Denon 3808ci HDMI In Problem (Sound works No Video) - Please Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched the forum but can't find the exact same issue anywhere--so I'll start this thread. I purchased new the 3808ci back in 2007 and have it in a cabinet with proper air flow. My setup is as follows:

Pioneer 60" Plasma HDTV (kinda craving a new TV--but the picture is still perfect and works great--knock on wood)
Denon AVR 3808ci as main unit (connected to TV via HDMI)
DirecTV HR 24 (connected to Denon via component cables)
LG BluRay (connected to Denon via component cables)

I wanted to connect a Roku player or Apple TV so I can stream apps...so I figured I'd connect via the HDMI cable. It didn't work. Only got sound and no video to show on the display. Tried moving the BluRay player to the HDMI and same result. I toggled the settings on the AVR but to success. The fact that the sound is heard tells me that the HDMI is working in some way/shape/form--and that I cannot get a video to show is where I have hit the wall.

Any thoughts? I'm a novice to electronics, but very tech savvy...but am just missing finding the answer. I certainly hope the HDMI ports aren't broken.

BTW--I haven't updated the firmware so maybe that is a thought--just was too scared to recalibrate the unit myself (a professional did it for me back in 2007 and I don't want to screw it up).
THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 AM

Liked: 12
Do a receiver reset.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Is there any way to save the settings or find them so I can write them down? Also, will updating the firmware reset the system during the process too? How difficult is it to setup with a 5.1 and Audyssey? I'm a total newbie with AV equipment. Lastly, since I only have 2 items connected to this are there any quality $300-$600 units that can do what this unit does for home theater? Just need HDMI for DirecTV and BluRay. Thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
You can use the Web Control feature on the 3808CI to SAVE the config.dat file to a PC. This file would also include the Audyssey settings, however, as you had the unit professionally calibrated, the calibrator set Audyssey to OFF so the only thing that would be saved are the personal settings you have made. Resetting the microprocessor will restore all settings to factory defaults including wiping out what the calibrator did, however, running the Audyssey setup is fairly easy if you use a mic boom stand or camera tripod as discussed in the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked below. Prior to doing a reset, however, I suggest simply unplugging the unit for 10 minutes (aka "soft reset") which shouldn't reset any settings in the process. On the BDP, if there is a "Deep Color Output" setting, set it to OFF.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51700_100#post_21782993

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page