Looking to upgrade to a modern AVR?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-28-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok folks, I am in the market for a new AVR soon and figured I would run by all of my needed things I’d like to have in the AVR and see what you all can recommend for me? Not sure of my budget but would guess between 500-1000 should get a nice set up ?

I currently have a Marantz SR7300 that has no HDMI at all and is only capable of 5.1 along with no room correction on it to run, my current equipment is listed below and all of which is in a hall closet and will eventually be controlled by a Harmony Ultimate RF remote and hub or something similar.

65”Panny VT60, 1-HDMI, 1-Opt and 1 Cat5E ran to it mounted on the wall, can run other wires if needed as well (electrician)

I now have a 7.2 set-up in my LR with all in-walls and 2- 12” powered sealed subs

I have a Sony 400 disc SACD with multi channel analog audio outs that plays CD/DVD’s as well via component video. But will mainly use it for SACD only especially after I purchase a BD player

Soon to be added BD Player to the set up but AVR is 1st on the list right now.

Things I would like are,

A good room correction specifically good for 2 subs and 2 separate sub outputs I guess is the way to go?

Are most microphones for room correction wire pretty long or extensions available to get to hall closet and have enough to move to whatever locations needed in my LR for the process?

A 2nd zone for my outside pool patio speakers, maybe a HDMI out for that zone as well for possible future use if I get to it?

AVR controllable by Android App, especially for changing stations and volume in zone 2 from out at the pool/patio area.

Multi-channel analog inputs of course for my SACD player

Currently I use my 65VT60 for streaming Netflix and such and not sure if streaming would be better via a AVR with the built in apps??

HD radio would be nice to have as well.

I’m hoping this is a good start and any thoughts and recommendations are VERY much appreciated from all.

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Either the Marantz SR5008 or SR6008 would be good options for you with a full set of EXT IN inputs and dual sub pre-outs as well as using Audyssey MultEQ XT. The mic cable is 25' in length which can be extended to a maximum of 50' with a 25' extension without any signal degradation. Of the two models, only the SR6008 offers the Zone 2 (HDMI) output if that is a mandatory requirement.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 18 Old 12-29-2013, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Or you could get a processor and keep using your receiver as an amplifier.
mo949 likes this.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Either the Marantz SR5008 or SR6008 would be good options for you with a full set of EXT IN inputs and dual sub pre-outs as well as using Audyssey MultEQ XT. The mic cable is 25' in length which can be extended to a maximum of 50' with a 25' extension without any signal degradation. Of the two models, only the SR6008 offers the Zone 2 (HDMI) output if that is a mandatory requirement.

Thanks for the input, I think I wanna stick with a Marantz but have also been told the Yamaha Aventage series are also nice?? Decisions decisions....will continue reading tons of posts and try to narrow things down a bit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Or you could get a processor and keep using your receiver as an amplifier.
Not familiar with adding just a processor, I can only assume it would be a complete new learning curve and possibly may have issues with switching and harmony remote command problems ?? But again , completely unfamiliar ground for me, looks like some more reading ...
post #5 of 18 Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

[quote Of the two models, only the SR6008 offers the Zone 2 (HDMI) output if that is a mandatory requirement.[/quote]

Currently having a problem downloading the user manuals (may be marantz site or my PC??) But wondering what this section of the comparison means between the 6008/5008

DSD(SA-CD)/NEURAL Yes / -

Looks like the 6008 has it but not sure what it does or could do for me ? Also the basic info in the comparisons looks like neither have a HD Radio Tuner, is that correct?

Hopefully I'll be able to download the manuals soon but figured someone would be able to fill me in until then.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

The more and more I read up on room correction AVR's the more it looks like I would benefit extremely with a AVR that has XT32+Sub EQ HT with my 7.2 set-up. Seems like Audyssey is the favored dual sub set-up room correction talked about here, more preferred over Yamaha's version or others room correction software.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post

[quote Of the two models, only the SR6008 offers the Zone 2 (HDMI) output if that is a mandatory requirement.

Currently having a problem downloading the user manuals (may be marantz site or my PC??) But wondering what this section of the comparison means between the 6008/5008

DSD(SA-CD)/NEURAL Yes / -

Looks like the 6008 has it but not sure what it does or could do for me ? Also the basic info in the comparisons looks like neither have a HD Radio Tuner, is that correct?

Hopefully I'll be able to download the manuals soon but figured someone would be able to fill me in until then.[/quote]

It means the 6008 can decode DSD over HDMI from an SACD player whereas the 5008 cannot (ie. the SACD player would have to do the decoding to PCM first and then pass it to the 5008). Neither model features and HD Tuner, rather only the higher model SR7008 does.

