Issue with Denon AVR-591 passing 3D from HTCP Blu Ray drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Forgive me if I've started this thread in the wrong section - I believe there may be a configuration issue with my receiver so that is why I've posted it here.

I have an HTPC (Windows 7) with an NVidia GT 610 card and a Blu-Ray drive. All software (PowerDVD 12) and drivers are updated and I have run diagnostic software and my system passes for 3D and HDCP compliance. What I am trying to do is feed 3D to my BenQ W1070 projector (1.07 firmware, latest) but I'm not having any luck. I have the following scenarios:

1) HTPC -> AVR 591 -> BenQ W1070. 3D from a Blu Ray does not work. Any 3D SBS files I have downloaded on my HTPC work fine however, only 3D Blu Rays fail.

I thought perhaps that because from my Denon to my BenQ I have a long 1.3B HDMI cable it might not work, so I tried the following:

2) HTPC -> BenQ W1070 via my short "1.4" cable... works!

To ensure that it was the cable, I then tested the following:

3) HTPC -> BenQ W1070 via the long 1.3B cable... works!

So to sum it up... all of my scenarios seem to work until I put the Denon into the mix. I've looked through the on screen setup and wasn't able to find anything related to 3D.

Am I missing something?? This is driving me crazy, and I have been working in IT for over 15 years.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 03:34 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Try adding an HDMI extender.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8120&seq=1&format=2

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Is the reason you are recommending the extender because of the length of my HDMI cable? If so, I'm not sure it will help as I've used that same cable but just bypassing my Denon and it works fine.

Perhaps there is another feature you think would help? Handshaking? Not sure - when I check in Windows it shows my devices are all HDCP compliant and the BD and 3D Advisor software from Cyberlink shows a pass in every section. It's really quite confusing.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-11-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Well I've pretty much given up with this receiver - I have no idea what the issue is but apparently the specific combination I have just does not work. I've tried everything I can think of and I've even reset the processor on the Denon with no luck. My projector doesn't recognize what the Denon is feeding it (the 3d mode doesn't change automatically like when I bypass the amp) so when I choose frame packing the glasses sync up, but if I close one eye the image is cut off at the top and if I close the other eye the image is cut off at the bottom. It just seems like it is not sync'ing up properly. Perhaps I have a defective receiver.

If anyone has any ideas at all (other then buying a new receiver), I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Thom
post #5 of 7 Old 01-11-2014, 08:45 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by otverge View Post

Is the reason you are recommending the extender because of the length of my HDMI cable? If so, I'm not sure it will help as I've used that same cable but just bypassing my Denon and it works fine.

Perhaps there is another feature you think would help? Handshaking? Not sure - when I check in Windows it shows my devices are all HDCP compliant and the BD and 3D Advisor software from Cyberlink shows a pass in every section. It's really quite confusing.

Yes, that is correct as to why I suggested the HDMI extender. When the signal is passed through an HDMI repeater (ie AVR) the strength of the signal can be reduced which is why connecting directly from the source only proves the source is passing a signal correctly.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #6 of 7 Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, that is correct as to why I suggested the HDMI extender. When the signal is passed through an HDMI repeater (ie AVR) the strength of the signal can be reduced which is why connecting directly from the source only proves the source is passing a signal correctly.

Ok, I understand now. I was looking up the long cable I have though which was installed when I built my house, and it is the Sound Acoustics Pro-HDMI 1.3B 35 foot cable, which comes with an integrated signal booster chip according to this PDF. http://mysoundacoustics.com/Images/Brochure/PRO_HDMI_Cables_consumer.pdf They are 24 AWG and seem to be a pretty good cable.

Would you still suggest the extender? I've also sent a message to Denon support to see if they have any ideas.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-12-2014, 04:15 PM
585-645-1006

Try either connecting the PJ to the AVR with a shorter (eg. 6' ) HDMI cable or set the source to 720p instead of 1080p. If either of these works successfully, then an extender would help.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 591 Receiver , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page