Preamps/Processors Around the $1000-$2000 Mark and Questions - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you live on a lifetime of peanut butter or jam?
Peanut butter 3 60.00%
Jam 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2013, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I was trying to do some research on preamps/processors, and I have a couple questions that might be easy to answer. Maybe I havent looked hard enough through the forum history, but I couldn't find anything that relates to my set of preferences in particular.

I'm used to just using AV receivers (like the Denon AVR 3313CI) with preouts to amps which offer both RCA and XLR inputs. I might be giving my 3313CI to my parents and moving onto other options. I'm wondering what exactly I'm looking for to keep using the amplifiers and subs I have while keeping connectivity with my PC and a handful of other devices. Am I looking for a preamp? Or am I looking for a processor? It seems like the vocab gets swapped around a lot and it makes it difficult to find a definitive answer.:confused:

After that, I'm wondering if there are any decent options available around the 1-2k price point. Since the question would probably come up anyways, this is what I'm sort of looking for:

-$0.01 - $2000.00 ish give or take

-Available in Canada or at least shippable there

-New in box priced. Nothing quite beats cracking open a pristine virgin good.

and either:

-XLR outputs for the 7 speaker channels, RCA for the 0.2 subs (would a XLR to RCA adapter work in place if there are only entirely XLR outputs for subs?)

-Or just RCAs all around if that's hard too find.

Do worthwhile preamps/processors (whichever or both) exist in this price range? I don't really need an amped reciever since all 7 channels are already powered via amps, so logically, I'm assuming there could be cheaper options offering the same quality and usability as receivers in that price range (just without the built in amps). On the flip side, I'm starting to think that pre/pros fill a small niche market where its not unusual to have units in the 5k+ range. At this price, am I stuck with a receiver with redundant built in amps?

Any directions to point me in for this kind of thing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 503
"Preamp" by itself usually refers to a stereo preamp which does little or no no audio processing -- bass management at most.

"Pre/pro" is the abbreviation of "preamp/processor" which is used to refer to a modern digital audio/video device, the equivalent of an AVR with its amps removed. However, they tend to be substantially more expensive than the equivalent AVR models because so many fewer are made.

I believe that the Marantz AV7701 and Integra DHC-60.5 are the only ones in your price range.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 12-23-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

From what I can find, it seems like it would be a better option at this price range to just find another receiver with preouts instead of a pre/pro.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player Two View Post

From what I can find, it seems like it would be a better option at this price range to just find another receiver with preouts instead of a pre/pro.
yup..

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 12-23-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:

I agree with that decision.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Quote:

I agree with that decision.

Bill

i agree with bill.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!