Need replacement for AVR-3808 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HDMI board of my AVR-3808 is broken, and I'm looking to replace this AV receiver. Which AV receiver would you recommend?

My HT room consists of 4x B&W 602 front and rear speakers, 1x B&W CC6 center, 2x B&W DS3 surround speakers and 1 B&W ASW-1000 sub.

The AV receiver will have to feed 2 HDMI outputs: a Panasonic PT-AE2000 projector and a Samsung tv. If possible, I would like to feed an HDMI signal to the tv without having to power on the AV receiver (in order to make it as easy as possible for my wife).

Primary source for the projector will be an XBMC player and a WII U console. Primary source for the tv will be a tv settop box.

I have looked at Marantz SR6008, Denon AVR-X3000, Onkyo TX-NR626, Yamaha RX-A830 and Yamaha RX-V575. But I have no clue what the best receiver would be for my needs.

Final thoughts:
- I liked my AVR3808, but the settings and GUI were sometimes not user-friendly (I hope the GUI has improved since then)
- budget: < 800 eur
- as I'm living in Europe, not all models are the same as in the US

I hope you can help me to shed some light on my quest.

Ivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Hey Europe! Ready to kick our ass in world cup soccer? Can't wait? eh.

Try to find the European version of the Yamaha 773.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115377

It is just like the 820 with less hdmi in. It has the 2 zone and wife bypass you need.
Full preamp out in case you want external amps or eq. Remote control has 17
input buttons! Runs very cool, quiet and reliable. Should be under 400 euro much
less 800. Comes with wifi and airplay.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the same boat. I have enjoyed my 3808 for quite some time, but I just upgraded my display (Panny 65VT60) and I want/need new video processing and more inputs. I'd also like something that is 9.2 so I can play around with front height speakers.

It seems like Denon has gotten quite cheap lately (plastic facings, etc). In fact most brands seem to only make super low end (sub $500) and super high end ($2000+) models these days. I guess the middle class is going away.

I've been looking at the Pioneer Elite SC-75, Marantz 6008 and Anthem 510. The Pioneer wins out in features, but I can't help but think the other 2 will sound better. Anyone have more experience with these 3, or can they recommend something else?
post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2014, 03:05 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Most current mid level models will feature the HDMI Standby pass through feature to pass the HDMI audio/video through to the TV while the AVR is in standby. The 3808 uses Audyssey MultEQ XT which is also featured on both the Marantz SR6008 and its sister model the Denon X3000. Both of these units feature a Zone 2 (HDMI) output (rather than a second main zone HDMI output which is more common for PJ use). Upgrading to the Marantz SR7008 or the Denon X4000 will not only get you the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32, but also a 2nd main zone HDMI monitor output in addition to the Zone 2 (HDMI) output. So, boils down to your budget.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3808ci Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rx A830 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Marantz Sr6008
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page