post #31 of 39 Old 01-14-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

For sure, and really it was more marketing jargon than technical jargon.

At least you understand the game. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 01-18-2014, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

~~Hmmmm...........first the new krell amps in 2003 are now Not class A, but run just as hot because of inadequate heat sinking, oh they sound "whiter" than any vintage Audio Research gear; and no major vender uses then at any major audio shows........ excuse me, except YG acoustics - the 700 cx and it sound like **** on their speaker. Hmmmm..........ok now they have an "E" designation, add a few extra caps for a so called "not so white sound", Dan Agostino now has his own amps, lots of venders use his amp at every major audio show (rave reviews) - Dan's son has new amps, some vendors use the son amps at every major audio show (rave reviews), Stereophile gives the 600e a rave review, no major vendor uses Krell at any major audio show.....including YG Acoustics. Hmmmm..........2013 Krell's biggest mono-blocks have two 3,000va trans formers per mono block and around 140,000 muf of capacitor storage per mono-block, eh those are $50,0000............Constellation Audio is beating Krell at it's game and featured at ALL MAJOR AUDIO SHOWS! Hmmmm.........2014 Krell is now featuring amps with 750 va transformers, with an unknown amount of capacitance. Now is that one 750va transformer per stereo amp, and one 750va transformer per monoblock? Oh **** and we're back to class A biasing again? I'll stick to my now Vintage Krell 700cx that has two 4,000 va transformers (8,000 total), and approximately 80-120,000 muf capacitance. I run the 700cx on a 30 amp dedicated line, the Kps-28c (CD) and KCT (pre-amp) on a dedicated 20 amp line. All going into a pre - "Saha" Wilson Watt puppy 8, transparent Referance mm2. When really want to hear superior sound I add my Audio Research dac w/ meridian meda player. Yeah, I 'm good.....your mileage may vary or you can spend $150,000 for about the same sound......he, he,he....... moral of the story? Hold on to Krells now vintage gear, recap and covet when they made class A, heavy ass, balls to the wall **** that didn't break! This company without Dan Agostino is so Schizophrenic that it can't last long as it is. It will all of a sudden fold because Constellation Audio has gotten it sales.......or it will be resold and go the way of Mark Levinson. Don't get me wrong, I liked the pre 2003 krell gear. You knew what you were getting, heavy as ****, powerful as F--K! and could play any kind of music. The best? no! almost the best? Yes. reasonably priced yes, affordable to budget to middle class audiophile yes. $12,000 for my Krell 700 cx to $35,000 for the 600e replacement, $50,000 for the 900e.............THIS is were Krell went wrong! and sadly, probably, out of business.

post #33 of 39 Old 01-19-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
What I heard were some ultra-clean, transparent amps that happen to take up very little space—fitting in a standard rack. It's the Krell class-A sound you know and love in a much lighter and more compact form-factor. It self-monitors and is controllable through a tablet.

I've listened to Krell gear for over two decades. These new amps embody Krell circa 2014, and the sound quality is amazing.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #34 of 39 Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
^ This sounds great to me. I have a rack no way I was getting any of those old Krell amps in there. And why can't they sound great? Because they don't weigh 100lbs plus. Maybe they are on to something. They actually applied for a patent.
post #35 of 39 Old 01-19-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you imagic for your honest opinion. I really wish I could hear one of there Chorus 7200 amps. I am seriously considering one to go with the Foundation. Maybe a Connect also. Would be the first time I owned a bunch of gear from one company.
post #36 of 39 Old 01-20-2014, 04:58 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

What I heard were some ultra-clean, transparent amps that happen to take up very little space—fitting in a standard rack. It's the Krell class-A sound you know and love in a much lighter and more compact form-factor. It self-monitors and is controllable through a tablet.

I've listened to Krell gear for over two decades. These new amps embody Krell circa 2014, and the sound quality is amazing.

I'm curious. How would the product be both transparent and also have a characteristic sound? Transparent would seem to indicate that the amplifier adds nothing to the sound except an increase in gain. I don't doubt that these amps do that. Where did the "class A sound you know and love" come from? Class A indicates a type of bias, not a characteristic sound.
techie52 likes this.
post #37 of 39 Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

I'm curious. How would the product be both transparent and also have a characteristic sound? Transparent would seem to indicate that the amplifier adds nothing to the sound except an increase in gain. I don't doubt that these amps do that. Where did the "class A sound you know and love" come from? Class A indicates a type of bias, not a characteristic sound.

Krell amps are utterly transparent, that is the characteristic they exhibit. Transparency. As a function of design, class A amps avoids notch distortion and exhibit reduced unwanted high frequency harmonic. Distortion ruins the sense of transparency. hence, class A = transparent = sound of a Krell. The same goes for any other solid-state pure class A amp. Whether any of this can actually be heard is the subject of another discussion. I use class D amps and don't sweat it for a minute.

Nevertheless, the formula is simple: Krell = class A = transparent sound.

Probably the best analogy for amplification is that amps are like vodka. They are all supposed to be exactly the same product, but some are cleaner/purer than others. It's that cleanness that defines the quality of the product, as opposed to some other characteristic.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #38 of 39 Old 01-28-2014, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

~~I don’t doubt that the sound is (classic?) Krell. However, I question whether an amplifier with a 750va transformer (or is it two?) is capable of controlling the most demanding speakers on the scene today. This was Krell’s forte, the ability to control any speaker; and doubling the power output down to 1 ohm. Furthermore, will this “clean clear” sound you mention be sonically compatible with the major speaker manufactures today? I have not heard the last generation Evolution Krells sound very good with any of them (YG, Magico, Focal etc.). In as far as fitting in a rack … I could care less, it’s the result that matters. How many true audiophile are going to reject Soulution Audio’s large boxy amps for not fitting in racks (their small "rack-able" class D $50,000 amps aren’t bad either)? The same can be said about MBL, Pass Labs, and Constellation Audio.

post #39 of 39 Old 01-29-2014, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I guess the amp at CES was on a pair of Yg. And they said it sounded fantastic. Someone on Krells Facebook page said he needs to take another trip to vegas. He said he needs to go back and get his jaw after it hit the floor. He said he got a nice demo of what the amp was capable of.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Ces 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page