Help Choosing a New AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JohnnymoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65

My price point is $500. or less. Some of these are new in boxes, some used. I am looking to upgrade to something with HDMI inputs/outputs and 7.1 is a must. I have an Oppo BDP 103 which will be my blu ray and music cd source. Another factor in my decision will be to have the ability to have Pre Outs for an external amp which will power speakers soley for music listening. Any suggestions other than what I have listed are welcomed as well as any other input.

Thank You kindly!

 

 

 

Denon AVR 791

Denon AVR 2310CI

Denon AVR E-400

Denon AVR 4306

Harman Kardon AVR 2650

Harman Kardon 1710


my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

JohnnymoZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
The Denon 791, 2310, E400, HK 1710 and 2650 don't have the preouts you're looking for.

Some have Zone 2 preouts but I don't think that's really what you want.

The Denon 4306 has a full set of preouts. The only drawback to the 4306 is the HDMI inputs cannot decode TrueHD or DTS-MA audio from Blu Ray. It will decode Dolby Digital and DTS from DVD though. This receiver only uses HDMI 1.1. You need ver 1.3 or higher to decode TrueHD and DTS-MA.

Blu Ray and HD-DVD were brand new when this receiver was released.

Otherwise the 4306 is a much higher end receiver that the other 5 on your list.

Since you have the Oppo maybe letting it do the the decoding is probably best anyway.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Badouri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
This one has front pre outs and can sometimes be found at around 400$. You can check the owner's thread if interested.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1123-K

http://www.soundandvision.com/node/100266
Badouri is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JohnnymoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65

Thank you for the help! May need to increase my limit another 100 bucks!!

 

Currently I have an H/K AVR-245 It gets the job done with my Oppo for movie watching. My whole problem is wanting to run a seperate set of speakers for music. My front surround speakers are not large enough to handle music for my listening preferences.... (at the levels I like :o)

 

Now heres something I cant understand. On my 245, there is a pre out.(not the one for the rear most speakers of the 7.1 channels) The manual says "use this if a more powerful amp is desired".... Ok, fine. I hooked it up using the L&R audio cables into the L&R of my external amp. The problem is that music always plays through the front surrounds as well as the external amp/speakers. Shouldnt using a pre out bypass all the other outputs for the surrounds? Audio hook up is analog from the Oppo to the H/K and 7.1 speaker outputs.

 

Ive also tried using the tape out jacks on the H/K and that does seem to give full power to the external amp.... BUT, I still have sound coming from the front surrounds. I have to manually turn it down all the way then use the external amps volume control knobs for levels.

 

Sorry for the long drawn out post, but Im on the fence about buying a new AVR and wanting one that addresses my issues....


my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

JohnnymoZ is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Member
 
neut6o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is a new avr that has preouts and handles the newer decoding standards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115377&Tpk=yamaha%20773. The yamaha 773 is under your limit and is normally on sale with free shipping at newegg. It is cheaper because the newer yamaha 775 is out and yamaha lowered the previous models price.
neut6o1 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JohnnymoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by neut6o1 View Post

Here is a new avr that has preouts and handles the newer decoding standards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115377&Tpk=yamaha%20773. The yamaha 773 is under your limit and is normally on sale with free shipping at newegg. It is cheaper because the newer yamaha 775 is out and yamaha lowered the previous models price.

Thank You... that looks like the zone 2 has speaker outputs all its own. I would guess that means audio would only be heard from those speakers when zone 2 is selected. So, this could negate me even having to use an external amp.....I wonder if the sub out will work when zone 2 is selected... great price too!!


my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

JohnnymoZ is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Member
 
neut6o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post

Thank You... that looks like the zone 2 has speaker outputs all its own. I would guess that means audio would only be heard from those speakers when zone 2 is selected. So, this could negate me even having to use an external amp.....I wonder if the sub out will work when zone 2 is selected... great price too!!

