Powered XLR Subwoofer connection to home stereo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, I have a 2.1 powered monitor set (Yamaha HS-50M and HS-10W) that I want to use with an old Denon receiver that only has outputs for L and R speaker wire. Is this possible? I found some discussion saying it is a bad idea to connect an amplified receiver with high level outputs to the XLR inputs on the subwoofer, since they are expecting low level input. I stripped the end of two XLR connectors and inserted the pos and neg wires in the spring clip terminals of the receiver, but I can only get one side to work at any given time. Is there a way to wire a mixer to the receiver speaker wire output and convert it to a low level input for the subwoofer? Or some other solution?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quit Gerry-rigging this setup before you let the magic smoke out and get some XLR splitter adapters. You will also need some RCA to XLR adapters for connecting the Denon to the XLR cables.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You should either take a picture of the back of your receiver or give out its model number so other people can figure out the output option of your receiver.
Usually speaker level output is not quite compatible with line level input of powered speakers.

This show you the connection on the XLR site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector
You can usually connect to pin 2 and 3 or like the other person said buy a pre-made connector.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

The receiver is an 80s era Denon DRA-300. It has spring clip speaker wire outputs, no subwoofer connection.

The Yamaha subwoofer has dual XLR inputs for the L and R speakers.

I am now realizing the difference between speaker level and line level. Doh!

It seems that my best option might be to go with the high/low converters designed for use with car stereos, but the wires are, by necessity, very thin and fragile. Alternatively, I could just ditch the receiver and use a newer one or a mixer with phono preamp. What I am trying to connect is just a basic Denon cassette deck, a Yamaha turntable and a headphone jack for playing ipod tunes. It is just a simple bedroom stereo setup. Is it worth tinkering with this old receiver? Is there a better way? Thanks!

post #5 of 6 Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Does the Denon have preamp out jacks? If it does not then you will either need to buy speaker level to line level converters or scrap the idea entirely. Since the line level converters are crap by most who use them I'd forget it.

If the Denon has preamp outs then the connection is easy if you get the right adapters. You'll need an adapter for converting the Denon's RCA outs to the XLR cables that connect to the active speakers.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to try this converter-- http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40150_Xscorpion-LC09.html

For $10 I figured I would give it a shot and it lets you use a decent gauge of speaker wire, rather than the prewired versions. If it turns out to be garbage, I will probably swap the receiver for a mixer with proper line outs. Thanks for the help!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page