Best receiver for my Klipsch speakers, for movies and music - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-31-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey,

I am upgrading my home entertainment. I have started with my speakers. I am going with all Klipsch.

RC-62 II 2 way center speaker
RF-82 II floor speakers
RSVP-41 II surround speakers (2)
SW-112 12" 300 watt sub woofer

I now want to match the best possible receiver to these. There is so much information available that I am having a hard time deciding what is best for me. I want a receiver that will be both good for music and movies. I want it to be able to play iTunes and pandora from my iPad wirelessly. I want it to be as future proof as possible.

My room is 12 x 24 with 8 ft ceilings and I will run 5.1 for movies/tv and 2.1 for music. I also have and adjoining outside porch that I eventually would like to run two speakers to.

I will be buying my receiver through a company rewards site that actually has a very good selection of Yamaha, Onkyo, Harmon, Pioneer and Marantz. They offer a good variety of levels of these brands and I am probably looking for a mid level model from one of these brands.

I would love any advice for the best possible receiver model for both music and movies to match the speakers I have chosen. Thank you so much for any advice as I am somewhat new to this since it is been 12 years since the last time I upgraded my sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-31-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Did the sub come with the package? If not I would seriously consider something better. If it did, well, it's better than nothing. Whatever AVR you get I would set the crossover to no more than 60hz and maybe 40hz with that sub. Your speakers have quite a bit of bass on their own.

Anyway, to your question- Klipsch are easy to drive, I use a 45 watt AVR and it's more than enough. Get the AVR that has the features you like the best. They all pretty much sound the same. The only thing that makes them sound different is the version of automatic room correction software they use.

Many people like the room correction and some don't. Most here on this forum seem to prefer AVRs that have some form of Audessey.

Again, get the one with the features you want, whether that be a specific brand of room correction or built in wifi or BT. Power rating should be the least of your concerns when choosing an AVR.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 5 Old 12-31-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.
What don't you like about that sub woofer? Everything I've read has been positive. What do like better in that price range?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
This one is better.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

And this one.

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/SB12-NSD#.UsOcJPRDt8E or

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB-1000#.UsOcdfRDt8E

As for a receiver give a look at the Marantz 5008 or maybe a Yamaha Aventage 2020. Nad has a very good AVR in the T758. Just a few models that may suit your needs. There is also the Denons X3000 or X4000.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-01-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I will look into those subs. Still surprised that the Klipsch sub is not liked here. Do you like the Klipsch speakers?

All of the receivers you mentioned with the exception of the Nad are available to me through my website rewards. I had the Yamaha Aventage 2020 and Denon x3000 on my finalist list and will look more closely at that Marantz 5008. I am hoping to locally to listen to these models this week.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page