Which one: Emotiva UMC-200 vs Onkyo TX-NR818 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All,

Both are available for almost the same price point. Which one would you get?
I don't need the amplifier section just the pre-pro
THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 420
The UMC-200 has no amplifiers, it's just a pre/pro.

the 818 on the other hand has everything you need. wink.gif

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Old 01-08-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
If I had the amp the UMC. Would not purchase anything from Onkyo until they have cured their HDMI board problems. Far too many failures at this time.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 153

Could you document HDMI problems with the 818 and the current line up of Onkyos?  At this time?  I am skeptical of this.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

Could you document HDMI problems with the 818 and the current line up of Onkyos?  At this time?  I am skeptical of this.

Below is just one of many threads with these HDMI failures. The man which started this very site could not recommend Onkyo at this time due to his own 818 HDMI board failure after very little use. There other threads along the same lines and even a very lengthy one on how to do the repairs yourself. These board problems aren't only with new models, they started several years back with their 600 series and are still occurring to this day. I am not an Onkyo hater either. I have two of them. One without a HDMI board (696) and one with(876) and both still work. However IMO Onkyo has a major problem with their HDMI boards and has done nothing to fix it. And besides that their customer service reputation is well known as some of the worst out there.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1455911/onkyo-hdmi-failures
Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

That thread includes Onkyo models from the last 4 years and does not document current models nor the 818 in any meaningful way.  I had wondered if a recall notice had been issued, or the BBB had come down on Onkyo.  

The problem is, what is the failure rate of current models?  How many units sold vs how many units fail?  Do you have any threads like that?   Your opinion may be to warn others off, but without any specific data, it's just another opinion.  I've got one too based on owning 2 trouble free Onkyos for over 4 years, but my opinion only counts for my specific experience.  People who have issues tend to post comments far more than people who've experienced no issues, so it's hard to quantify the failure rate from a thread.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, the UMC can't run speakers so the OP would seem to need an AVR like the Onkyo.  At that price, the 818 is a real steal with the Audyssey 32XT.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 113
+1 on phantom's recommendation to steer clear of Onkyo for the time being. To anyone that has been on this forum for more than a year the problems are well known.

To the OP - I'd stay away from the UMC-200 as well. I've owned both of these units and if I had to choose from the two I'd pick the Onkyo - then sell it asap. In that price range I'd be looking at the Denon X4000 or the Marantz 6008. Or my current favorites - Yamaha. The TOTL 3010 (2010 model) is only $988.
Bill Mac likes this.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

That thread includes Onkyo models from the last 4 years and does not document current models nor the 818 in any meaningful way.  I had wondered if a recall notice had been issued, or the BBB had come down on Onkyo.  

The problem is, what is the failure rate of current models?  How many units sold vs how many units fail?  Do you have any threads like that?   Your opinion may be to warn others off, but without any specific data, it's just another opinion.  I've got one too based on owning 2 trouble free Onkyos for over 4 years, but my opinion only counts for my specific experience.  People who have issues tend to post comments far more than people who've experienced no issues, so it's hard to quantify the failure rate from a thread.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, the UMC can't run speakers so the OP would seem to need an AVR like the Onkyo.  At that price, the 818 is a real steal with the Audyssey 32XT.

Really. Ralph Potts stated in that thread his 818 failed in a very short time with very limited use. As for the comment on people that tend to post here and other places with only problems that's just plain silly. How many people buy these AVR's(any brand) and know nothing about these forums that have problems and you or I never hear from? As many units as Onkyo sells I would suspect that failure rate to be very high that you never hear about. And by the way you really need to read the various model threads from Onkyo owners that do have problems with current and past models. You can't find any model threads that don't or haven't had HDMI problems. You have an Onkyo and I hope that you don't have any problems whatsoever, but think about these current problems when you turn it on and without warning you have no sound or picture or maybe both. It's a pain in the butt to take these things out of service and then start the process of dealing with their service department and shipping it off. Not worth it IMO for a product from someone that continues to sell a product they know is faulty. And if they didn't know it is faulty why would they issue a one-time out of warranty fix. Sorry for the rant and you are correct it is only my opinion but I will not recommend any Onkyo to anyone here or anywhere else. There are too many other brands that do work as they are supposed to.
Knucklehead90 likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Really. Ralph Potts stated in that thread his 818 failed in a very short time with very limited use. As for the comment on people that tend to post here and other places with only problems that's just plain silly. How many people buy these AVR's(any brand) and know nothing about these forums that have problems and you or I never hear from? As many units as Onkyo sells I would suspect that failure rate to be very high that you never hear about. And by the way you really need to read the various model threads from Onkyo owners that do have problems with current and past models. You can't find any model threads that don't or haven't had HDMI problems. You have an Onkyo and I hope that you don't have any problems whatsoever, but think about these current problems when you turn it on and without warning you have no sound or picture or maybe both. It's a pain in the butt to take these things out of service and then start the process of dealing with their service department and shipping it off. Not worth it IMO for a product from someone that continues to sell a product they know is faulty. And if they didn't know it is faulty why would they issue a one-time out of warranty fix. Sorry for the rant and you are correct it is only my opinion but I will not recommend any Onkyo to anyone here or anywhere else. There are too many other brands that do work as they are supposed to.

