AVR Upgrade - multi-channel or stereo amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
Im currently running a Yamaha RX-V3900, cerwin vega e-715 mains, cv e-6c centre & jay car kit speakers as rears.
Since upgrading from my RX-V3200 the E715's don't seem to have the same thump when listening to music & sound a lethargic / lacking detail when played anything less than loud. I am looking at either adding a multichannel power amp or a more powerful stereo amp connected through the AVR pre-outs. I intend to buy second hand around the $1,000 mark which could be stretched.
Would a stereo amp at around 250-300wrms/channel yield a noticeable result in both movies & music when connected through the pre-outs or would i be best looking at a multichannel amp such as a nad t973?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I also have the V3900. I'm very impressed with it for movies but I don't use it for two channel music - I much prefer my HK990 integrated amp. You might want to consider one to give that two channel the omph you seem to have lost. Harman Kardon HK990. That is a refurbished unit which will save you $1000 over the price of a new one. Comes with the same 2 year warranty as new.

I've had the HK990 for several months now - it is an awesome unit! Enough power to drive any speaker you'd ever want to connect to it - and it has mono-block amps inside unlike many other integrated amps. It has room correction - the same as in the top of the line HD7550 AVR. It equalizes two subs individually - something not found on AVRs for under $1200 that I know of. Makes a notable difference in my listening space. It'll power the front L/R speakers in the home theater bypass mode - bypassing the Yamaha amps for the L/R speakers. It allows the Yamaha to send the L/R signal to the HK990 to power the front L/R mains - the same ones that the HK990 powers in 2 channel. It also has moving magnet and moving coil phono inputs which I find very good - AND has built in DACs for digital content to be sent directly to the HK990 - so it has great analog and DACs built in. I don't turn on the Yamaha for anything but movies. Quite the integrated amp - and there are few who make any such machine other than HK. Stereophile did a review of it a year or so ago.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-09-2014, 04:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dayhew View Post

Hi All,
I'm currently running a Yamaha RX-V3900, cerwin vega e-715 mains, cv e-6c centre & jay car kit speakers as rears.

No subwoofer?

How is YPAO treating you?

Where are you in terms of acoustic treatments for your listening room?

The knee-jerk response towards spending more and more money on expensive electronics and totally ignoring the established fact that speakers and room acoustics have been the limit to the sound quality of virtually any home audio system all along is really quite overpowering.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-09-2014, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the HK990 looks like a very nice piece of kit, with the usual price gouge the australian market tax importers put on everything its a little outside my reach.
I don't have a subwoofer, my e715's so provide quite a decent rumble for movies. YPAO I could give or take, the delay & speaker gain are a nice feature, built in eq not so much. Pure direct has a better sound.
My room acoustics are not great.. 26x19 feet, timber floor with carpet, a number of windows
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V3900bl Receiver , Yamaha Rx V3200 Av Receiver , Cerwin Vega E 715 15 Inch 3 Way Floorstanding Speaker Black Ash Single , Harman Kardon Avr7550hd 7 2 Channel Audio Video Receiver , Harman Kardon Hk990 2x150 Watt 2 2 Channel Stereo Integrated Amplifier Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page