Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030 Pre-out question / running two pairs of front tower speakers. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-25-2013, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey everybody,

I currently have the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030 receiver powering Polk Audio RTI-A7's towers as fronts, A3's bookshelves as rear surrounds, and the Csi-A6 center channel speaker. The RTI-A9 towers just went on sale for a hot boxing week price so I pulled the trigger on them with a plan to move the A7's to the rear, and the bookshelves as mid-surrounds (my room doesn't really work with this). After thinking this over, and since a considerable amount of my listening is music (often in 2 channel), ...

Could I leave my setup as it is, and use the AVR's front pre-outs to an external amplifier (I'm looking at the Emotiva XPA-2), to power the A9's along side the A7's.

Will the pre-out still output signal when the AVR speaker output channels are being used? And assuming this works, would this be a good idea in regards to any timing differences or speaker interference?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 12:12 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Use one speaker per amplifier, one speaker per channel.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm not certain you understood my question... can you elaborate on that? Can I run two sets of front speakers like this?

post #4 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Yes you can. No AVR I know of has a function that prevents you from using the preamp outs and the corresponding internal amp channels at the same time. While it will 'work' you may want to reconsider doing this and just use the RTi9's for the front sound stage. You'll have sound waves bouncing all over the place.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 03:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Although using a second set of FL/FR speakers for music only listening is certainly not uncommon (aka "Front B" or "Zone B"), this configuration is more often handled with a separate set of on board amps going to each set of speakers to allow for each set of speakers to be independently selected. In the configuration you suggest, the FL/FR speaker posts and pre-outs would both be hot so you would be unable to use just the "music" FL/FR speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A3020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Polk Audio Rti A7 Floorstanding Speaker , Polk Audio Csi A6 Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker , Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - A3020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page