Ralph had a bad experience, no doubt, but he is only one person out of how many 818 owners?  No one seems to have any specific data, and that is fine, I was just looking to see if anyone could back up their claims on Onkyo with more than just "read the threads".  I guess the BBB hasn't come down on them then?  Nor any recalls either.  They may have a higher than average rate of failure, or maybe they outsell other brands, it's hard to prove it either way.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I have an amplifier I only plan to use it as a pre-pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

The UMC-200 has no amplifiers, it's just a pre/pro.

the 818 on the other hand has everything you need. wink.gif
Old 01-08-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedda View Post

All,

Both are available for almost the same price point. Which one would you get?
I don't need the amplifier section just the pre-pro
THanks

Do you have measuring equipment and room acoustics expertise? If yes, then the manual PEQ of the UMC-200 might be something for you. If not, I would recommend the Onkyo. Many more features, no bugs (as opposed to the UMC-200) and built-in amp. I own both.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have an spl meter and some limited experience with room eq.

You have both? Which sounds better? I am most interested in sound performance. I don't care much about video scaling or internet radio

So audussey xt32 or para eq? What wins?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 40
https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html
Another alternative

Regards,
Charlie

Old 01-08-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

+1 on phantom's recommendation to steer clear of Onkyo for the time being. To anyone that has been on this forum for more than a year the problems are well known.

To the OP - I'd stay away from the UMC-200 as well. I've owned both of these units and if I had to choose from the two I'd pick the Onkyo - then sell it asap. In that price range I'd be looking at the Denon X4000 or the Marantz 6008. Or my current favorites - Yamaha. The TOTL 3010 (2010 model) is only $988.

KH,

Good advice smile.gif. I think the Denon X4000 would be the best choice as it has XT32. A bit more than the UMC-200 and the 818 but a great trouble free unit.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedda View Post

I have an spl meter and some limited experience with room eq.

You have both? Which sounds better? I am most interested in sound performance. I don't care much about video scaling or internet radio

So audussey xt32 or para eq? What wins?

They sound the same. It's just about what features you want. One has to be very experienced in acoustics to achieve the results of XT32 manually. On the other hand XT32 doesn't allow for individual room curves other than the two predefined ones.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Old 01-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Liked: 10
Agree with this. I recently had the UMC200/UPA700 bundle and was debating the NR 818. I ended up getting the UMC200/UPA700 and really loved the sound but had 2 issues. 1: there was a static from the subwoofer constantly and changed 2 different subs and 2 cables and another UMC 200 but could not get rid of the static when idle. Spend lot of time with tech support and they reported must be the wiring in my house (its 2011 build to code house) and the same subs were fine on my Marantz and Integra before. 2. The other issue is Video processing as the UMC 200 will not upscale anything in the video world. Other than that the audio sounded fantastic. I returned the UMC200/UPA700 and got the NR818. I can't say there is a sound difference but they are definately different not necessarily one better than the other. I am pleased with the Onkyo and was happy with the UMC200/UPA700 as well except the issues I mentioned. I also purchased a 20$ USB fan which I put it on the Onkyo and have given it ample air clearance. Even after 8 hrs of constant usage it feels ice cool to touch. Hopefully will be able to avoid the HDMI board issue which I had with my Integra earlier. There is never a perfect solution and there is always something better.

Tags
Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread