Plz Help me choose the right receiver! Onkyo HT-RC270 bit the dust :( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys brand new to here looking to replace me Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver. Basically my onkyo is no longer working as the audio and some other functions just stopped working after only 2 years of light use. I did a few different searches on the web and it would seem as though this is extremely common for the 270, as well as a slue of other receivers with separate problems. Since my onkyo receiver is second hand and I bought it without a receipt it's essentially as useful and a bag of cement. Anyways I'm would ultimately like to find another receiver with the same features as I have a 65" Panasonic 3D plasma, a full 5.1 speaker setup etc.. I need something that is built for the future and capable of doing what I need. The one thing I wouldn't mind is if the receiver had better functions for playing music. I would really like to be able to pick through some different playback setting for music and adjust my eq. I personally did not find anything impressive about the onkyo 270. I know onkyo is supposed to be great but I thought it was a very simplistic receiver and am not partially impressed but wasn't totally disappointed if you get what I'm saying. Anyways I am cool with ordering off line and would like to spend about $300/$400. Now I know that this isn't a substantial amount of money but I have heard that there are some really good deals out there.

Keep in mind I am fairly electronically literate and I would really like something that caters to video and audio. I am looking for a gem here guys and not another lemon.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #3 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 04:02 PM
PCD

Liked: 19
The 270 seemed like a very simplistic receiver because...it was. I think the last I saw them new they were $189.00

I think you are going to be disappointed with anything in your price range, based on your requirements, whether it be Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. AVR prices are pretty much driven by features. You know, like at the bottom end you may not even get Audyssey, then for a few hundred more you get the basic 3 position, then all the way up to the 32 position version. I think those receivers start at about 1k.

There are some good open box or factory reconditioned deals to be had, or if you aren't too worried about used, you can pick up a couple year old model that was $1200.00 list for around $500.00

What type of speakers and sub do you have?

As well, I don't think you have to bump the thread after 12 hours.....if you read this forum, there are at least 10 questions identical to yours in the first 5 pages.

Pete

Evil Sysadmin

post #4 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 04:35 PM

In that price range, the Yamaha RXV475 is decent enough.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkling View Post

In that price range, the Yamaha RXV475 is decent enough.

Ya I will definitely check into this receiver. I didn't mean to make it sound like I need the most top notch receiver, I don't mind buying something that is a few years old even as long as it's good. I figured you guys would probably know where I could get an AVR online for a good deal. I guess prety much looking for the best bang buck AVR for around the $400 price point.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Be aware that any receivers before like 2008 or something cannot decode the latest formats i.e. TrueHD and Master Audio.

You should be able to find what you want for your price. I highly recommend you call Crutchfield 1.800.319.8264. They are very nice and their receiver prices should be as low as anybody.

Do consider that receiver (should!) last a looooong time, like most folks' Denons. If there are some features you want, please spend somewhat more than your budget so that a) you are happy and b) you don't have to upgrade for a long time. One feature I find indispensable on my Denon is standby HMDI passthrough-I can still switch video sources when the receiver is off.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post

Be aware that any receivers before like 2008 or something cannot decode the latest formats i.e. TrueHD and Master Audio.

You should be able to find what you want for your price. I highly recommend you call Crutchfield 1.800.319.8264. They are very nice and their receiver prices should be as low as anybody.

Do consider that receiver (should!) last a looooong time, like most folks' Denons. If there are some features you want, please spend somewhat more than your budget so that a) you are happy and b) you don't have to upgrade for a long time. One feature I find indispensable on my Denon is standby HMDI passthrough-I can still switch video sources when the receiver is off.

Ya I have actually bought something from them before it would just be nice to hear from some of you guys on what you think would be a good bang for you buck receiver for around $400. It's always nice to hear others on their collective experiences. The yamaha 745 listed above looks prty nice, would this be a better receiver than my onkyo 270?
post #8 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 11:22 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
The new Denon X1000 would be a nice budget model if you don't plan to expand beyond 5.1 or the X2000 would be a good 7.1 or 5.1/Zone 2 model. Review posts #1 and #2 of the Denon thread to get an idea of what features are gained as you go from low end to the higher mid level models.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134184

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 12 Old 12-19-2013, 11:25 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD View Post

The 270 seemed like a very simplistic receiver because...it was. I think the last I saw them new they were $189.00

I think you are going to be disappointed with anything in your price range, based on your requirements, whether it be Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. AVR prices are pretty much driven by features. You know, like at the bottom end you may not even get Audyssey, then for a few hundred more you get the basic 3 position, then all the way up to the 32 position version. I think those receivers start at about 1k.

Just an FYI .. but the most mic positions provided by the higher two versions of Audyssey MultEQ XT and MultEQ XT32 is 8 mic positions. Rather one must purchase the separate Audyssey Pro Kit ($700) which uses software run from a laptop which can go up to 32 mic positions.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #10 of 12 Old 12-20-2013, 01:04 AM
PCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Just an FYI .. but the most mic positions provided by the higher two versions of Audyssey MultEQ XT and MultEQ XT32 is 8 mic positions. Rather one must purchase the separate Audyssey Pro Kit ($700) which uses software run from a laptop which can go up to 32 mic positions.

Thank you for the correction and my apologies for the misinformation.

Pete

EDIT: OP, I'm not sure how you feel about Onkyo, but this is on sale for 50% off at Amazon. Slightly higher than your budget but it is one heck of a receiver for $500.00.......DISCLOSURE: I am probably biased as I have one smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00505F01E/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d3_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1NE3KN64G9TZ5TFXSC9B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200422&pf_rd_i=507846

Evil Sysadmin

post #11 of 12 Old 12-20-2013, 01:11 AM
585-645-1006

No worries. An additional item regarding the Audyssey Pro Kit is that although it uses the version of Audyssey on the AVR, the AVR itself must be Audyssey Pro capable.

"JD" –

post #12 of 12 Old 12-20-2013, 01:21 AM
PCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

No worries. An additional item regarding the Audyssey Pro Kit is that although it uses the version of Audyssey on the AVR, the AVR itself must be Audyssey Pro capable.

That makes perfect sense. I understand the concept. You are using a much more powerful device (the CPU) to do the calculations and corrections, then once the heavy lifting is done, send the file to the AVR.

I believe over the next couple of nights I'll go re-read the Audyssey thread.

Evil Sysadmin

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Onkyo Ht Rc270
Gear in this thread - X2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page