Do I need an amplifier for Klipsch RF7ii and RC64ii? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-27-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last week I bought a pair of RF7ii and a RC64ii and they work in conjuction with RS52 for a 5.1 system. SVS "waterheater" sub is also present smile.gif.
I'm using the Pioneer SC-1522k (9.2ch, 130watts/channel @8ohms, D3 amplifier). The receiver is exact same as Elite SC-65 without Elite branding.

Since these towers and the center are supposed to be extremely efficient I'm guessing I will not need an external amplifier to drive all, however, someone put in my ears that with an amp in addition to a receiver will do magic to these speakers. I'm a complete newbie to external amps so here I am.
Does anyone of you have experience with this combination? What do you think, do I really need to get and amp? Will bi-amping etc from receiver help?
Looking for some guidance so that I don't spend the money I don't have to. But if needed I will...
Thanks a lot in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayendra View Post

Last week I bought a pair of RF7ii and a RC64ii and they work in conjuction with RS52 for a 5.1 system. SVS "waterheater" sub is also present smile.gif.
I'm using the Pioneer SC-1522k (9.2ch, 130watts/channel @8ohms, D3 amplifier). The receiver is exact same as Elite SC-65 without Elite branding.

Since these towers and the center are supposed to be extremely efficient I'm guessing I will not need an external amplifier to drive all, however, someone put in my ears that with an amp in addition to a receiver will do magic to these speakers. I'm a complete newbie to external amps so here I am.
Does anyone of you have experience with this combination? What do you think, do I really need to get and amp? Will bi-amping etc from receiver help?
Looking for some guidance so that I don't spend the money I don't have to. But if needed I will...
Thanks a lot in advance!

Obtain a SPL meter that is fast-responding and has a peak hold feature. The AZ 8928 Decibel Meter (ebay) is one such device that I've used for this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Portable-Handy-Digital-Sound-Noise-Level-Meter-Decibel-Pressure-Logger-/121066991602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3027aff2

Play your system per your loudest preferences, and note the loudest peak. Convert SPL to watts by using an online dB calculator: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html . Plug information from your system into it and then vary the watts number until you get your actual SPL. Rough, but the best I've figured out so far.
ajayendra likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Black Each , Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 65 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page