Yamaha 2030 or 3030 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have no other choice, either the 2030 or the 3030 receiver.

Done some research, no last year models now in stores. And its Yamaha I can get where I live at prices I can live with. other brands on webshops at premium high prices.

Forgive me for this asking - why should I buy the 3030 and not 2030. Whats the big difference on these 2 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Liked: 50
I would want the better room correction and DAC in the 3030. Not sure if it's worth the ~200 price increase though.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

You might want to go to Yamaha's web site and compare the two:

http://no.yamaha.com/no/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage-series/?selected=497305_497303_&mode=compare

You can also download the manuals, which is a good idea to read before spending so much money.

If you want an 11.2 system, you should go with the RX-A3030.  It also allows greater adjustment in its video processing.  There are a few other differences as well.  But most likely, the RX-A2030 is all you need (and probably, more than you need).

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking of sound quality. Most reviewers praise 3030 for the mesmerizing, marvelous, spacious audio it produces. In fact lift ones hometheater presence to the state of Elysium compared to low end receivers like marantz 5006. A difference so vibrant obvious any novice should hear brightly momentarily when listening to the 3030.

Is 2030 that fantasticly superb convincely lifting a session watching then bluray movies as 3030 ?
I guess thats my concern. I have only seven PSB speakers and two Sws twelve inch subs. Kind of rural simplé my setup yes.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

I was thinking of sound quality. Most reviewers praise 3030 for the mesmerizing, marvelous, spacious audio it produces. In fact lift ones hometheater presence to the state of Elysium compared to low end receivers like marantz 5006. A difference so vibrant obvious any novice should hear brightly momentarily when listening to the 3030.

Is 2030 that fantasticly superb convincely lifting a session watching then bluray movies as 3030 ?
I guess thats my concern. I have only seven PSB speakers and two Sws twelve inch subs. Kind of rural simplé my setup yes.

Assuming that one does not use any feature differently that would affect the sound, I seriously doubt that anyone could hear the difference between them in a properly conducted double blind test.

Most people, though, do not do any such thing, and so human bias creeps into their judgements.

By the way, I like Yamaha receivers and use them myself.  That is because they are good and reliable.  But they are not magic.  I think either model of Yamaha will sound great. If you don't need or want any of the features that the RX-A3030 has that the RX-A2030 lacks, then the cheaper one will be the better buy.  Of course, if you have money to burn, or want bragging rights by owning the top of the line, go ahead and spend the extra money.  Or if you need any of its extra features.

dryasanne likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Liked: 50
I agree with Jack. Unless you want to take advantage of the additional sound modes in the 3030 DSP my guess is they would sound very similar. I can't find any information on whether or not the angle-measurement feature of the room correction does anything extra to improve the experience if you are not running front and/or rear presence speakers and using the dsp sound modes. That and the better ESS DAC in the 3030 would make me want to test out the 3030 (although honestly its quite possible the DAC is different to upsell the higher model - they may produce nearly identical output which is more dependent on the implementation than the DAC itself).

Buy from somewhere that has a good return policy. Buy both, test both, return the one you don't want.
dryasanne likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
+2
Unless the 3030 has something lacking in the 2030 get the 2030.

And a general +1 for Yamaha. I have an RX-V3900 and love it. So what that it is 3 years old? It'll last me another 10 years.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #8 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I have no other choice, either the 2030 or the 3030 receiver.

Done some research, no last year models now in stores. And its Yamaha I can get where I live at prices I can live with. other brands on webshops at premium high prices.

Forgive me for this asking - why should I buy the 3030 and not 2030. Whats the big difference on these 2 ?

RX-A3030 RX-A2030

pre out x 11 channels RX-A3030 pre out x 7 RX-A2030
Cinema DSP HD3 RX-A3030 Cinema DSP 3D RX-A2030
Backlight illumination remote RX-A3030
Speaker angle measurment RX-A3030
VPS...Virtual Presence Speaker RX-A3030
note: the 3030 and 2030 share the same owners manual.

Espo77
post #9 of 14 Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Now we are talking ....

What does this speaker angle adjustment mean for me at home watching Life of Pi, Dredd, Into Darkness, Riddick vol three etc ?

And Cinema -- HD 3 vz 3D - whats the difference for me at home watching my benq 1070 on a 106" Grandview screen??
post #10 of 14 Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now we are talking ....

What does this speaker angle adjustment mean for me at home watching Life of Pi, Dredd, Into Darkness, Riddick vol three etc ?

