Onkyo TX-NR626 or Yamaha RX-V673? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Which should I use to power this 5.1 setup?

Pioneer SP-FS52 Floorstanding for L/R; Pioneer SP-C22 for center; 2 Pioneer SP-BS22 for surrounds; BIC F12 sub

Details:

I'm mainly interested in movie/sports/games performance.  My place is not acoustically friendly (ie. open design 2 story apartment with tile floors).  The room/area for the system is approx 10x20' with an opening in the middle extending into an approx 20x10' space.  I'll section off the area with bookshelves (or something) and make a pseudo 10x10' TV room and also put some rugs/carpets down.

So which receiver? Thoughts/suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have that 673 and it's a solid little receiver.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

How's the room correction compared to MultEQ?  I have a feeling my place will need pretty decent room correction software.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258

I would pick Yamaha over Onkyo for a receiver every time.  This is from reading online complaints that people have regarding reliability.  Judging from that, Yamaha seems to be as reliable as you can get.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

I would pick Yamaha over Onkyo for a receiver every time.  This is from reading online complaints that people have regarding reliability.  Judging from that, Yamaha seems to be as reliable as you can get.

From what I read, it was mainly a firmware issue that was resolved.  Onkyo just has issues when releasing new products.

post #6 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
+1 on the Yamaha. Don't know what the budget is but another member has pointed the model below out to me and its an excellent buy at that price. Give it a serious look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115377&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146852&SID=1ljhxocszolpb
post #7 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloomy25 View Post

Quote:

From what I read, it was mainly a firmware issue that was resolved.  Onkyo just has issues when releasing new products.

People have complained about HDMI board failures and overheating with various Onkyo receivers.  Those are not merely firmware problems (though I would pick a receiver without firmware problems over one with firmware problems anyway).

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

+1 on the Yamaha. Don't know what the budget is but another member has pointed the model below out to me and its an excellent buy at that price. Give it a serious look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115377&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146852&SID=1ljhxocszolpb

That's about my limit on what I want to spend for a receiver.

Quote:

People have complained about HDMI board failures and overheating with various Onkyo receivers.  Those are not merely firmware problems (though I would pick a receiver without firmware problems over one with firmware problems anyway).

Hmm. Well let's just say this...taking reliability out of the equation (not realistic, but still), which is the better receiver for my setup?  

Is YPAO or Audyssey MultiEQ a better room correction software?

post #9 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

That's about my limit on what I want to spend for a receiver.

Hmm. Well let's just say this...taking reliability out of the equation (not realistic, but still), which is the better receiver for my setup?  

Either of these will work. Not a lot of difference between these two versions IMO. Below is a compare from Yamaha on the 673 vs 773

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?selected=372801_372797_&mode=compare

The 773 also uses multi-point YPAO whereas the 663 doesn't
post #10 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have never seen a proper test that would answer that question.  Many people have opinions on this without facts, though, so you may get people giving opinions anyway.

Both should do a good job of setting levels and delays.  I would not totally trust either for selecting the crossovers.  But that tends to be easy to do manually, so it does not matter much.  I personally would not select based on that.

post #11 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Either of these will work. Not a lot of difference between these two versions IMO. Below is a compare from Yamaha on the 673 vs 773

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?selected=372801_372797_&mode=compare

The 773 also uses multi-point YPAO whereas the 663 doesn't

Well, thanks a lot! Originally, I was going to save money by going with the 673 instead of the Onkyo. Now I feel as thought the 673 isn't even an option and I won't be saving money haha.

Quote:

I have never seen a proper test that would answer that question.  Many people have opinions on this without facts, though, so you may get people giving opinions anyway.

Both should do a good job of setting levels and delays.  I would not totally trust either for selecting the crossovers.  But that tends to be easy to do manually, so it does not matter much.  I personally would not select based on that.

Valid point. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

I have that 673 and it's a solid little receiver.

Do you use the dialogue lift on your 673? Does it actually work?

post #12 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM

I do not use Dialoge Lift if it is something that needs to be set up. I have it running in a 5.1 channel configuration and it sounds good. Better to me than other Denon and Onkyo receivers. But speakers and room have more to do with it.

Pick a receiver based on features, sound quality, components, etc. Get the best room correction that you can get, but room eq should not be the primarly decison maker. The 673 corrects my room better than my Denon X4000 (at least how it sounds to me). I am going through an overhaul soon though (new speakers, receiver, etc) so my opinion may change afterward.

If I had to choose between an X2000 or an X4000 I may pick a higher model for the room EQ. I would not choose Audyseey over YPAO or MCACC unless I already knew the components and sound quality of the receiver itself were already superior. In the low end I think I still prefer Yamaha.

In my opinion I would get a receiver where you can tweak the EQ after it runs (target curve changes, adjustable PEQ, etc). Audyssey could never get my room right (no matter how I measured - best practice measureing or not). I couldn't do anything about it without paying for Audyssey Pro with a $700 upcharge. Yamaha and Pioneer allows you to make changes afterward on most models. Although Audyssey is the only room EQ that will EQ subwoofers (outside of 2030/3030 Yamaha). I would suggest REW, USB Mic, and MiniDSP or simliar to EQ your own subwoofers. Then you can also measure and adjust your room to your liking if you don't like how your system sounds after running room eq.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM

Liked: 15
Denon 1713 is a solid 5.1 receiver.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-09-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wronganswer View Post

Denon 1713 is a solid 5.1 receiver.

I agree with this. This was the very first receiver that I tested in my quest for the best affordable receiver. It doesn't do everything I require now, but at the time it produced good output. Had I replaced my speakers sooner than I did I may very well be running the 1713 today.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 PM

I first bought the 626 in late fall.  Things worked fine and I did not experience most of the problems folks have mentioned on the thread on this forum.  I had an older non-hdmi Onkyo for many years without problem.  However, I had wired network connectivity for a total of one day and then lost it, never to get it back.  I tried multiple attempts of updating the firmware with different USB drives and reset the receiver to factory settings twice.  Very disappointing since I've always loved Onkyo.  Amazon even sent me a replacement receiver and I had the same network problem.

In the end I sent the 626 back and got a v673 and have been very happy with it.  An added bonus is the built in airplay.  I never got to use the usb plug in for the Onkyo, so I can't speak to the ipod interface.  With the 673 I can plug in my old ipod into the USB on the yamaha and can navigate all menus and songs plus I get cover art (both on TV via HDMI out and on the ipad app).

I am not an audiophile, but the 5.1 surround works very well producing clear and loud (if desired) sound.  I am currently running zone 2 speakers in living room and that works great as well.

I think both receivers are comparable in terms of features and sound quality.  They both have similar featured ipad/iphone apps and the Yamaha edges out on overall features with Airplay built in (audio only).

If the Onkyo really is trouble free now that they've sorted out the problems, then you can't lose with your choice.  For me, I am pretty much done with Onkyo.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp C22 Center Channel Speaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page