Need help finding a ~$500 receiver with pre outs to replace rx-v661. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-01-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I recently grabbed a 60" vt Panasonic plasma, however my Yamaha v661 cannot pass 3d over hdmi. In researching new receivers I've noticed that pre outs are far less common.

Currently my Yamaha is paired with an emotiva xpa amp, driving a 5.1 system with RS-1000 rockets from the now defunct av123. My source is usually a PS3, which I understand can play 3d blurays. Since I would like to continue using my amp, and do not want to pass audio via optical, I'm looking for a new receiver.

Audio quality is the most important characteristic for me, both for watching movies and listening to music in stereo. Other aspects of build quality like longevity, ease of use/setup, and even proper hdmi handshakes are also important. I realize room EQ via audessey and other similar brands can help with sound quality, however I am uncertain about the pros and cons, especially after reading the recent thread in this subforum.

I have been looking at models from Denon and Marantz, and the pricing on refurbished models appears to fit my budget. However I have also been very overwhelmed in my shopping. There are so many different features, and often the next model is only $50 or $100 more. I'm less certain of what I get in sound quality by spending more. I am willing to exceed my $500 target, but value is also significant, and like anyone I love to get a good deal.

Finally, there isn't a huge rush to replace my rx-v661, since I can still send video straight to the tv and pass audio via optical back to the receiver, although as I said above, this isn't ideal. My biggest motivation to upgrade is to see a significant increase in sound quality over my current Yamaha. So what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-01-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
If you don't mind buying a refurb there's the Marantz SR 5007 that has what you need. Otherwise it may be tough to find something new in your price range with pre-outs.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5007/MARANTZ-SR5007-100w-x7-NetworkingTheater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-4K/1.html
post #3 of 6 Old 01-01-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
If you like Yamaha why change? The HTR-7065 has a full set of preamp outs and can be had for $449-499 - wait a day or two and the price will change. I had one for several months but one of my nephews managed to talk me out of it. I went and got another Yamaha - the RX-V3900. Both units are very good. Its my second Yamaha - it won't be my last.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

I'm torn of whether or not to invest in room correction. Most of the favorable reviews of Audyssey seem to be of the xt32, compared to their lesser lines. I'm not opposed to spending the extra $300-$400 to get a better AVR, especially once new models come out, and prices drop on 2013 models. The Denon x4000 seems to be the most affordable, excluding onkyo's. I am just very shaky on the build quality of the onkyo's, perhaps it mostly comes from the issues they had with their lower end models. It also seems like onkyo has been excluding the sub eq typically paired with xt32 by other manufacturers.

The only other thing I am shaky on with sub EQ is how it works with the independent crossover dials on my primary sub, and the subs built into the RS-1000 L/R mains. I am assuming one sets a crossover/phase setting they feel to be optimal, and then go from there with EQ, or turn the crossover all the way up, and let the sub EQ trim the crossover (this assumes that crossover is one of the things being corrected by the EQ?). Regardless, sub EQ of any form sounds like something I definitely want.

Regardless, it's not a small difference for me to go from $400-$500 for a HTR to $850+ for a model like the x4000, but I am thinking it may be worth it. I am not sure how much lower the prices will go when 2014 models hit, or when these models are usually available into the new year. I will be moving into an apartment (thankfully with my own floor and thick walls) shortly, and this makes dynamic volume EQ very attractive as well, which people seem to have good things to say about.

Beyond that, it really comes down to quality of build, and how long a unit will last. One of my concern with Marantz units, is that they appear to run relatively hot, although I am not sure how much of an issue this would be since I am using a separate amplifier. However a Marantz unit with XT32 costs significantly more than a Denon on average.

Should I be considering other units as well? Is the EQ really worth it? I've come to the conclusion that if I'm going to buy into the EQ at all, it should be the xt32.

Are there likely to be major feature changes with the 2014 models? Are the prices likely to be driven down much lower than they are now? (I noticed a4less mentions low stock on their x4000). Once I have decided on a receiver I may get in touch with jdsmoothie, who seems to be highly recommended.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-02-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Once I have decided on a receiver I may get in touch with jdsmoothie, who seems to be highly recommended.

Get in touch with him now. He can answer your questions much better than I can and give recommendations as to what you need. You may be surprised as to what brands and models he would suggest. As for the price he can quote you that may be another surprise. The AVS Store sells the brands you are considering. Good luck.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like a good idea. I think a big part of the decision will involve pricing and new models, which are best asked of someone like jdsmoothie. This is especially true given that I'm looking to purchase a receiver in the coming months, rather than in the next few days.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V661bl 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Htr 7065 , Yamaha Rx V3900bl Receiver , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V661bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page