Receiver upgrade dilemma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good afternoon all. Looking for some advice. I am currently running a Denon 790 receiver that is about 5 years old. I've recently upgraded my front stage speakers to the PSB Imagine T/C combo to go along with PSB Image B4 surrounds and an Outlaw LFM EX1 sub. My next system upgrade will most likely be the receiver. I have read reviews, opinions, and impressions until I'm blue in the face. My question is would it be worthwhile to upgrade to something like a Marantz 5007/6007 that steps up to Multeq XT, slightly more power, and pre-amp outputs (may consider adding an amp later down the road) for $500-600, or should i just hold out and make the bigger step up to something like a Denon X4000, Yamaha Aventage, or Marantz with XT 32?? I care much more about sound quality than i do alot of features, but I'm not so confident in my skills to try to calibrate the system together on a receiver without room correction. I can't imagine ever running dual subs because of the WAF factor, so would XT 32 be a significant upgrade over Multq XT? The receiver that i have now is pretty decent, but i can't add any amplification to it and it only has MultEQ. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 423
You only need to add amplification if your current AVR does not go loud enough. External amplification won't sound any different.

From all reports XT32 is pretty great and a lot of people like the higher end versions of YPAO, 20 and 30 series (eg, 2020, 3030 etc..)

So if you like how it sounds now and it goes loud enough and has the features you need then you won't gain much by changing to another AVR.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron

Tags
Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Marantz Sr6007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver