). Here's a pic:

So far I just ripped a bunch of CDs on the Lenovo laptop right into WMP at highest quality as .wav files so when I play them the XDA-2 shows 44.1KHz.  I send the analog out to an Emotiva UPA-2 amp that's out of the way on a  shelf in the desk footwell.  I must say that well-recorded material sounds really great, esp  with SRC engaged. 

You're ahead of me with JRiver.  Since  I'm a total newb with computer audio I started another thread to discuss tips about making, storing and playing Hi-Res files off the computer:http://www.avsforum.com/t/1504965/computer-audio-basics#post_24060555

post #5 of 13 Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

^Hi, jl!  Welcome to my lonely little thread, LOL.biggrin.gif

SoM,

Nice looking office set up smile.gif! I would suggest that you post this thread in the 2 Channel Audio forum as well. You might get more interest over there as it is more geared towards two channel listening. Just a thought smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

SoM... so far JRiver has worked for me. I have a friend who recommended JRiver. Customization options are nearly endless. Trial version is the full version for 30 days. And from what I've read it serves as a great media center for blu-ray play as well if you are interested in eventually going with a home theater PC. Cost is relative cheap for the software compared to others with the ability to play FLACs, AIFF, mp3, wav, and ALAC files. I have yet to see a free version MC that can play all formats although I may just be uninformed in this regard.

The hi-res files. So far I've played FLACs and AIFFs. I'd recommend the flacs. As someone on the other thread you listed metioned EAC does a great job of ripping lossless audio files into FLACs. for another source, The HD tracks website offers a good website for downloading HD Audio files. Just be weary that not all of the HD files on there are true HD audio files. HD tracks is at the mercy of the recording studios. My experience is the jazz files and classical music files tend to be true HD files while it is a bit of a guessing game with some of the newer artists.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

SoM,
Nice looking office set up smile.gif! I would suggest that you post this thread in the 2 Channel Audio forum as well. You might get more interest over there as it is more geared towards two channel listening. Just a thought smile.gif.

Bill

Thanks for the compliment and the suggestion, Bill.

post #8 of 13 Old 01-10-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcon07 View Post

SoM... so far JRiver has worked for me....

Thnx, I think that's what I'll get.

post #9 of 13 Old 01-14-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Also go my XDA-2 yesterday; im happy with it, better then my previous Nuforce Udac2.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #10 of 13 Old 01-15-2014, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

H, welcome. 

How would you describe the SQ diff vs the NuForce?

I see you have the Oppo 103D, nice player.  I considered a 105 for the 2 ch system as it has the async usb, nice DACs and nice HP amp but it's nearly a grand more than than the XDA-2 and it seemed like overkill.

Are you guys using usb connection-and having to turn the XDA-2 on twice to get it to sync and play the files off the computer?  Or is there a better work-around?

post #11 of 13 Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

H, welcome. 

How would you describe the SQ diff vs the NuForce?

I see you have the Oppo 103D, nice player.  I considered a 105 for the 2 ch system as it has the async usb, nice DACs and nice HP amp but it's nearly a grand more than than the XDA-2 and it seemed like overkill.

Are you guys using usb connection-and having to turn the XDA-2 on twice to get it to sync and play the files off the computer?  Or is there a better work-around?
I just think everything sounds a little better, not a MASSIVE improvement but thats ok with me, im using SPDIF as i cant get the USB to work properly, it a handshake problem i guess.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #12 of 13 Old 02-08-2014, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post
... im using SPDIF as i cant get the USB to work properly, it a handshake problem i guess.

To get the usb to work, I first had to download & install  the driver on the computer off the Emo website of course. 

BUT, weirdly, I have power cycle the XDA-2 from Standby to ON , then back to standby.....wait 10 sec then turn it on again.  I have to do this EVERY Morning as I put the XDA-2 into Standby each night.

This trick works like a charm but it's annoying because my amp is down in the desk footwell so it'd be really nice to have it trigger on from the XDA but I don't like power cycling the amp every day like that. 

I have tried other potential ways to prompt the connection (like switching inputs, mute on/off, Vol up/down on the XDA) but have found nothing else works to establish the usb connection.

IIRC this issue was mentioned on the Emo Lounge as not unusual and as "par for the course for usb and unlikely to be fixed by FW update".  I believe it was mentioned that pulling out and plugging back in the usb connector works. 

I really should contact Emo CS (as should you! ;)).

post #13 of 13 Old 08-09-2014, 06:46 PM

Try the Schiit USB drivers, it worked well for me for XDA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Joshjp 
... im using SPDIF as i cant get the USB to work properly, it a handshake problem i guess.

To get the usb to work, I first had to download & install  the driver on the computer off the Emo website of course. 

BUT, weirdly, I have power cycle the XDA-2 from Standby to ON , then back to standby.....wait 10 sec then turn it on again.  I have to do this EVERY Morning as I put the XDA-2 into Standby each night.

This trick works like a charm but it's annoying because my amp is down in the desk footwell so it'd be really nice to have it trigger on from the XDA but I don't like power cycling the amp every day like that. 

I have tried other potential ways to prompt the connection (like switching inputs, mute on/off, Vol up/down on the XDA) but have found nothing else works to establish the usb connection.

IIRC this issue was mentioned on the Emo Lounge as not unusual and as "par for the course for usb and unlikely to be fixed by FW update".  I believe it was mentioned that pulling out and plugging back in the usb connector works. 

I really should contact Emo CS (as should you! ).
Try the Schiit USB drivers, it worked well for me for XDA2 without having to re establist anything when turning the Laptop off and on again.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xda 2 Usb Dac Digital Preamp And Headphone Amp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page