Quote:

The more and more I read up on room correction AVR's the more it looks like I would benefit extremely with a AVR that has XT32+Sub EQ HT with my 7.2 set-up. Seems like Audyssey is the favored dual sub set-up room correction talked about here, more preferred over Yamaha's version or others room correction software.

Only the higher model SR7008 has these Audyssey features.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #8 of 18 Old 01-04-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Only the higher model SR7008 has these Audyssey features.

Thanks for the explanation JD, I'm trying to select the better receiver for my specific set up and do this right the 1st time based on my want/needed features hopefully...I'm currently looking at other higher end models as well like the denon 4000 series along with some other manufacterers besides just Marantz...but definitely believe I want to be able to room correct with the better audyssey for dual identicalsubs at a minimum...my research and reading continues....
Thanks again...
post #9 of 18 Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 PM

Liked: 13
My vote... The Pioneer SC-1223. I have the SC-1222 - love it!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/SC-1223-K

Nate
post #10 of 18 Old 01-04-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamadawg_63 View Post

My vote... The Pioneer SC-1223. I have the SC-1222 - love it!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/SC-1223-K

Nate

Thanks Nate, will check it out...so
many great options out there.....
post #11 of 18 Old 01-04-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know when most if not all mfrs start rolling out their newer models?Just wondering so I can possibly score a good deal on the 2013 higher end models maybe ? Like would Denon be replacing their X4000 AVR with a newer upgraded model soon ?
post #12 of 18 Old 01-04-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Usually around April the new receivers debut but the higher end models come out a few months later like June.

The Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is Jan 7-10 in Vegas. That's usually when news of the upcoming models is released.

Afro GT
post #13 of 18 Old 01-05-2014, 05:48 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Anyone know when most if not all mfrs start rolling out their newer models?Just wondering so I can possibly score a good deal on the 2013 higher end models maybe ? Like would Denon be replacing their X4000 AVR with a newer upgraded model soon ?

Some also do new roll-outs at CEDIA in September. Gives manufactures another chance to launch something right before the Holiday Season.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-05-2014, 06:07 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

The replacement for the X4000 wouldn't be expected to be announced until March as that is when Denon generally releases the new model information with the actual release dates of the units themselves from April - June. Marantz generally follows a month or two behind with the release of their new models.

"JD" –

post #15 of 18 Old 01-05-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Usually around April the new receivers debut but the higher end models come out a few months later like June.

The Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is Jan 7-10 in Vegas. That's usually when news of the upcoming models is released.

Thanks Afrogt, looks like I see what info comes out of CES in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamadawg_63 View Post

Some also do new roll-outs at CEDIA in September. Gives manufactures another chance to launch something right before the Holiday Season.

Thanks Bama, just not sure if I can hold back my compulsive buying itch I have right now til sept...LOL

Quote:

The replacement for the X4000 wouldn't be expected to be announced until March as that is when Denon generally releases the new model information with the actual release dates of the units themselves from April - June. Marantz generally follows a month or two behind with the release of their new models.

Thanks JD, hopefully I'll be able to hold off that long, I was very temped last night with a X4000 (refurb) I seen on AFL site for a pretty decent price, looks like the X4000 would have everything I could ask for and then some, just not sure about a refurbed unit and have never owned a Denon before, they are definitely highly recommended here on AVS and would have all I need but so would the higher end Marantz models and other manufacturers as well?? May just be that time to change it up a bit and try something new/different. I can only imagine SQ between the higher end models that are mentioned would be very close to each other and a very minor differences ??
post #16 of 18 Old 01-08-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input on options for a new AVR, just purchased the Denon 4520ci with the Denon 3313 BD Player from JD with AVScience :-)
Thanks again JD for all the help and links you passed my way....now Its time to prepare for the newest members of the house :-)
post #17 of 18 Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Currently I use my 65VT60 for streaming Netflix and such and not sure if streaming would be better via a AVR with the built in apps??

AVR's do not have a built in Netflix app so you'll have to continue to use your 65VT60 for that unless your Denon 3313 BD player streams Netflix.

Afro GT
post #18 of 18 Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

AVR's do not have a built in Netflix app so you'll have to continue to use your 65VT60 for that unless your Denon 3313 BD player streams Netflix.

OK thanks for the reply. I believe the BD player will take care of that, time to download and start reading a couple manuals and read a ton of threads on both the AVR and player until they arrive :-) I would imagine some devices are far better with streaming media in specific ways then others....just another learning curve Ill be reading about....this is the beginning of a great thing for me since I've never had a BD player and all the other equipment I've acquired over the past year with the help of this forum and all the members..
Thanks again...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page