AVS Forum banner
825 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  WolfR1 
#1 ·

I've had the 706 for roughly 5 years now and it recently broke! It appears to respond to input fine but it plays back anything and everything with hissing and popping. Doesn't matter if it's from an optical source or electrical source. It does it over all connected speakers, even the sub. I've already replaced it with a shiny new TX-NR727 and pretty damn pleased with it. I didn't think I could get more out of my system but the new box has managed to make things sound noticeable better, even if it's slight.

Anyway, come back to the 706 and my heart breaks when I think that it would be relegated to the tech recycle pile. Is there anything I can do with this? Would it be worth the cost to have it repaired? I haven't done any leg work yet, it's Sunday before Christmas so getting a hold of repair centers will have to wait. Just thought I'd ping the brain trust on all things A/V. :)

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfR1  /t/1507078/tx-sr706-worth-repairing#post_24105747

I've had the 706 for roughly 5 years now and it recently broke! It appears to respond to input fine but it plays back anything and everything with hissing and popping. Doesn't matter if it's from an optical source or electrical source. It does it over all connected speakers, even the sub. I've already replaced it with a shiny new TX-NR727 and pretty damn pleased with it. I didn't think I could get more out of my system but the new box has managed to make things sound noticeable better, even if it's slight.

Anyway, come back to the 706 and my heart breaks when I think that it would be relegated to the tech recycle pile. Is there anything I can do with this? Would it be worth the cost to have it repaired? I haven't done any leg work yet, it's Sunday before Christmas so getting a hold of repair centers will have to wait. Just thought I'd ping the brain trust on all things A/V.

Well that really depends how much you are wiling to spend. Did you get any quotes on what it cost to do the repair?

I know I pickup a 2nd hand Onkyo 809 with warranty for only $400 so there are deals out there and if you opt not to get it repaired due to the cost just give it to the recycle center in your area.

Good luck

#4 ·
I have a 606 that had it's hdmi die after a couple of years. Just like everyone else.

I then relegated it to only use toslink. A few days ago, all the toslink connections failed. I unplugged everything and took it out and the toslink suddenly started working again. Probably has a loose connection somewhere.

My point is the Onkyo's made during that time frame were junk. I wouldn't bother getting it fixed. For under $300, you can buy a new or refurbished receiver that has newer features like 3D and airplay and comes with a warranty.

#5 ·
#6 ·

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check around after Christmas and see. I won't be spending the cash to repair it if it's not worth it but it's still hard to relegate that thing to the recycle pile. Maybe I'll tear it apart and see if I can't find the board on the Internet myself.

#8 ·

Well the 706 was good to me for 5 years so I can't complain too loudly. I took this one apart but cannot find any of the circuit boards anywhere. Guess I'll just chalk it up to a loss. Though I've had it operational for a short while the 727 I replaced the 706 with so far is fantastic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.