Need Help 2.1 AMP/Receiver with HDMI "ARC" Output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Like always when you upgrade to a new TV Nothing you have will work anymore.  The old setup was nothing fancy but it served its purpose.  I had a Pyle (Mini 2x75W Stereo Power Amplifier - PCA3) that powered 2 Boston Acoustic satellite speakers that are mounted on both sides of my bed's headboard.  The reason for this was so the volume does not have to be so loud thereby, bothering other people with loud explosions and stuff when watching a movie in the bedroom. 

Now I have up graded my TV to a LG Smart TV (47LM6700) with SimpleLink (which is LG’d version of CEC) and the only outputs are the HDMI (ARC) and the digital audio out, nothing else so my Plye audio amp will not work anymore. What I’m looking for is an amp/receiver that will work just like my old one, preferably not one that is the size of a house.

I don't want to change anything I just want to replace the amp with something that will work. I have been looking and researching this for about six months but have found nothing like I need; so now I am turning to the experts.  All I have found is people talking about 5.1, 7.1/2 and 9.1 receivers.  Which are great but I don't want “more sound”. Unless I can make them work with only 2 satellite speakers.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful and in your debt.

iveywt :D 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 06:04 AM

Liked: 13
You are thinking about it in the wrong way. Just because all you have is a 2.1 system does not mean you will find a 2.1 A/V receiver. They do not exist as far as I know. You can get tons of used 5.1 receivers that have ARC on Ebay or shopgoodwill.com. Should be able to get one for $100 or less. Just hook-up your 2.1 speakers to it and forget about the other speaker connections. You are not wasting $$ cause you will only power those outputs that are connected, so it behaves like a 2.1 amp anyway.

Nate
post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 AM

Liked: 13
There is a cure for your speaker placement also... which is totally reverse as far as psychoacoustics is concerned. It is called a set of headphones or a volume control. I just can't imagine trying to listen to dialogue coming from behind me... it is like turning your desk around in class and trying to pay attention to the teacher - not normal for the mind/ears to comprehend.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
It would seem an optical --> analog converter would be the easiest and most cost effective solution ....

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

After some thought and searches based on some of your inputs I have decided to go with a HDMI to HDMI + Audio Extractor it seems like it is perfect for what I need and I won’t have to change anything.  Thank you to everyone who provided help I don’t think I could have found this with a direction to start.

Iveywt

This is the one I went with

J-Tech Digital Premium Quality Hdmi To Hdmi + Audio (Spdif + 3.5Mm Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter 

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page