Yamaha rxA2020 receiver with Def Techs BP 8060s as front, CS-8040HD as center and SR-8040BP as surrounds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-08-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
raj07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I need a little help calibrating my Yamaha rxA2020 receiver with Def Techs BP 8060s as front, CS-8040HD as center and SR-8040BP as surrounds.

I’ve ran YPAO with multiple positions.

It has setup my front (8060) and center as large and surrounds as small @ 100Hz

 

I am using subwoofer cables to connect LFE out in 8060s to pre-out subwoofer 1 and 2 in receiver.

 

Some of the issues I need help with: 

- I really have to push main volume to -20 and less while watching movies. Even while listening to music I don’t feel speakers are 'opening' up. I don't feel fuller sound at low volumes. Is it the way 8060s are placed in the room?

 

My tone control settings are:

Max volume:  -10DB

Initial volume: ON -54.5

I’ve had this system for more than a month and I’m listening to them almost daily for minimum 1 hr so the break-in factor shouldn’t be the case here.

 

- Also, audio CDs don’t sound that great. I am using a basic Panasonic blue ray player connected to receiver via a HDMI cable. I initially thought sound quality was due to basic player but I am just using that player to send digital signals to Yamaha DAC so quality shouldn’t be that bad..right...any suggestions here?

 

Audio from HD FM Radio, some NET radio stations and FLACs in my ipod sound nice, though.

Although, I have to turn up the volume high to hear those details in music.

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

raj07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Newbie
 
ramsreddy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Check your speaker wiring.
Try using a new HDMI cable and testing.
Then try a different BD player like Sony s5100 and test. (Terminator Salvation is a great BD to test your speaker setup)
if you dont see a difference then.

Def Tech says dont use auto calibration as it might not do the right justice for their bipolar design.
On your Yamaha start manual configuration with direct out option and calibrate the center channel and front towers as Large. I had a problem with center channel volume at low level with Yappo.

adjust the speaker level from the position you are seated to watch the movies generally. ensure that you hear fairly equal volume on the test tone from each channel.

you may tweak the graphic spectrum of the desired channel based on the bass/treble you expect at a later stage. Yappo suppresses/calibrates the frequencies on its own logic.

Also ensure that you have the sub inputs connected to each of the towers and the volume on the towers is at-least 2/3rd.

one tip : I have noticed that the front towers give great filling sound effect when they are facing the viewer ( angled towards the viewer) even at very low volume



Hope this helps.

Thanks
ramsreddy99 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj07 View Post

Hi,



I need a little help calibrating my Yamaha rxA2020 receiver with Def Techs BP 8060s as front, CS-8040HD as center and SR-8040BP as surrounds.



I’ve ran YPAO with multiple positions.



It has setup my front (8060) and center as large and surrounds as small @ 100Hz



 



I am using subwoofer cables to connect LFE out in 8060s to pre-out subwoofer 1 and 2 in receiver.



 



Some of the issues I need help with: 



- I really have to push main volume to -20 and less while watching movies. Even while listening to music I don’t feel speakers are 'opening' up. I don't feel fuller sound at low volumes. Is it the way 8060s are placed in the room?



 



My tone control settings are:



Max volume:  -10DB



Initial volume: ON -54.5



I’ve had this system for more than a month and I’m listening to them almost daily for minimum 1 hr so the break-in factor shouldn’t be the case here.



 



- Also, audio CDs don’t sound that great. I am using a basic Panasonic blue ray player connected to receiver via a HDMI cable. I initially thought sound quality was due to basic player but I am just using that player to send digital signals to Yamaha DAC so quality shouldn’t be that bad..right...any suggestions here?



 



Audio from HD FM Radio, some NET radio stations and FLACs in my ipod sound nice, though.



Although, I have to turn up the volume high to hear those details in music.



 



Any suggestions would be appreciated.



Thanks.

I just sold my Def Tech 2002TL 5.1 spkr pkg., but, although I had them hooked up everyway they could have been hooked up, I ended up using the simple way...just straight spkr wire (no LFE connection), with the gain on the back of the tower set at about half way, or a little more, sometimes, and the left, right, center, and surrounds set to small in the receiver. Crossover at about 80Hz. I was using a separate subwoofer however. I had more headroom than I ever needed. Don't forget that once your towers are placed in the room for good imaging, the woofers inside the towers might not be positioned for the most bass response. So in my previous system, I used the woofers in the towers down to about 80Hz and the separate subwoofer for all below 80HZ. Also the woofers inside your towers are not true subwoofers, they are powered woofers.

