Video Processing/Scaling - worth it? (Denon X-1000 v X-2000) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-20-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a simple man, with simple needs. What I'm hoping is that you can help me decide whether I need video processing capability in my next receiver.

I'm currently running my basic 3.1 system with a Denon AVR-2805. It's a great receiver, but after eight years it's time to upgrade to something with HDMI inputs and outputs.

My inputs are a Tivo Series 4, a Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray, and a Google Chrome.

My television is a Panasonic TH-50PX75U. 720p. Six years old.

I've narrowed down the replacement receiver to the Denon X-1000 or the X-2000. The relevant differences between the two are (a) the X-2000 provides 1080p/4K video scaling/passthrough and (b) if I buy the X-1000 I have $200 extra to spend on bourbon.

There's no sense in investing in video processing given my current TV. All of the inputs generate, and the TV displays, a perfectly good 720p signal.

That said, the plasma won't last forever (though I expect to get another 5 years out of it, at least). At which point 4K may well be a widespread feature.

So, does it make sense to invest $200 in the X-2000 now to get the video processing so the Blu-Ray and the Tivo signals can get upscaled to 4K if and when I get a 4K tv? Is there any chance that the Denon video processing is so superior to the processing on the Panasonic that it's worth the investment?

Appreciate any insight you folks can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-20-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
All televisions scale everything to their native resolution. If you get a 4K TV, the tv will scale the image to 4K regardless of the source resolution. The only reason to have the receiver do it, is if it does a better job than the TV, but I doubt any of this years denons will do a better job than a TV 5 years from now.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 2805 A V Home Theater Receiver , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page