Onkyo NR-626 Receiver - "Check Speaker Wire" Message - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I purchased an Onkyo NR-626 receiver primarily for its phono input, which seems to be a rarity these days. After painstakingly hooking it up to my 5.1 speakers, when I turned it on, it displayed "Check Sp Wire" and automatically shut down. This surprised me, as my current receiver from 1990 had no issue with wiring issues at all.

So I checked all speaker connections, which looked fine, but I hooked them up again just in case. Same result.

I replaced the old wires with brand new ones and made sure there were no kinks, etc. Same result.

Any ideas? I'm about ready to send it back to Amazon.

Also, any suggestions on other 5.1 / 7.1 receivers with a Phono input that aren't hugely expensive?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-31-2013, 06:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8433 Post(s)
Liked: 3797
You may be better served simply purchasing a phono pre-amp (<$50) and then you don't need it built in to the AVR. Also try disconnecting all speakers and see if you get the same error message. If not, connect one speaker at a time until you find the defective speaker.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Also verify that there are no thin, almost invisible strands of wire from one speaker terminal touching an adjacent one, on the receiver or the speakers. Run your finger or a piece of paper between them, if you can.

If there's no such short, then you do need to return the receiver. One or more of its internal amplifiers is defective.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #4 of 10 Old 12-31-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I will try these tonight.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought one today and it was the same story except that the first thing I did before anything was plugging it in to see if it worked. I guess its back to Fry's for me...
post #6 of 10 Old 02-27-2016, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm having this same problem and have some additional questions.

Long story short. Watching Netflix one day and the receiver shuts off and won't come back on. I send it off for warranty repairs and service ticket says check center speaker wire and speaker. So I check them all. Even barrow a volt meter to check the ohm level. Nothing seems out of whack. I've been running this same setup for about 14 months now with no problems or changes to the system.

Hook everything back up and run audyssey. Twice when it was testing the front right speaker it shut off and gave me the error check speaker wire on the display.

So obviously there is still a problem in the wire/speaker somewhere.

Can I deduce that since when running audyssey it shut off twice while testing the front right speaker that's where my problem lies? I checked all connections before I powered it back up.

Also when testing the ohm level of an 8 ohm speaker should it read exactly 8 or + or - a little? If + or -, how much is OK?

Just an FYI I have speakers in the ceiling running to a wall plate and then to the receiver with banana plugs on both ends.

Any help/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-28-2016, 06:43 AM

Ya Never mind... Newbie is correct.

I went back this AM to start doing some trouble shooting and the front right speaker wire going into the banana plug at the receiver had way to much wire hanging out. Trimmed it up and all is well.

I'm thinking what happened is that since the front right connection is next to the center connection it shorted out the center channel.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-28-2016, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_V View Post
Also when testing the ohm level of an 8 ohm speaker should it read exactly 8 or + or - a little? If + or -, how much is OK?
It's great that you managed to locate the problem without help.

The DC resistance of a speaker (which is what you measure with an Ohm meter) has very little relationship to its AC impedance. It's the latter which matters, and it varies with frequency. Many professional speaker reviews include a plot of a speaker's impedance at various frequencies. Many of the speaker reviews done by Stereophile show this measurement. See, for example, the review at http://www.stereophile.com/content/w...r-measurements

Selden

post #9 of 10 Old 03-02-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
It's great that you managed to locate the problem without help.

The DC resistance of a speaker (which is what you measure with an Ohm meter) has very little relationship to its AC impedance. It's the latter which matters, and it varies with frequency. Many professional speaker reviews include a plot of a speaker's impedance at various frequencies. Many of the speaker reviews done by Stereophile show this measurement. See, for example, the review at http://www.stereophile.com/content/w...r-measurements
Please forgive me, but I don't understand most of what you said or what the linked article says. If you will, keep it simple for me.

Say one unhooks a speaker from a receiver and measures the ohm level of that speaker just sitting there. Should it be 8 (assuming it's an 8 ohm speaker) exactly? Or +- a little? If +-, how much +-?

Thanks.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-03-2016, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_V View Post
Please forgive me, but I don't understand most of what you said or what the linked article says. If you will, keep it simple for me.

Say one unhooks a speaker from a receiver and measures the ohm level of that speaker just sitting there. Should it be 8 (assuming it's an 8 ohm speaker) exactly? Or +- a little? If +-, how much +-?

Thanks.
Unfortunately, the DC resistance of a speaker (what you measure with an Ohm meter) is irrelevant and unpredictable without a careful study of the specific crossover designs used in a particular speaker.

"Impedance" (measured in units of Ohms) is the generic term describing how much "push back" you get when a certain amount of current (Amps) flows through a circuit. "Resistance" is the specific term for how much "push back" you get when you apply a constant amount of pressure (Voltage) while pushing current through the circuit. (A constantly flowing current is also called DC, or Direct Current.) Ohm meters use a battery to apply a constant amount of voltage to a circuit and measure the amount of current that results: Resistance = Voltage / Amps

However, in general, and in speakers in particular, impedance varies depending on the frequency (how often, measured in units of Hertz or cycles per second) at which that pressure fluctuates. (Current which flows back and forth at some frequency is called AC or Alternating Current.) To measure impedance, you have to apply a fluctuating voltage (using an oscillator) and see how much fluctuating current flows.

Crossover circuits, for example, are designed using capacitors (which block DC but pass AC, passing current flowing at higher frequencies better than they do current flowing at lower frequencies), inductors (also called chokes, which pass DC and lower frequencies better than they do higher frequencies) and resistors (which pass a constant amount of current no matter what the frequency). The coils of wire forming the electromagnet of a speaker driver also are an inductor. As a result, a speaker's resistance varies depending on the frequency of the voltage applied to it. In general, speakers let lower frequencies through more easily than they do higher frequencies. This is why bass speakers use more power than tweeters, but that's a gross oversimplification.

The graph in the speaker review that I linked to shows exactly how the impedance of that particular speaker design varies as the frequency of the applied voltage changes. It's very complicated and almost unpredictable if you don't know the exact design of the speaker.

Selden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread

taboola here