Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Don't know if this makes a difference but it looks like speaker sets
"A & B" are both on? Shouldn't it be just " A" ?

Lower left corner of the display.
post #33 of 59 Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
If you are getting stereo PCM from the player, then it pretty much has to be for one of three reasons:
(a) you are playing a disc with a stereo PCM track.
(b) the player is set to output stereo PCM (which you say is not the case)
(c) the receiving device tells the player to send stereo PCM regardless of the player output settings. That happens when a device like a TV tells the player it cannot process an encoded multichannel track.
post #34 of 59 Old 12-31-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are my settings for the OPPO blu-ray player, Time Warner Cable Box, blu-ray disk and the settings in the output menu of the SC-61 CableBox.jpg 125k .jpg file OPPOBlu-ray.jpg 184k .jpg file Blu-raydisk.jpg 134k .jpg file SC-61SettingsforCableBox.jpg 170k .jpg file SC-61SettingsforOPPO.jpg 170k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CableBox.jpg (124.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg OPPOBlu-ray.jpg (183.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Blu-raydisk.jpg (133.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SC-61SettingsforCableBox.jpg (169.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SC-61SettingsforOPPO.jpg (170.5 KB, 14 views)

Up and Running
post #35 of 59 Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

You will notice on the Blu-ray disk image that only LPCM Stereo is showing even thought Dolby True HD 7.1 is selected. This was not the case in the past. I was always able to choose and have Dolby True HD 7.1 Thanks for any and all inputs. This is what I am doing on New Years Eve. Happy New everybody.

Up and Running
post #36 of 59 Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Try disconnecting the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. It is possible that the HDMI handshake with the TV is forcing a stereo output. Disconnecting the cable will prevent the handshake.

btw, menus are often only stereo. Perhaps your player is simply reporting the audio format of the menu there. What does it say when you display the audio format while the movie is playing?
post #37 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiedrowski View Post

One more DSC_0022.jpg 205k .jpg file

guy

I think you have your receiver is Stereo mixdown mode, which is one of the Auto Surround formats you can select. All you need to do is press the STANDARD button on the remote to select one of the surround processing formats, or you can use the Auto/ALC/Direct button to select Optimum, Direct, ALC mode. In Stereo mixdown, the receiver will take any input, even 5.1, and mix it down to 2 channels, folding the surround, center, and sub into stereo.

basically, you accidentally pressed the STANDARD button on your remote and selected STEREO or used the i-app to get to STEREO. now you have to press STANDARD again to select one of the other surround processing formats (Dolby ProLogic IIx, DTS NeoX, etc) or you can press the Auto/ALC/Direct button to the left of the STANDARD button to select Direct, ALC, Optimum, Pure Direct.

I don't think there's nothing wrong with your receiver. I think you just hit a button and don't know what what happened. after you get this resolved, I think you'd be wise to set down with your manual and learn what some of the settings and buttons do smile.gif Also, if you want the receiver to decode the disc format and not send PCM, make sure your Oppo is set to bitstream or auto in the video HDMI setting. your receiver can't receive PCM if the player is set to bitstream.

thanks for posting the other photos but the really relevant ones were the 1st 2 you posted. it's pretty obvious from the display what happened since that is exactly what the receiver will display when you select Stereo from the STANDARD choices.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

I pretty much suspected this was going to be the reason but wanted some pics. sorry you did the factory reset, it wasn't needed.

I believe you'll find I am right on this but try it and see, let us know. all it takes is a press of the correct remote button.

your receiver is not stuck in PCM or 2 channel. it is processing all your inputs doesn't matter what format it's in, even with bitstreamed inputs, but it's taking it and mixing it down to Stereo which is one of the STANDARD audio format selections.

Steve
post #38 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Don't know if this makes a difference but it looks like speaker sets
"A & B" are both on? Shouldn't it be just " A" ?

Lower left corner of the display.

