AVS Forum banner

Humming Sound when PC connected to Receiver

309 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  lovinthehd 
#1 ·

Hi,

I recently installed a 3.5mm stereo to RCA plug to stream audio from my PC to my Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver.  The connection is direct.  No couplers/extenders/adapters/wi-fi/etc.  The stream works and I can hear audio through my PC. However, there is a distinct background humming noise through the Infiniti Alpha speakers that are connected to the receiver.  

Some research I did suggested it might be a ground loop.  However, I tested this by hooking up all electrical components on the PC AND receiver to the same electrical outlet.  It did not make a difference. The background humming noise was still present.

I also tried playing the signal through various ports on the receiver, including CD, DVD, Tape, and Video2.  All produced the exact same background humming noise.

I thought it could possibly be a defective 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable.  So I bought another cable and the sound was still present.  So I don't think it is a defective cable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ground loop hum isn't always defeated by using the same electrical outlet. You might look into ground loop isolators. What other equipment do you have besides the pc and receiver? If you have a cable or sat box, that could be a culprit, too as installers sometimes don't ground such properly (my last place had such an issue, same equipment in new place with good installer paying attention to the original ground point, no problem).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.