AVR upgrade recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi,

i would like to replace my old Yamaha AVR but have no real idea which direction should i go. I don't know which brand is better, if i pay lets say 1200 eur for dennon and same price for oknyo or yamaha or so, which would be the best choice...What i would need is:

- 2 HDMI outputs (TV + future projector)
- 2 optical audio inputs (if more, then better)
- LAN port (wifi absolutely not necessary)
- DLNA

Here is my setup which i currently have:

- 5.1 speakers DefTech ProMonitor 1000(front), DefTech Promonitor 800 (surround), ProCenter 2000, SVS 12 PB NSD sub
- Sonos Connect
- Xtreamer Pro as movie network player from NAS

I would like to invest money to outstanding sound quality product but on the other hand i don't want to invest fortune. I would say some 1000 eur +/- 200 or 300 eur (this equals to prices in US for same product but in USD).Simply want something which will last for some at least 5 years, even if technology could change very quickly. I don't care too much about 3D, and 4K here in eastern europe is matter of decade i think...i even don't have TV signal, sattelite, simply because watching TV eats so much time...so i decided to get rid of TV channels and not missing it anymore. Only watching movies.

Thanks for your good advices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 658
The sound quality is determined by the speakers and the room in which they operate. None of the other things contribute to sonics unless they are being used beyond their design capabilities with one exception and that is the room calibration software in the processor. In my experience all of the room calibration routines do a good job and any differences are extremely subtle at best. So it is just a matter of reviewing the specifications to make sure that the products have the features you need and will use.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I strongly recommend that you get either a NAD or a Cambridge Audio AVR.

The Cambridge Audio 551R is IMO by far the best you can get for that price ($1300 US).

Its power supply design is far more robust and will allow its amplifiers to drive your speakers better than any comparably priced AVR from Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer Onkyo, Anthem etc. (all of which tend to have marginal power supplies).

The NAD T758 is also a good one that sells for $1000 US.

NAD and Cambridge AVRs are simply engineered much better IMO and can drive most speakers much better with lower distortion and better sound quality.
abatsky likes this.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The Cambridge Audio 551R is IMO by far the best you can get for that price ($1300 US).

Its power supply design is far more robust and will allow its amplifiers to drive your speakers better than any comparably priced AVR from Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer Onkyo, Anthem etc. (all of which tend to have marginal power supplies).

NAD and Cambridge AVRs are simply engineered much better IMO and can drive most speakers much better with lower distortion and better sound quality.

bold claims. please provide some supporting evidence.
Kini62 likes this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #5 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ah again the same troll reaction as in other threads...
Commsysman what about not doing such things ?

It just plain not true.

To give some prove see this quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prietz0r View Post

If you are able to stretch your budget a little bit, you can look at the Pioneer Elite SC-63, which is 650 dollar at Amazon.
This receiver has 7.1 Pre-Outs and 9.1 connections(7.1 simultaneously), rated on 125 watts per channel.
And the Pioneer Elite SC-61, which is essentially the same, tested by Sound & Vision:

HT Labs Measures

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 127.2 watts
1% distortion at 150.3 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 109.0 watts
1% distortion at 127.7 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 99.4 watts
1% distortion at 110.3 watts

So the ratings are quite realistic wink.gif It's the opposite of what commsysman says.

That unit above is a medium-priced receiver.
That's by the way something like the Pioneer SC-2022 in Europe.
The successor is the Pioneer SC-2023.

TV: Panasonic TX-P50VT30E
Audio | Receiver: Pioneer VSX-AX2AS-S (Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS) | Speakers: 2x KEF Q900 for Fronts | 2x KEF Q700 for Rears
Audio/Video Sources | Panasonic DMP-BDT 310 | Pioneer PL-510 | HTPC using Intel i3-3220 16GB XBMC on Ubuntu 13.10
post #6 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 107
You have rather small, easy to drive speakers and a good sub. Based on that you shouldn't worry too much about power ratings as any receiver anywhere near your budget will drive them just fine.

As mentioned by another poster above, the room correction eq's will make the largest audible difference. I prefer systems that eq subs and deep bass as those areas tend to be most prone to room interaction. Anthems ARC and Audysseys MultEq XT32 are some of the most popular and well reviewed. Since you mention a NAS drive as a source, you may want to rule out the Anthem if you want to stream straight from the receiver. In that case check out the Denon AVR-X4000 as it is pretty feature rich, has MultEq XT32, lots of support for streaming, and just about every other bell and whistle Denon could jam in there.

If you already have a good streaming device, and are ok with a few less features and sticking with 5.1, Anthem's new MRX-310 has a very well regarded room correction system with their proprietary ARC system and may be in your price range.
embeathome likes this.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #7 of 8 Old 12-19-2013, 02:12 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Your nonsense is as tiring as a broken record. I hereby nominate you for AVS troll of the year.
embeathome likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Despite i am not here long time, i have seen several commsysman's posts and consider it as spam. smile.gif

I will try room calibration once i will get new AVR, i did same with my old Yamaha, which doesn't have built in room correction, i did it with SPL meter and i was really surprised about the difference!

@ Snowmanick - i have Sonos Connect as music media player and i am happy with it; if i would find X-4000 earlier, i would not buy Sonos of course, but...
I grabbed all my CDs to ALAC format and play it through Sonos with possibility to extend Sonos network in my house; i like the fact that i don't need wires.

Let me check what i could get here, never seen here Anthem for example...so it will probably again require trip to Austria or even Germany smile.gif But to be honest, i didn't want to mention X-4000 while posting my qustion, but it is possible that it is my favourite. However it is 1350 EUR, which is quite a lot of money...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Audio 551r 7 1 Hdmi A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 63 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 61 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver , Definitive Technology Promonitor 1000 Bookshelf Speaker Single White , Definitive Technology Promonitor 800 Bookshelf Speaker Single White
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page