Grasshopper, I think you need to answer this question before you go "zen" on anything else.... :-)
post #39 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
you're right that it's not relevant smile.gif but it is an indicator the poster may not be the master of his settings wink.gif

to the OP, if you really don't want the B speakers on, use the SPEAKERS button on the remote to toggle through your speaker selections to change to just A. that will be in your manual, shown on the remote page and described later in the manual (see page number on the remote diagram page I cut out)

Steve
post #40 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

ah but I think you will find that IT IS relevant... :-)
post #41 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
you mean this?

you're right, it could be relevant smile.gif

A+B = A speakers are restricted to 5 channels but B speakers are downmixed to 2. if he's trying to listen to 7.1, all he'd get would be 5.1 on A and stereo on B

depending on what speakers the OP is referring to that only are stereo....that could be part of his dilemma. but his display says Stereo which is one of the STANDARD modes, so that is still the most likely issue....an incorrect audio format setting. but he should also change speakers to just A if he wants to hear 7.1 audio!

and this reinforces his need to better learn how the receiver works - it's all there in the manual.

he probably could have resolved this problem in < 30 minutes (and I'm being generous) if he was more familiar with the manual. there's no mystery here.

Steve
post #42 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

ah.... but I think you might have to read the section more closely, grasshopper2 ...:-)
post #43 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some screen captures of the settings after pressing the standard button to achieve the surround modes. As you can see I am still getting two channel. I also tried switching A and B speakers with no luck. DSC_0041.jpg 183k .jpg file DSC_0040.jpg 180k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0041.jpg (183.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0040.jpg (180.1 KB, 22 views)

Up and Running
post #44 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Once again, those pictures mean the input from the source is stereo PCM. The input is stereo PCM and the surround mode is PLIIx. The problem is either at the source or with a setting that allows the receiving device to force the source to send stereo. Have you tried disconnecting the HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV?
post #45 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

The source in this case is a Time Warner DVR which is connected to the TV with a component video cable (not HDMI) and the audio is a fiber optic cable.

Up and Running
post #46 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Once again, those pictures mean the input from the source is stereo PCM. The input is stereo PCM and the surround mode is PLIIx. The problem is either at the source or with a setting that allows the receiving device to force the source to send stereo. Have you tried disconnecting the HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV?

you beat me to it! wink.gif

mkiedrowski, those lights are input indicators, not audio output. for example, a stereo CD will indicate PCM, add PLIIx to it and the L/R indicators will still be all that's lit up. I just tried this on my own SC-68. sorry, but you're misinterpreting what they indicate. just because the lights say 2 ch doesn't mean it's outputting stereo. you add PLIIx Music to a CD and the L/R lights will be all this lit but you will have complete 5.1, 7.1, or 9.1 audio depending on which mode you selected.

for 5.1 input, the L/R/C/RS/LS/LFE lights will be lit up.

your problem was 2 fold:

1. you were in Stereo mode, so it didn't matter what the input was, all were getting was mixdowned 2 ch. that was your main problem, so you made a lot of progress by taking it off Stereo.

2. misinterpreting what the channel indicator lights really mean.

Unless your receiver suddenly developed a defect, which I highly doubt, IF you hadn't accidentally hit the Standard button and put the receiver into Stereo mode, you would have gotten 5.1 and 7.1 from your discs. if a cable channel was broadcasting in 5.1, then you would have gotten that, too. but if the cable channel is only Dolby Digital 2 channel, that's all you'll get, unless you add PLIIx, Neo, or THX processing.

again, unless your receiver is defective, all this was is a setting issue and you should learn what the various surround modes and buttons do.

let us know if BI and I are right and you are getting surround sound from a 5.1 encoded disc.

you should have solved the stereo only issue by taking it out of Stereo mode. and the rest is learning what the lights mean.

finally, unless you have a 2nd room or 2nd set of speakers setup as B speakers, don't select A+B, just A. as the manual says, by selecting AB, it will do eliminate the rear channels on 7.1 sources.

the best advice I can give you is read the manual. if you had, then you would have known it was saying Stereo on the display because it was in Stereo mixdown format and a button click or 2 would have taken care of it.

