AVR-X1000 intermittent no audio and menus get garbled up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-06-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I have had the AVR-X1000 since September.  For the last couple months, I sometimes have an issue when I turn it on, it will have no audio and all the menus are garbled up against a blue screen (see attached screenshot).  Sometimes I can just unplug the receiver for 10 minutes and plug it back in, but the last couple of times even that didn't work.  I had to reset the microprocessor and restore my configuration, which does fix the issue.  This seems to happen randomly...It might not happen for a few weeks and other times it will happen twice in one week.  It's very annoying.

I'm hesitant to send it back, though it still is still under warranty for fear it won't happen when they have it and Denon will just return it with no trouble found.

Anybody else experience this or have any idea what the problem could be? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
Have you tried replacing the HDMI cables?

Also note there is a dedicated thread just for Denon "X" series owners ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134210

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 12 Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I would send it back ASAP.

If resetting the processor changes it, it has nothing to do with cables.

If they don't get it the first time, at least you have documented the problem while under warranty, which is essential to do.

One thing to consider, though; is there any equipment or appliance anywhere that could be causing a momentary voltage drop and/or noise spikes in your power system (air compressor, for example)?

If you have access to a APC or similar power backup unit, try running it with it connected to that. See if that eliminates the problem.

I use a 1500 VA APC power backup unit for all of my electronic gear, and have never had a single problem or failure in 20 years. There can be nasties on those power lines all the time, and microprocessors tend to be sensitive.

I think it is a good investment (around $200) to protect your gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob331 View Post

I have had the AVR-X1000 since September.  For the last couple months, I sometimes have an issue when I turn it on, it will have no audio and all the menus are garbled up against a blue screen (see attached screenshot).  Sometimes I can just unplug the receiver for 10 minutes and plug it back in, but the last couple of times even that didn't work.  I had to reset the microprocessor and restore my configuration, which does fix the issue.  This seems to happen randomly...It might not happen for a few weeks and other times it will happen twice in one week.  It's very annoying.

I'm hesitant to send it back, though it still is still under warranty for fear it won't happen when they have it and Denon will just return it with no trouble found.

Anybody else experience this or have any idea what the problem could be? 
post #4 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

When the problem first occurred, I figured it was a handshake issue and tried powering sources off, swapping cables, etc. but doing all that didn't make any difference.

I didn't know there was a dedicated thread for my receiver.  Thanks for pointing that out!

post #5 of 12 Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I hadn't considered power, but now that you mention it, I did daisy chain a cheapo power strip off my surge protector.  Not sure why I did that; just lazy I guess.  In the interest of trying something, I plugged the receiver right into the surge protector directly and I'll see if that makes any difference. I don't think I have anything that would cause a momentary voltage drop or noise and I didn't notice a problem for the first couple months I had the receiver, this problem has just become apparent in the last 2 months.  I know I haven't added any appliances in that time.  I'm thinking I will have to send it back; I just wish it would completely fail all the time so I can be sure it can be diagnosed so it can be fixed.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 AM

Liked: 10

Hi, I'm having the same issue.  It's happened twice in the last two days.  It seems to fix itself after a 5 or 10 minutes by turning the receiver off and on again.  I've confirmed my firmware is up to date.  I'll be calling Amazon today to issue an exchange.  I'm really annoyed though since the X1000 is the second receiver I purchased in the last two weeks.  The first was the AVR e400 and the video did not work at all.  

post #7 of 12 Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

I got tired of dealing with it, so I called Denon and they told me to take it to my local repair facility.  They had it for a week and said it just needed a microprocessor reset (which I have done many times and was skeptical). So, I picked it up from the repair center, brought it home and the first time i turned it on, it was messed up.  The local repair guys said they couldn't reproduce the problem at all and told me to turn everything off and unplug for 5 minutes everything that was connected to the receiver.  I tried that and to my surprise, it worked.  So now I'm thinking maybe it's an HDMI handshake issue.  I can usually get it working, but every single morning when I get up I have to power everything off/on, unplug stuff..but I have been able to get it working.  It's really inconvenient...sometimes it may take 20 minutes just to be able to watch tv.  But once I get it working...it will work fine all day and all night...wake up the next morning and it's messed up. I'm trying to isolate the issue to one component or maybe a power on sequence issue. If I figure out a fix, I'll let everybody know.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 PM

We're having the exact same problem.  I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my Apple TV.  The other devices I have connected are a Denon DVD player and a Motorola Verizon cable box, both with standard HDMI cables from Amazon.  The DVD player is off most of the time.  If it's a handshake issue, it's either the cable box or the Apple TV.

post #9 of 12 Old 01-27-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

After another week of  messing with the receiver, I have discovered there is no pattern to make it work.  Every single morning, when I first turn it on, the menus are totally messed up, blue, and there is no audio.  I have discovered, I can get it working without unplugging anything, but I have to turn it off and on, change inputs, turn things off and on in a different order...but there seems to be no pattern.  What works one day to get it working, doesn't work the next.  I'm sure the inputs on the TV are fine and the HDMI cables are also fine, since they worked without issue when connected directly to the TV.  So, for the last few days, I just programmed my Harmony remote to leave the receiver on all the time because after I get it working...it works all day long until the receiver was powered off for the night. Since I stopped powering it off, I haven't had the issue. Not a very elegant solution, but it beats getting a call at work and trying to explain to somebody in the house how to listen to the radio, watch tv, etc. Sometimes it can take 20-30 minutes to get it working!

After I get my Onkyo TX-NX609 back from being repaired, I'm going to insist Denon take this back again for a second time.  I'll send it to their super center, rather than going to a local dealer for repair. 

post #10 of 12 Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 AM

Quick update. I received the new receiver from Amazon, but have not set it up yet. I have been trying to find a pattern for the problem first and thus far it seems to happen only when I am powering on the AppleTV while powering on the receiver.. It happened once this weekend and it was quickly solved by unplugging and plugging in the receiver. I will try to swap this week and see if I can reproduce the issue.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 AM

Swapped the receiver about 10 minutes ago for a new one.  So far no issues.  Did the software update, but have not yet calibrated the audio.

post #12 of 12 Old 01-30-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I hope it works out for you.  I saw another thread where some users were having problems with the OSD when they were changing channels on a DirectTV receiver and the channels were broadcast in different resolutions. The work around was to set the DirectTV receiver to just one resolution, rather than letting the AVR detect it.  Supposedly there will be a firmware release for the AVR-X1000 on Feb 27 to address this issue (and others, I hope).  So maybe that update will make some difference for our issue as well.  I'm still thinking it's a hardware issue though.  You're lucky you could just send it back...I have to convince Denon there is still a problem first.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - X1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page