And Cinema -- HD 3 vz 3D - whats the difference for me at home watching my benq 1070 on a 106" Grandview screen??

The angle measurement attemps to go one more step to make adjustments to the angle of each speaker, to put the listener in a more convincible sound field. Don't know enough about the difference between the HD3 vs 3D, and I am still learning how to opperate my 3030...LOL.

Espo77
post #11 of 14 Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

So,

a) Can a 2030 /3030 fully REPLACE my SONOS CONNECT box (Formerly the ZonePlayer 90) ?

b) Is there a full fledge phono amp inside, so I can connect my recordplayer which is equiped with a expensive ortofon BLUE mc cartridge?
(I know the 3030 has phono in with ground.

If so, that means at less 2 boxes less in my system, a step forward to a greener world ....

c) Spotify connnect -- works perfect. What about my two, I subscribe to mog and Pandora, will these also play just as nicely and hassle-free ??

d) To make that clear, I dont own any windows/ ms-dos computer. I have only products designed in California, two Ipads, one Macbook pro and a Iphone 4.x

e) Reading the Yamaha website, I get the impression that 3030 has a different and better DAC than the 2030 -- Really ?? (ESS Technology 192 kHz/32 bit ES9016 DAC)

f) What is MHL ?

g) Subwoofer trim, a function that should give my subs a "Boost" ? I didnt understand that one either, sorry.

h) That ECO mode, does it interfer with audio / video qualtity ??
post #12 of 14 Old 01-11-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So,

a) Can a 2030 /3030 fully REPLACE my SONOS CONNECT box (Formerly the ZonePlayer 90) ?

b) Is there a full fledge phono amp inside, so I can connect my recordplayer which is equiped with a expensive ortofon BLUE mc cartridge?
(I know the 3030 has phono in with ground.

If so, that means at less 2 boxes less in my system, a step forward to a greener world ....

c) Spotify connnect -- works perfect. What about my two, I subscribe to mog and Pandora, will these also play just as nicely and hassle-free ??

d) To make that clear, I dont own any windows/ ms-dos computer. I have only products designed in California, two Ipads, one Macbook pro and a Iphone 4.x

e) Reading the Yamaha website, I get the impression that 3030 has a different and better DAC than the 2030 -- Really ?? (ESS Technology 192 kHz/32 bit ES9016 DAC)

f) What is MHL ?

g) Subwoofer trim, a function that should give my subs a "Boost" ? I didnt understand that one either, sorry.

h) That ECO mode, does it interfer with audio / video qualtity ??

I'll answer one of your many questions LOL...MHL is "Mobile High-Definition Link" and is designed to connect devices like IPhones and tablets to TV's and receivers.

Espo77
post #13 of 14 Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Neither Yamaha is set up for a MC cartridge.  Both are designed for MM cartridges.  I doubt you will find very many, if any, home theater receivers with built-in MC phono inputs.

No one is going to be able to tell you definitively if a Yamaha receiver is going to be as trouble-free for your streaming needs as what you already have.  You will have to try it and see.

The RX-A3030 does have "better" DACs than the ones in the Yamaha RX-A2030.  But you are unlikely to hear any difference at all.  Once a certain level of performance is achieved, you will not hear any improvement even if the one measures better.  I would bet that no one could hear any difference in a properly conducted double-blind test.  The Yamaha RX-A2030 has superb DACs.  Companies will go ahead and put in things that measure better, because there will always be someone who imagines he can hear a difference, no matter what the truth of the matter might be.  If a competitor had it and Yamaha did not, then those people would go with the other brand.  This is why it is necessary for companies to put in things that are better than they need to be, that make no audible difference at all.

From looking at what the manual says (page 102), the "subwoofer trim" control seems to just be a level control for the subwoofer.  Either the manual is poorly written, or it is nothing special at all.

If they have not changed it, you can read about the "ECO" mode here from a review of a previous model:

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-a2020-aventage

In short, do not use "ECO" mode.  Read the review if you want to know more.

Oh yeah.  The fifth foot on the bottom is silly.  It does not hurt anything, but their claims about it are ridiculous.  I still like Yamaha, but they are not unwilling to do things to sell products to silly people.  Keep that in mind when considering the need for "better" DACs than are found in the RX-A2030.

post #14 of 14 Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Page 43 of the manual tells you about the MC situation, by the way.  It is just as I state in my post above.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page