Single or multiple Power Amps? Separate amps for music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-22-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello AVS forum!

I'm looking at a few applications that may require 1 or more amplifiers, and one of the applications is a turntable and having a separate amp may better the front speakers and I can look at a lower channel amp (I may just get a Emotiva monoblock for my center channel)  

The Processor or Pre-amp that I am most likely going with is the Yamaha CX-A5000 and I made this decision on my prior experience with Yamaha stereo receivers and I really enjoy the RS700 but mainly just use it for Vinyl but it's certainly not the best I've had for that application, just wanted to spin the records and chose the brand because I liked Yamaha.

So an obvious choice is to go with the MX-5000 and there are deals on Amazon and can get both under $5000 total (roughly $4000 as I may buy used and spend extra somewhere else maybe a better center channel speaker?)

But let's go back to Vinyl, generally a phono pre-amp and amp is all that's required to listen to vinyl, of course in the 50s you could just directly connect to an amp well that's how RCA showed it back in the day.   I will eventually buy a tube pre-amp but right now I'm just getting the main components and deciding on if separate amps would benefit the main speakers for music?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-22-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericks89 View Post

Hello AVS forum!

I'm looking at a few applications that may require 1 or more amplifiers, and one of the applications is a turntable and having a separate amp may better the front speakers and I can look at a lower channel amp (I may just get a Emotiva monoblock for my center channel)  

The Processor or Pre-amp that I am most likely going with is the Yamaha CX-A5000 and I made this decision on my prior experience with Yamaha stereo receivers and I really enjoy the RS700 but mainly just use it for Vinyl but it's certainly not the best I've had for that application, just wanted to spin the records and chose the brand because I liked Yamaha.

So an obvious choice is to go with the MX-5000 and there are deals on Amazon and can get both under $5000 total (roughly $4000 as I may buy used and spend extra somewhere else maybe a better center channel speaker?)

But let's go back to Vinyl, generally a phono pre-amp and amp is all that's required to listen to vinyl, of course in the 50s you could just directly connect to an amp well that's how RCA showed it back in the day.   I will eventually buy a tube pre-amp but right now I'm just getting the main components and deciding on if separate amps would benefit the main speakers for music?

you dont need a phono preamp, that yamaha has a phono input. just plug your turntable directly in to it.

personally i think monoblock amps are more hype then anything. id just use the MX-A5000 or similar multichannel amp and be done with it.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #3 of 3 Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Most receivers come with a phono input but that is not it's focus, it was just added on but in this price range it'll be hard to tell which is why I'm pushing off any phono preamps under the rug. 

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Cx A5000bl Aventage 11 2 Channel Av Pre Amplifier
Gear in this thread - A5000bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page