Yes, there are zone 2 speaker posts. Or if you need more power, you use the zone 2 preouts. When you enable zone 2 regardless of whether you use the speaker posts or preouts, I believe your main zone will turn off the surround back channels and turn to 5.1 only. But I think that you can have someone using the main zone(5.1) at the same time as when someone is using zone 2 regardless of what output for speakers is used. The subwoofer for the main zone should still work when zone 2 is selected. And you can select party mode which will play the same thing in main zone and zone 2. However, if you are not using party mode, only the analog or internal(pandora, airplay, tuner) inputs can be used as the source for zone 2.
neut6o1 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,034
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post

Thank You... that looks like the zone 2 has speaker outputs all its own. I would guess that means audio would only be heard from those speakers when zone 2 is selected. So, this could negate me even having to use an external amp.....I wonder if the sub out will work when zone 2 is selected... great price too!!

The sub pre-out only works with the main zone speakers. You may want to consider purchasing a second sub just for Zone 2 with speaker post connections if your Zone 2 speakers are not able to play a full range signal.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Member
 
neut6o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The sub pre-out only works with the main zone speakers. You may want to consider purchasing a second sub just for Zone 2 with speaker post connections if your Zone 2 speakers are not able to play a full range signal.

Yeah, I didn't know whether he meant using the sub for main or zone 2. I don't think the yamaha supports a subwoofer for zone 2 since there are only 2 speaker outputs for zone 2. Are there receivers that can support subwoofers through speaker posts rather than a sub preout? Maybe for passive subs or something?
neut6o1 is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JohnnymoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65

There are 2 sub pre outs....


my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

JohnnymoZ is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,034
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Simply a "Y" splitter for the main zone sub pre-out.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Member
 
neut6o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post

There are 2 sub pre outs....

Yes, but I believe both of those are for the main zone only.
neut6o1 is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Member
 
neut6o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Simply a "Y" splitter for the main zone sub pre-out.

What question is this answering?
neut6o1 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 11:14 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,034
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
As is generally the case .. the one directly above it. wink.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Member
 
neut6o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As is generally the case .. the one directly above it. wink.gif

The post directly above it says "There are 2 sub pre outs...." which wasn't a question. My question before that was "Are there receivers that can support subwoofers through speaker posts rather than a sub preout? Maybe for passive subs or something?". I must be missing something simple(wouldn't be the first time :-)) but I don't understand what question you were answering since the only question was asking whether there were receivers that support subwoofers through speaker posts. If you were saying you could have a second subwoofer for zone 2 through a splitter on the sub preout, that only copies the main zone and would not allow a subwoofer for zone 2. The yamaha 773 already has 2 subwoofer preouts anyway(probably equivalent to a y splitter) but I believe both only support the main zone.

jdsmoothie, you said before "You may want to consider purchasing a second sub just for Zone 2 with speaker post connections if your Zone 2 speakers are not able to play a full range signal". If a second sub took up a set of zone 2 speaker post connections, wouldn't that take one of the zone 2 front speakers meaning you would have a 1 front speaker and 1 subwoofer? The real limitation is there are only 2 zone 2 audio outputs for the yamaha 773 meaning two fronts seem to be the only possibility. Let me know if there is something I am missing.

I wish I knew whether the OP was asking whether a sub would work in the main zone when zone 2 was enabled(Yes, it should work fine), or if they wanted to use a sub in zone 2(I don't think that will work on the yamaha 773 since the subs are for the main zone).
neut6o1 is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JohnnymoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by neut6o1 View Post


The post directly above it says "There are 2 sub pre outs...." which wasn't a question. My question before that was "Are there receivers that can support subwoofers through speaker posts rather than a sub preout? Maybe for passive subs or something?". I must be missing something simple(wouldn't be the first time :-)) but I don't understand what question you were answering since the only question was asking whether there were receivers that support subwoofers through speaker posts. If you were saying you could have a second subwoofer for zone 2 through a splitter on the sub preout, that only copies the main zone and would not allow a subwoofer for zone 2. The yamaha 773 already has 2 subwoofer preouts anyway(probably equivalent to a y splitter) but I believe both only support the main zone.

jdsmoothie, you said before "You may want to consider purchasing a second sub just for Zone 2 with speaker post connections if your Zone 2 speakers are not able to play a full range signal". If a second sub took up a set of zone 2 speaker post connections, wouldn't that take one of the zone 2 front speakers meaning you would have a 1 front speaker and 1 subwoofer? The real limitation is there are only 2 zone 2 audio outputs for the yamaha 773 meaning two fronts seem to be the only possibility. Let me know if there is something I am missing.