Steve
post #47 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The source in this case is a Time Warner DVR which is connected to the TV with a component video cable (not HDMI) and the audio is a fiber optic cable.

irrelevant what the connection or cable is. instead of adding even more confusion, read what we are telling you!

read BI and my posts and look at the pages I clipped from the manual plus page 14 on the display.

from page 14, #2 Program Format Indicators:

"Light to indicate the channels to which digital signals are being input."

IOW, if you are playing a stereo source, only the L/R will be lit, even though you can create a surround field by adding PLIIx, etc. the lights will stay the same unchanged because the input hasn't changed. the other channels are created by the processing with 2 ch sources.

you are confusing yourself with all this misc stuff that has nothing to do with why you saw Stereo on the display. it's possible your receiver developed a problem but I doubt it. its sound format settings and you understanding what the display means.

basically, you should have fixed the problem by selecting a Standard mode other than Stereo. the rest is ignoring the lights and see if you get surround sound wink.gif in Direct, Optimum and ALC modes, you will get 5.1 from 5.1, 7.1 from 7.1. only PLIIx, Neo X and THX create 7.1 from 2 or 5.1 ch sources.

confusing? reading the manual should help you understand what you're doing and looking at.

Steve
post #48 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

And you are playing a program with a DD 5.1 track? It doesn't matter that the DVR is set to Dolby Digital if the program itself is only stereo.

Beyond that, as there is no setting on a receiver that can change a DD 5.1 input to a stereo PCM input, it sounds like your receiver may be defective. Try resetting it again. If that doesn't work, contact Pioneer support.

ss9001, there is a bit of relevance to the optical connection from the DVR. With HDMI, the receiving device can force the transmitting device to change the output format. That can't be done with optical. So, if his DVR is actually sending DD 5.1 and the AVR reports receiving stereo PCM, that suggests a problem with the receiver, a problem that can't be fixed with any AVR settings.
post #49 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I believe you are right, there is a problem with the receiver. In the past I have always seen the L/R/C/RS/LS/LFE lights and now just the Land R.

Up and Running
post #50 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

^
well, you know best. All I can do is report to you exactly how my own SC-68 behaves which is exactly what your latest photo shows and there's nothing wrong with mine, I assure you. it plays all surround formats and when I apply surround processing to 2 ch's, the L/R lights are the only ones lit but I have full surround sound.

take it to an auth. service center and let them check it out.

Steve
post #51 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

ss9001, there is a bit of relevance to the optical connection from the DVR. With HDMI, the receiving device can force the transmitting device to change the output format. That can't be done with optical. So, if his DVR is actually sending DD 5.1 and the AVR reports receiving stereo PCM, that suggests a problem with the receiver, a problem that can't be fixed with any AVR settings.

OK, you may be right. a trip to a repair shop will confirm if there's a problem. based on his photos and his posts, I thought the most likely reason was his settings, since he did have it in Stereo mode and was able to change it to surround by using the remote as I suggested.

I don't have anymore information to add to this thread, so I'll hope that he doesn't need a repair.

Steve
post #52 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

As far as the blu-ray player is concerned, that is connected with HDMI. The image that I have attached indicates and or confirms that a two channel audio is being sent to my AVR from the blu-ray which is supposed to be a 7.1 mix. Do you agree? Blu-raydisk.jpg 134k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blu-raydisk.jpg (133.8 KB, 13 views)

Up and Running
post #53 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it shows a stereo output. But, as I noted earlier, that's a picture of a menu, which probably only has a stereo soundtrack. You need to see what the player reports about the audio output when playing the movie, not on the menu.
post #54 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as the blu-ray player is concerned, that is connected with HDMI. The image that I have attached indicates and or confirms that a two channel audio is being sent to my AVR from the blu-ray which is supposed to be a 7.1 mix. Do you agree? Blu-raydisk.jpg 134k .jpg file

while it seems to look odd, it can be explained.