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Try setting speakers to small.
kikkenit2 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
raj07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsreddy99 View Post

Check your speaker wiring.
Try using a new HDMI cable and testing.
Then try a different BD player like Sony s5100 and test. (Terminator Salvation is a great BD to test your speaker setup)
if you dont see a difference then.

Def Tech says dont use auto calibration as it might not do the right justice for their bipolar design.
On your Yamaha start manual configuration with direct out option and calibrate the center channel and front towers as Large. I had a problem with center channel volume at low level with Yappo.

adjust the speaker level from the position you are seated to watch the movies generally. ensure that you hear fairly equal volume on the test tone from each channel.

you may tweak the graphic spectrum of the desired channel based on the bass/treble you expect at a later stage. Yappo suppresses/calibrates the frequencies on its own logic.

Also ensure that you have the sub inputs connected to each of the towers and the volume on the towers is at-least 2/3rd.

one tip : I have noticed that the front towers give great filling sound effect when they are facing the viewer ( angled towards the viewer) even at very low volume



Hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks, ramsreddy99

I've connected speakers and receiver with 16 guage speaker wire and they all show connection as 'Normal'. Is this the recommented wire guage for this setup?

raj07 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Newbie
 
ramsreddy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would wait for the wire changes at the moment as you noticed that the system sounds good with Ipod, net player, FM etc.

(Also I would like to bring to your notice that the Movies in general are configured for special effects so you generally have to push the volume a bit up for the normal situations.)


Check with a different HDMI and a different BD player and test your findings. Probably test with the BD Terminator Salvation or 'Oblivion Trailer from Internet'

FYI .. I have used guage 10 for front and 12 for rear's regular wires of RCA 10guage for front and Monster Brand 12guage for rear directly hooked from Receiver into the speakers.
I was told anything like 10 or 12 guage should be fine for these speakers, but before you buy new wires please check the other options I have mentioned above and let us know.

Your amp is 130 W per channel that way more powerful than my Yamaha RXV 673 90W per channel.

I live in an apartment at present. Any volume more than -25 db is bringing in complaints mad.gif.
If you have questions on the positioning of my speakers its a regular home setup (You can check my other posts for the setup pictures.)
Coming to the levels I have on them
Front L and R are at + 1 to +1.5 above the half way(wire length 6 ft)
Center Channel +2.5 above the half way( I also pushed the graphic little up on the higher frequency +16khz to have more clear dialogue ) (wire length 4 ft)
side Surrounds +3 each.above the half way(wire length 30 ft)
rear surrounds +3 each. above the half way(wire length 30 ft)
Subs +6 above the half way(Crossover at 80 hz) (RCA wire length 6ft) (their volume on the tower is at 2/3rd since I like more bass)

Thanks
Ram
jrsova likes this.
ramsreddy99 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 03-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Member
 
nittro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello all I have the 8040 bp as my fronts a pm1000 center and pm1000 as my side and a set of klips as my rear speakers when I set up my system I tryed the yapo set up first and my setting was all over the place for my fronts . My brother said let's try to block off the rear speakers in the 8040 with a piece of paper . So we slid a piece of paper between the sock and blocked off the rear portion and retryed the yapo set up and wow what a difference my receiver is a RX a2020 9.2 Yamaha .my question is why did this make so much difference .
nittro is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittro View Post

Hello all I have the 8040 bp as my fronts a pm1000 center and pm1000 as my side and a set of klips as my rear speakers when I set up my system I tryed the yapo set up first and my setting was all over the place for my fronts . My brother said let's try to block off the rear speakers in the 8040 with a piece of paper . So we slid a piece of paper between the sock and blocked off the rear portion and retryed the yapo set up and wow what a difference my receiver is a RX a2020 9.2 Yamaha .my question is why did this make so much difference .

Forget that.

Hook up your spkrs the simple method, just reg spkr wire, no LFE hook up, and set all spkrs to small in the receiver, and crossovers set at 80hz. Use a separate subwoofer, placed in the right position for max bass response. Your sub will do all frequencies below 80hz, and all other spkrs will do all frequencies above 80hz.. You should have all the head room you need, as long as the room isn't too big. Your Bipolar spkrs are very placement critical, and work best pulled several feet away from the rear wall, out into the room. (that was my experience with Def Tech).

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Definitive Technology Bp8060st Supertower System , Definitive Technology Sr 8040bp Ea Bipolar Surround Speaker
Gear in this thread - 8040bp by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off