How to turn off Dolby and LFE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-28-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello

Like mentioned in the title I am having trouble with turning off Dolby Suround.

Somehow the receiver turned them on and I don't know how to turn it off.

I got the Sony STR DH520

Advice?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-28-2013, 02:34 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 831
I'm not familiar with your brand but I suspect it probably works like others. The subwoofer is normally turned off in the manual speaker adjustments in the setup screen. In addition to the automatic calibration, there should be a manual setup screen that will allow you to change the subwoofer from yes to no or on to off. Of course, the subwoofer itself should have a switch to turn it off.

To turn off the surround processing most units would simply have you choose the stereo or direct mode rather than one of the surround modes.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

I'm not familiar with your brand but I suspect it probably works like others. The subwoofer is normally turned off in the manual speaker adjustments in the setup screen. In addition to the automatic calibration, there should be a manual setup screen that will allow you to change the subwoofer from yes to no or on to off. Of course, the subwoofer itself should have a switch to turn it off.

To turn off the surround processing most units would simply have you choose the stereo or direct mode rather than one of the surround modes.

I do not have a subwoofer and my multi channel settings are right. I got four speakers. 

post #4 of 8 Old 12-28-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
In all honesty, it is not really clear what you mean by "turn off Dolby" and "turn off LFE". Can you elaborate, maybe?

If you configure your AVR as having NO SUB connected, the LFE channel will be routed into your front left and right speakers. Is this what you want to do? If not, and you really want to "turn off LFE", and not send the LFE channel to your front speakers, and drop it altogether, then leave the AVR configured as having a subwoofer; just don't connect one (obviously).

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 8 Old 12-28-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

In all honesty, it is not really clear what you mean by "turn off Dolby" and "turn off LFE". Can you elaborate, maybe?

If you configure your AVR as having NO SUB connected, the LFE channel will be routed into your front left and right speakers. Is this what you want to do? If not, and you really want to "turn off LFE", and not send the LFE channel to your front speakers, and drop it altogether, then leave the AVR configured as having a subwoofer; just don't connect one (obviously).

Aha I did not know what LFE is doing. So then it is not a problem. Only remaining is how to turn off the Dolby Suround.

Without knowing the DH520 it is probably impossible to tell which buttons I have to press on the remote.

post #6 of 8 Old 12-28-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
LFE is the .1 part of 5.1. It is a channel containing low frequency effects - explosions and such. If you configure your system with no subwoofer, LFE content will be redirected to the L/R mains.

Dolby Surround is an encoding method used to expand stereo sources to the number of channels configured in your system. The processor uses ProLogic to do the expansion. If the source is already 5.1, ProLogic doesn't do anything as it can't expand something that is already expanded. So, you have nothing to be concerned about with movies. If you don't want to expand stereo sources, things like music CDs and SD TV shows, then turn off ProLogic in your receiver. The manual will explain how.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-29-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

I think I figured out why I have problems with the sound output.

Its not due the receiver it due my PS3. 

I think when I start games they send Dolby Digital Signal and the receiver only forwards them.

So I need to turn off dolby digital at the PS3 probably.

But when I play music from the PS3 I get normal sounds.

As if I could find where to turn it off :(

I will turn off ProLogic, maybe this will help. 

post #8 of 8 Old 12-29-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Why do you want Dolby surround turned off? How many speakers do you have in your system.

I'm pretty sure there is a button on the remote to just play a stereo mode if you want.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Strdh520 7 1 Channel 3d Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page