what your photo is showing is that when you are in the disc audio menu, all the player is outputting is 2 ch PCM for that disc. once you select TrueHD in the disc menu and exit the disc menu, the player audio selections will now display what you picked. my own Oppo 93 does the same thing on a DTS-MA disc...I know because I just sat down to watch a movie & checked this out smile.gif I'm willing to bet that once you start watching an episode, if you check the audio selections, you may have more than one, and the selected one will be Dolby TrueHD.

but if you still see only 1/1 LPCM 2 ch displayed, then do these things:

check the player setup menu, audio setup. make sure 1) player is set for HDMI bitstream or auto, 2) optical - make sure it's also set to bitstream...even though you are connected with HDMI, having optical set to LPCM could force a downmix to 2 ch audio...3)make sure you have Secondary Audio off...according to the player menu, having Secondary Audio on results in bitstream & hi-rez audio not being available...4) in the video settings, make sure you are connected with and also have HDMI 1 selected as the primary video output. at least in the BDP-93, IIRC, selecting HDMI 2 as the primary video output resulted in the player sending downmixed 2 channel PCM in the other HDMI or forced one of them to downmix. there is some vague reference in the manual but I think I found this out the hard way or reading the Oppo player wiki. if you have a newer player, then some of this may not apply but at least it's something to check.

and with the player set to bitstream, and 7.1 True HD selected, you should actually hear 7.1, providing you don't have the receiver displaying "Stereo" in the main display, which we've discussed is one of the Standard surround options. having the receiver in Direct or matrix modes, PLIIx/z, NeoX, should result in 7.1 sound. the main receiver display should read TrueHD or the surround processing you selected (hopefully, you don't keep using Stereo). if it does say Stereo, that is not an indication of the player sending stereo but the receiver set to downmix to stereo.

I still think you are misinterpreting these displays but you should rule out receiver surround settings and player setup before taking the receiver to a repair shop. you are the Oppo display anyway....having only 2 ch when you are in the disc menu is not unusual, it would be that or plain-jane Dolby Digital. you won't see the hi-rez audio selected until you exit the disc menu and start the movie.

Steve
post #55 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Guess what? Things are back to normal and working correctly. I am going to send some images of the new readings. I just wanted to say thank you for your help. Have a good new. AVR-Blu-rayPlayer.jpg 143k .jpg file AVR-CableBox.jpg 150k .jpg file Blu-rayAudioSetUp.jpg 205k .jpg file Blu-rayInfo.jpg 135k .jpg file Blu-rayPlayerAudioSetting.jpg 188k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AVR-Blu-rayPlayer.jpg (142.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg AVR-CableBox.jpg (150.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Blu-rayAudioSetUp.jpg (204.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Blu-rayInfo.jpg (134.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Blu-rayPlayerAudioSetting.jpg (187.8 KB, 11 views)

Up and Running
post #56 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

So, what did you do?
post #57 of 59 Old 01-01-2014, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I am not entirely sure. I confirmed my settings within the devices, unplugged and reconnected the audio cables and restarted the units. Not really a whole lot different from what I had been doing for the past several day.

Up and Running
post #58 of 59 Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

whatever you did, glad you got it working smile.gif hopefully, some of our suggestions helped.

Steve
post #59 of 59 Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

There is one thing that I did with the OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player and the Time Warner DVR audio settings and that is I deliberately made the audio settings wrong and then switched them back to the settings that you were referring to above thinking that might get the receiver to rethink the incoming audio feed. When I first got the SC-61 I had problems with the HDMI handshake. We do not want to get into that discussion. At least it works now. Again, thanks for all the inputs from everyone. Have a good year.

Up and Running
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page