Need help with a AV receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I think I've narrowed my search down between 2 units.

I found a decent deal on a Onkyo TX-NR828 and a Marantz SR5008.

I wish I could get the SR6008, but I have a credit with BestBuy and they don't offer the 6008 ATM.

The Onkyo has more features, but I have concerns with the HDMI failures I've read about.

Power amps on both appear to be similar but I could be wrong.

I want something that will be as future proof as possible. The 828 is less than $800.00 and the 5008 is $899.00

any thoughts on the 2,

By the way. Inputs to the amp aren't a major concern, I don't have many (3-4 at the most)

and don't use multi zone.

I'm looking for the best sound between the 2 and best features.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 805
To me it is a no brainer. Onkyo has a reputation for poor reliability. The other brands do not. Why take a risk?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
FMW I've heard you state this generalization before. I think your criticism should be directed at the HDMI board overheating problems and how Onkyo handled it. I'm sure you have anecdotal evidence as I do, although mine is actually positive, but it's how a company's products compare with the industry overall that should elicit a blank statement like that. Then Onkyo fares well and better than some that come to mind.

With that said, although my Onkyo TX-NR929 runs way cooler than my Integra prepro, indicating they fixed the overheating problem with the HDMI boards, I still give them a D on this issue. They took too long and handled it poorly. The end result is people with attitudes like yours. Personally I hope they recover from this because the product has. The longer I have my 929 the more I'm convinced I made the right choice over the Denon X4000.

For the OP I hope you know in Onkyo's infinite wisdom the 828 is actually a downgrade from the 818. I mention that because the one feature that is making a well deserved splash is Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. The 818 has it. The only caveat is i'm not sure when they made HDMI board upgrades. Unlike my 929 my other Onkyo products do run hot, although they're both still running fine today.

Patrick
post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

I wish they had the 818, I noticed the downgrade in the Audyssey software to the 828.

To get similar features the 828 has I'd be looking at a Pioneer elite sc71 or the Marantz 6008.

Both are a few hundred more, Not really a big deal but I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck adn it seems the more

I look the harder it becomes to single one unit out over the other.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Just a side note, I just looked at the Onkyo TX-NR1010. I can get a good deal on this unit as well. Less than $1000.00 for it.

Looks like it might be worth the extra $200.00

post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 04:57 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post

FMW I've heard you state this generalization before. I think your criticism should be directed at the HDMI board overheating problems and how Onkyo handled it. I'm sure you have anecdotal evidence as I do, although mine is actually positive, but it's how a company's products compare with the industry overall that should elicit a blank statement like that. Then Onkyo fares well and better than some that come to mind.

The source of the lack of reliability isn't germaine to the issue. I read post after post after post about broken Onkyos and not about the other brands combined. To me that is a problem and I think people should be aware of it. Sorry I gored your ox. I plan to continue doing it.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If the source appears to be one big glaring fault and hardly anything else is mentioned, then it is germane, especially in light of the fact that Onkyo has done something about it. I've mentioned before that my 929 runs 30 to 35 degrees cooler than my Integra prepro. To me it appears Onkyo has fixed the problem but you don't want facts to cloud your attitude.

The Onkyo TX-NR929 thread reads like a bunch of satisfied owners. They were probably all aware of previous issues but gave them a second chance and glad of it. I'm one of them, but I did a lot of homework first.

I'm guessing no amount of positive affirmations would change your negative attitude.

Patrick
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr1010 Network A V Receiver , Marantz Sr5008 , Onkyo Tx Nr828 7 2 Channel Wireless Network A V Receiver , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread - Nr1010 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page