I wish I knew whether the OP was asking whether a sub would work in the main zone when zone 2 was enabled(Yes, it should work fine), or if they wanted to use a sub in zone 2(I don't think that will work on the yamaha 773 since the subs are for the main zone).
 
I am sorry for confusing things here.... I was asking if zone 2 would have the  sub out active.... It wont.... JDSmoothie was actually saying the 2 sub outs I was referring to is merely a Y splitter.. The suggestion of using a second sub, (btw I have 2 powered subs).... I could use a second sub in zone 2 using the high line inputs on the sub wired off the L&R speakers in zone 2. Bi wiring is what I think this would be...
 
What Im trying to accomplish is almost having 2 complete seperate systems..... within one. Right now I have no choice but to use a second receiver to accomplish having a single volume control and an active sub pre out. My 2 music listening speakers are hooked to this seperate receiver. There seems no way to segregate zone 2 completely using the H/K AVR that I use for movie watching. I dont want any sound from the main zone while playing music through zone 2. Im not 100% sure if the RX 773 will play music through zone 2 omiiting any sound to the main zone. I could enable a sub with the bi wiring method mentioned above. If I was 100% positive, I might buy it or something with the same capabilities.
 

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

JohnnymoZ is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Member
 
neut6o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ahh, I apologize to jdsmoothie. I was definitely confused and now understand he was just explaining the same thing I did, that both sub outs are playing the same thing for the main zone.

I see what you are saying that you could connect a speaker cable to the zone 2 binding posts and then the cable would have to be split so that the signal could go to both the subwoofer and fronts. I don't know if that would work. Goes beyond my knowledge.

As for whether you can totally turn off sound from main zone while the zone 2 is playing, I haven't seen anything saying that isn't possible. But feel free to look into yourself. Here is the manual: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=55179
neut6o1 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JohnnymoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by neut6o1 View Post

Ahh, I apologize to jdsmoothie. I was definitely confused and now understand he was just explaining the same thing I did, that both sub outs are playing the same thing for the main zone.

I see what you are saying that you could connect a speaker cable to the zone 2 binding posts and then the cable would have to be split so that the signal could go to both the subwoofer and fronts. I don't know if that would work. Goes beyond my knowledge.

As for whether you can totally turn off sound from main zone while the zone 2 is playing, I haven't seen anything saying that isn't possible. But feel free to look into yourself. Here is the manual: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=55179

Thanks for all of your input. Do you own the RXV-773?


my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

JohnnymoZ is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Member
 
neut6o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post

Thanks for all of your input. Do you own the RXV-773?

Yes, I actually just got it about a month ago from newegg. I would try out what you are asking(zone 2 plays while main zone doesn't), but I don't have a second pair of speakers to test with. I am currently using only 2 fronts on it until I figure out what surround speakers to get. I don't have a subwoofer either. But let me know if you want me to try out something else.
Badouri likes this.
neut6o1 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
JohnnymoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by neut6o1 View Post


Yes, I actually just got it about a month ago from newegg. I would try out what you are asking(zone 2 plays while main zone doesn't), but I don't have a second pair of speakers to test with. I am currently using only 2 fronts on it until I figure out what surround speakers to get. I don't have a subwoofer either. But let me know if you want me to try out something else.

Thank you very kindly!!


my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

JohnnymoZ is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 791 Receiver , Denon Avr2310ci 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr E400 , Denon Avr 4306b 7 1 Ch Home Theater Multimedia A V Receiver Black , Harman Kardon Avr 2650 Audio Video Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 1710 7 2 Channel 100 Watt Network Connected Audio Video Receiver , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off