Denon 1333 How to tell if its using Audessy or Manual settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was not satisfied with the audyssey sound cross over settings. So I picked manual mode and set cross overs and -DB values for each speaker.

I can look at settings for both the manual and the audyssey as they are in two different menu locations.

What I don't know is which settings its using. There does not seem to be a way to tell.

Anyone know how to force manual mode settings?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Auto is what is set after running Audyssey while Manual is the current settings that you may have manually changed and what is currently being used. In both instances Audyssey is being used.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand.

Once I set manual mode (there is not an option to save it, you just exit the menu)

On audyssey calibration it does have an option to save which I did. Then I went to manual mode and change all the cross overs. When I go and check the audysessy settings they are still ie. 150 cross over while the manual settings are at 120hz. So two different settings are store one for manual and one for the audyessy mic/calibration. So why is it not using the audyessy settings?

I guess I want some verification on the reciever as to what settings are being played through the speakers.

I did a sound meter and the audyssey set a lower output speaker to -5.5Db and the louder front left to -2.5. Opposite of what it should have done. So it reduced output of the front right which was already lower than the front left. It does not seem to be as accurate as a sound meter.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
When you are in manual mode the Audyssey setting aren't being used. As for saving settings it does that automatically in manual setup. I have the 1713 in my bedroom setup. If you think your Audyssey settings are screwy try mine. I have a 2.1 setup - it set the right speaker to -10 and the left one to +2. Needless to say I use manual settings since Audyssey seems to be poorly executed in the lower Denon lineup. I should have bought that Yamaha V473.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 04:03 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJOD View Post

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand.

Once I set manual mode (there is not an option to save it, you just exit the menu)

On audyssey calibration it does have an option to save which I did. Then I went to manual mode and change all the cross overs. When I go and check the audysessy settings they are still ie. 150 cross over while the manual settings are at 120hz. So two different settings are store one for manual and one for the audyessy mic/calibration. So why is it not using the audyessy settings?

I guess I want some verification on the reciever as to what settings are being played through the speakers.

I did a sound meter and the audyssey set a lower output speaker to -5.5Db and the louder front left to -2.5. Opposite of what it should have done. So it reduced output of the front right which was already lower than the front left. It does not seem to be as accurate as a sound meter.

When you run Audyssey under "AUTO SETUP" the settings are then saved so that you can restore them if you have made any manual changes in MANUAL SETUP and decide you want to restore to the original AUTO SETUP setting. As I said, in both cases, Audyssey is being used. Once you make any changes in the MANUAL SETUP settings, they then become the current active Audyssey settings. The Audyssey mic is likely more accurate then your SPL meter.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #6 of 12 Old 01-01-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks so i am using manual now good to know.

Analog sound meters do not lie when comparing speaker balance. You can A/B switch from r and left speaker and see the needle bounce. It will move more the louder the source. Very accurate and intuitive.

As for volume level matching a sound meter will be better. What a sound meter cant do is pick the proper cross over. That is not its job.

I ran audyssey and it set my cross overs from 130 to 200 all with same speakers room and mic. So i really do not trust it.

When u say its all still audyssey , what does that mean? I turned off all the sound manipulation features. Is audessy more than just a speaker set up program?
post #7 of 12 Old 01-02-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJOD View Post

When u say its all still audyssey , what does that mean? I turned off all the sound manipulation features. Is audessy more than just a speaker set up program?

Much more.

As I understand it:

Audyssey, and its founder, Chris K., encourage users to reset crossovers to 80 Hz providing Audyssey hasn't measured your speakers' 3 dB down point as being above 80 Hz. . If Audyssey measures the speakers' lower smooth limit at, say, 40 Hz, Audyssey urges you to manually reset the crossover to 80, but if the lower smooth limit is, say, 100, the correct setting would be 100.

Don't you wish the equipment manuals were better?smile.gif

See "Ask Audyssey" online, and Keith's Audyssey FAQ (link found under his posts on this forum).

Be sure you are using all recommended microphone positions and using a tripod or a mic stand and boom to put the mic in the correct place for all measures.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-02-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I just don't get how it picked 3 different cross over settings on three different tests in the same positions. Makes me think the software is buggy or something.

I can see it picking 120, 120, 120. But 100, 130 then 200 all for the same speakers is crazy and not to be trusted.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-02-2014, 03:45 PM
585-645-1006

Are you using a camera tripod as indicated in the Owner's manual, or better yet a mic boom stand? Otherwise, if not, inaccurate readings are to be expected.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Are you using a camera tripod as indicated in the Owner's manual, or better yet a mic boom stand? Otherwise, if not, inaccurate readings are to be expected.

Of course its on a tripod.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-03-2014, 05:16 AM
585-645-1006

Identical speakers in different positions may produce different results. Also, a difference of just a few inches of the mic can produce different results.

post #12 of 12 Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

If you have speakers that can easily do 80 and it sets them to 200 in the same position then on a repete run through it sets them to 80 then on third it sets to 120. Hmmm and a sound meter shows no varience on output in the three tests what is one to think?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page