Can I use a power sound bar as a center channel. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a power sound bar and thinking of getting a new AV receiver. I like to HDMI ease of switching on the AV and network capabilities If i purchase and AV with pre-amp out can i send the center pre-out to the sound bar only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
You would get much better sound by buying a good AVR and two good front speakers, and get a matching center speaker.

Sound bars pretty much suck, so why go to all that trouble.

I recommend a NAD AVR; much better amplifier sound quality than most others.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Yes, if you like.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I all ready own the sound bar, Martin Logan Motion and have front speaker. I would try and sell the sound bar but won't get half of what I pay for it. So i'm thinking of using it as a center channel speaker and getting Yamaha RX-V773 which has Pre outputs. By the way this sound bar sounds great, it's just with a AV receiver it just make things easier to manage with the HDMI ports and networking. I just didn't know if I could just use the center Pre out only. thanks for your help..
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 PM

Liked: 10

Hi there,

I am in a similar situation-- just starting to build my home ent center, and for my constraints right now (budget, space, speaker placement) a soundbar seems the best option for me. However, if I'm going to spend a few hundred on the soundbar, I'd really like if it would be compatible with a more advanced system I want to build in the future (7.1 theater surround).

Is there any way you can clarify if there are any tradeoffs with the A/V id be forced to pick, given that I would like to use the soundbar as the center channel? Does a A/V with pre-amp outputs cost more to set up then one that does not have pre-amp?

I'm new to this, so I appreciate the patience. Thanks!

post #6 of 8 Old 02-21-2014, 03:41 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenroj View Post

I all ready own the sound bar, Martin Logan Motion and have front speaker. I would try and sell the sound bar but won't get half of what I pay for it. So i'm thinking of using it as a center channel speaker and getting Yamaha RX-V773 which has Pre outputs. By the way this sound bar sounds great, it's just with a AV receiver it just make things easier to manage with the HDMI ports and networking. I just didn't know if I could just use the center Pre out only. thanks for your help..

An AVR requires at a minimum 2.0 (ie. FL/FR speakers), so no. Just connect it to the TV for now until you are ready to add FL/FR speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2014, 03:47 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfosho View Post

Hi there,
I am in a similar situation-- just starting to build my home ent center, and for my constraints right now (budget, space, speaker placement) a soundbar seems the best option for me. However, if I'm going to spend a few hundred on the soundbar, I'd really like if it would be compatible with a more advanced system I want to build in the future (7.1 theater surround).

Is there any way you can clarify if there are any tradeoffs with the A/V id be forced to pick, given that I would like to use the soundbar as the center channel? Does a A/V with pre-amp outputs cost more to set up then one that does not have pre-amp?

I'm new to this, so I appreciate the patience. Thanks!

The drawback, is that a sound bar is generally designed to provide more than just center channel audio, not to mention the FL/C/FR speakers should all ideally come from the same family of speakers for proper timber matching. You would be better served simply moving the sound bar to another TV when you are ready to build your 7.1 setup. AVRs with pre-outs will generally cost more than those without pre-outs, although depends on the brand as to how far down the line they go. For Denon AVRs, the X4000 is the lowest current model with main zone pre-outs while with Marantz, the lowest models NR1504 and NR1604 both have the FL/FR pre-outs while the SR5008, SR6008, and SR7008 all have at least 7.1 pre-outs.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 PM

Liked: 10

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm most likely still going with the soundbar for now but its good to know what I'm getting into!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page