MY ONKYO TX NR818 is OVERHEATING!!!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-05-2014, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

~~I NEED HELP! I think that my Receiver May Be overheating. ive had this receiver for about 1 month and it is just starting to smell while I use it now. I noticed that the receiver will tick at random times while I am using it but the sound never cuts off while it makes the Ticking sound. Don't know what its doing. I have the receiver on the floor of my room with NOTHING on top so it has plenty of air to vent. But its started to smell just recently and when I touch it, it is Very Hot to the touch. I usually use this Bad boy at 78 to 85 decibels. I do a lot of Gaming and Movies on it. The reason why I started this thread is because now ive noticed that when I use the Audyssey calibration feature, It sets my level calibration too high on my speakers. For example, when I first calibrated a month ago when I got the receiver, it gave me -2.5 for front R and L and -6.5 for Center and -2.0 for Rear R and L and -6.5 for Subwoofer. I have not changed anything in my room and I have not moved any furniture at all. Now when I Calibrate I get +3.5 for Front R and L -1.0 for Center +3.5 for Rear R and L and -7.0 for Subwoofer. Mind you I have not touched any volume controls on my Subwoofer at all. this is worrying me. its like my receiver is not calibrating correctly anymore and it is overheating and starting to smell a lot! what can I do? Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Blanco View Post

~~I NEED HELP! I think that my Receiver May Be overheating. ive had this receiver for about 1 month and it is just starting to smell while I use it now. I noticed that the receiver will tick at random times while I am using it but the sound never cuts off while it makes the Ticking sound. Don't know what its doing. I have the receiver on the floor of my room with NOTHING on top so it has plenty of air to vent. But its started to smell just recently and when I touch it, it is Very Hot to the touch. I usually use this Bad boy at 78 to 85 decibels. I do a lot of Gaming and Movies on it. The reason why I started this thread is because now ive noticed that when I use the Audyssey calibration feature, It sets my level calibration too high on my speakers. For example, when I first calibrated a month ago when I got the receiver, it gave me -2.5 for front R and L and -6.5 for Center and -2.0 for Rear R and L and -6.5 for Subwoofer. I have not changed anything in my room and I have not moved any furniture at all. Now when I Calibrate I get +3.5 for Front R and L -1.0 for Center +3.5 for Rear R and L and -7.0 for Subwoofer. Mind you I have not touched any volume controls on my Subwoofer at all. this is worrying me. its like my receiver is not calibrating correctly anymore and it is overheating and starting to smell a lot! what can I do? Is this normal?

It is not normal. Start by disconnecting the speakers to see if the problem persists. If the amps overheat there is an internal problem. If not there is a speaker problem somewhere - anything from an overly reactive load to a wire strand shorting out. Reconnect the speakers carefully and try again.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

It is not normal. Start by disconnecting the speakers to see if the problem persists. If the amps overheat there is an internal problem. If not there is a speaker problem somewhere - anything from an overly reactive load to a wire strand shorting out. Reconnect the speakers carefully and try again.

okay I did all that.

how do I get the Fans to turn on?   Should they turn on immediately?  or are the activated by a temperature sensor?

post #4 of 4 Old 01-06-2014, 05:13 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Blanco View Post

okay I did all that.
how do I get the Fans to turn on?   Should they turn on immediately?  or are the activated by a temperature sensor?

They are activated by a temperature sensor. Assuming they are operating correctly they won't come on until and unless there is a problem.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page